[RELEASE] Bash Bunny 1.1

Darren Kitchen

2 minutes ago, zoro25 said:

Nope that's missing. :-(

That means you're probably not on the latest version. Make sure your firmware tarball hash matches the provided one on the download page.

If your BB is acting like it's upgrading but ends up on a solid blue LED instead of a slowly blinking blue LED, your upgrade failed.

Also, if there's no 'docs', 'tools' or 'languages' folder in your USB storage, you're not on the latest version.

Edited by LowValueTarget
  • Upvote 1

It never goes through the upgrade process, just goes straight from green to blinking blue. 

I'll try and do a recovery

**EDIT**

All good after the recovery, device must have been in a weird state, 

for anyone else who gets same issue to fix, 

insert and pull it out as soon as the green light turns off (do this 3 times) 

on the 4th insert it will go into recovery mode. 

Once this is done remove the bunny (use the safe removal feature on windows) 

and then making sure that you have the file still in root insert the bunny again and it will flash the new firmware.

As LVT mentioned above after the flash of new firmware you should have a text file called version.txt inside should be 1.1_228

PS LowValueTarget thanks for the help and advice above :-)

Edited by zoro25
  • Upvote 2

I have an issue with 1.1 firmware : the payloads are not executing...

the bashbunny is always blinking blue.

I tried to change the switch1/payload.txt to

LED R SLOW

but it's still blinking blue.

It seems that the script /usr/local/bunny/bin/bunny_framework is not executed.

I noticed that my /etc/rc.local is :

-e #!/bin/sh -e

exit 0

is that normal ?

Edit:

how is the "payload runner" (equivalent of the old /root/bash_bunny.sh) supposed to be executed in this 1.1 firmware ?

because it seems it's not working as intended.

Edit:

it's now working after a "reflash" of 1.1 firmware...

8 hours ago, Yak said:

anything to watch out for with regard of legacy payloads? or just go ahead and see how it turns out?

8 hours ago, CastleBrav0 said:

will there be backwards compatibility issues with 1.0v written payloads?

Yeah, it's possible old payloads do not work in regards to LED codes, and bunny_helpers.sh is now outdated. We will be pushing changes to the github payloads repository today.

tools and laguages remained empty?

2 hours ago, W4X7 said:

Nice.  i was waiting for the DUCKY_LANG option, but there is still only us.json  .  :(

i need de.json

This is correct -- we do not ship any tools by default (this is up to the user), and we do not support languages other than us right now. Once people create and verify other keyboard layouts, they will be added to the payloads repository, and therefore make it to user's Bash Bunnies. If you are waiting for a language, it's really not too difficult to modify the us.json for your layout.

7 hours ago, nwlutz said:

Could a flash-able version of firmware 1.0 be posted so those wanting to go back can, or is this not something planned?

There is no need, as factory resetting your Bash Bunny will ALWAYS revert it back to 1.0_167.

2 hours ago, WatskeBart said:

You mean v1.0 ;)

Just backup your own v1.0 firmware, it's located in /root/private/root/ch_fw_1.0_167.tar.gz you have to mount it first though with:

mount /dev/nandg /root/private

Be careful not to delete anything as this is your recovery partition.

After the v1.1 update, the v1.0 firmware will still be available inside your recovery partition.

DO NOT DO THIS!!! I am actually going to remove your post because we DO NOT want users to modify the recovery partition. If you break it, you brick your Bash Bunny.

1 hour ago, quack said:

it seems that the procedure to install the tools has changed. The script looks for /root/udisk/tools/*.deb

This is only partially correct. We install .deb files AND move folders / files over to /tools

1 hour ago, quack said:

Great except that impacket and responder are not in .deb format .

Funny you should say that, I already packaged these for Darren, but he hasn't made the links public yet. Once he pushes his updated payloads, I'm sure he'll make the links available.

1 hour ago, Idefix said:

Why is the RUN Variable for Linux OS UNITY and not simply LINUX or GNOME or ....

Unity is dead

Kali Linux use Gnome!

Simple. Unity probably one of the most wide-spread DEs out there, due to the sheer amount of Ubuntu users. While ubuntu is switching to GNOME, that's not happening until next year. I'm sure we'll have support for other OS / DE combinations by then.

I'll be on irc.hak5.org #bashbunny all day today to answer any questions you guys might have.

• Upvote 3

hey all,

So I tried to update the firmware and now i am getting nothing. So I decided to try to go back and here is what i get:

plug/unplug 3 times then plug in get the green then switch over to red flashing ( all seems good). It flashes for about 4 minutes, then I get a blue to red flashing (about 6 alternating flashes) then long red. I get the green led, showing it is rebooting but then I get the red flashing again but this time it is only about 1 minute, then nothing. I have left it plugged it in to see if it is doing anything (about 15 minutes). Finally unplug and let the BB cool down and plug it in and all i get is the green led then nothing.

any advice?

1 minute ago, jafahulo said:

Hey guys, My BB won't recognise the update files. I've read through everything everyone has said here, and have done a firmware reset on my BB and still no cigar... Anybody have any thoughts / ideas? Thanks!

http://wiki.bashbunny.com/#!downloads.md

re-read that carefully. If it's still not working, provide more details of where it fails, what you've done, etc. and I'm sure someone will be able to help out.

