What GPU and CPU is ideal for Penetration testing role job?

Srazario

On 3/31/2017 at 11:41 PM, digip said:

It's a PCI Express 3.0 x16 card.

It will work on a PCI 2.0 board, but not at full capabilities and will rate limit to the 2.0 bus speeds. With gaming, generally not a huge issue unless a high end game. It will play fine but not be able to max out settings to Ultra for example, without bottlenecking the system and can actually cause the machine to lag. 

I will go for  PCI Express 3.0 x16 then. Can you suggest any good motherboard for long run and very good for the GTX 1080 Ti GPU?. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Srazario said:

I will go for  PCI Express 3.0 x16 then. Can you suggest any good motherboard for long run and very good for the GTX 1080 Ti GPU?. 

Thanks

Building a PC very often is a personal preference thing. I'm an AMD CPU guy for my desktops, saves money, and I don't need the most expensive high end stuff. Choose what you need and what fits your budget, whichever preference you have for Intel or AMD CPU's which will also determine the motherboard. If you've built your own machine before, this should be something you figure out quickly with the specs that meet what you want including expandability, future proofing as much as possible, etc. Many things are outdated soon as you build it, so chasing hardware is not something I like to do and try to go with what meets my needs, but also max out things like memory and available drive space, cooling needs, etc. \

My current machine is little more than a year old, but also doesn't have a 3.0 PCIE board, and is already outdated. I'm maxed out on ram at 32GB, running a 4.7Ghz 8-core(really 4 but multi-threaded) that is liquid cooled with an Nvidia 780ti and is mainly used for work in photoshop and I can run multiples of VM's from windows to linux all at the same time for playing with my own lab on a single machine as host system. My last machine I built, was PCIE 2.0 as well, 6-core Phenom but was what was available to me in 2009 for the price and is still a decent machine by todays standards, but not as beefy as my current rig.

If I wanted to build a password cracking machine, I'd probably look at other peoples builds, their insight, and see not just what worked for them, but what hasn't, and how you can improve on their designs to make it better. No sense in reproducing exactly what others have done if there are ways to make it better at what its going to be doing. The hashcat forums are people who specifically want fast password cracking machines, which will in any respect do everything else just fine. To be a pentester, other than password cracking, you don't need a high end box. A screen, keyboard, and the OS or your preference are about all you need. High end machines are just a time trade off on results, not whether or not they perform the same way with tools you write or use. Specialized hardware is for specific purposes, so you choose what you need(and can afford) vs shiny bling that sits in the corner.

29 minutes ago, digininja said:

Just throwing this out there as another option, my GPU rig is in Amazon. Costs peanuts to run and doesn't depreciate.

Well shite, that takes all the fun out of breaking, I mean building your own machine..lol

Might I recommend Kali in the cloud then. All the tools already installed (for the most part) just need the server(s) that has the nvidia cards.

https://www.kali.org/news/cloud-cracking-with-cuda-gpu/

Still, I think Op wants to build that machine and age a few years during the build process...

It's always fun if you have the time and cash but I know how little password cracking I need to so really can't justify a noisy physical box.

Ophcrack still usually gets me enough despite being way from state of the art. Beyond that the GPU in my laptop does Hashcat well enough for the of other hash type.