12 minutes ago, LowValueTarget said:

http://wiki.bashbunny.com/#!downloads.md

re-read that carefully. If it's still not working, provide more details of where it fails, what you've done, etc. and I'm sure someone will be able to help out.

yeahh, my bad. Sorry about that, My computer auto extracted the files after I downloaded them so I totally forgot to just throw the entire compressed file on my bash bunny. Thanks for the help!

Impacket Tools impacket_0.9.15_1.deb

https://github.com/qdba/bashbunny-payloads/tree/version_2.1/payloads/library/DumpCreds_2.1/tools

Put the deb file into <root>\tools folder - remove Bunny safely - reinsert in arming mode.

It will be installed to /tools/impacket.

Edited by qdba
  • Upvote 1

There is a Error ( or is it a Feature ). 

There is a timeout approx. 1 min after this timeout the payload stops.

Run attached payload and look at /log.txt 

The payload stops after a minute

payload.txt

------------------------------------[Solved] ------------------------------------------------

Look there --- Gucksch du hier :-)

Edited by qdba

Super stoked about the firmware upgrade.  Firmware update goes smoothly. However, trying to update the payloads via tools_installer folder. Moving all the contents to switch1 and then starting in that switch position.  However it seems to do nothing with this and as a result there are no payloads that are actually functioning when loaded into the given switch positions.  Anybody else having these sort of issues? I've looked through the previous posts and it seems some minor issues are reporting, but on a whole things are working....I cant seem to get the install process outlined in the forums and in the readme.txt. I see there will be an update via the git soon.  Should I just wait for that? Or is there a new install process for the payloads?  Thanks a bunch for making awesome tools!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, qdba said:

Impacket Tools impacket_0.9.15_1.deb

https://github.com/qdba/bashbunny-payloads/tree/version_2.1/payloads/library/DumpCreds_2.1/tools

Put the deb file into <root>\tools folder - remove Bunny safely - reinsert in arming mode.

It will be installed to /tools/impacket.

Hey dude, any chance of making a responder.deb file too? I attempted it and failed using the same archive layout as your impacket file.

thanks

Well this sucks. My bb never seemed to work right since the day I got it, It would run simple payloads, but it never seemed to be able to save anything in the loot folder, half of the time. even after the 3 reboot forced factory reset.  Then I saw this and I was like, ALRIGHT!!

Followed the instructions to a tee, then about 25 seconds in to blinking red, LED went dead. Thought, okay, maybe this is normal. 25 minutes later, no blinking blue. Figured it was well past the 10 minute mark. Plugging in on any one of the switches, I get the green initialize light then dead LED, no reaction from my computer detecting any device. 

She's bricked boys :(

EDIT: Forgot to add that yes, I did check the hashes. Sorry I didn't contact before, I got my Pineapple Tetra and it was kinda pushed to the back shelf. You know how it is. 

Edited by Ev!c70r
YET ANOTHER EDIT: Learned the hard way why you should never update on a Mac, my daily driver. Ran it on my Win10 box and she updated just fine.

16 hours ago, LowValueTarget said:

You can simply take the contents of the tools_to_install folder in the tools_install payload.

You'll have this directory structure on your bash bunny (USB Storage):

tools -->
    ./responder/
    ./impacket/

Safely eject, make sure the device is in arming mode and insert. The BB will automatically copy the contents of the folder to /tools/. If you throw a deb in there, it will run `dpkg -i <your deb files>`

Great!  Thanks!  This worked for me.

Then, a few lines changed in quickcreds and it's working again.

Hi.

My upgrade isn't working.

I did the following steps (I followed the upgrade guide in the wiki):

1. copy the downloaded firmware file to the root of the flash drive
2. Safely eject the Bash Bunny flash drive
3. Put the bunny back into my Mac Book Pro

What happened is that I see the the green light for some seconds. Then the bunny moved to red blinking for about 10 to 20 seconds. After that the light gets dark.

I waited several minutes but nothing happens except that the bunny gets really hot.

I left the bunny in the USB port for for about half an our or more. Still no lights.

Then I plugged out the bunny and after I plugged it back in I get it recovered to the v1.0 firmware.

I tried this several times. Also with the bunny plugged into a USB charger from my iPhone. But the results are the same.

Any Idea what happened and how I can solve this?

Thx

19 hours ago, zoro25 said:

It never goes through the upgrade process, just goes straight from green to blinking blue. 

I'll try and do a recovery

**EDIT**

All good after the recovery, device must have been in a weird state, 

for anyone else who gets same issue to fix, 

insert and pull it out as soon as the green light turns off (do this 3 times) 

on the 4th insert it will go into recovery mode. 

Once this is done remove the bunny (use the safe removal feature on windows) 

and then making sure that you have the file still in root insert the bunny again and it will flash the new firmware.

As LVT mentioned above after the flash of new firmware you should have a text file called version.txt inside should be 1.1_228

PS LowValueTarget thanks for the help and advice above :-)

even after i did a recovery i can't get through the upgrade process, just goes straight from green to blinking blue again 

6 hours ago, defiant said:

Great!  Thanks!  This worked for me.

Then, a few lines changed in quickcreds and it's working again.

How did you get quickcreds to work. Mine refuses to work.

EDIT: Will there be an update to bunny_helpers.sh?

Edited by Bryfi