Jump to content

Install Tools


Recommended Posts

i noticed that by running the payload as payload and not named payload.txt it runs the payload and installs the tools because my install.sh turned into install.sh.INSTALLED after i ran the initial payload as payload not payload.txt

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems that I've simplified it so much that we're over thinking it. The tools_installer payload is just that -- a payload. It's meant to be run just as any other payload -- by copying it to a switch

By default the installer doesn't work if you *copy* the content of /payloads/library/tools_installer to /payloads/switch1/ you have to *move* the content of /payloads/library/tools_installer to /

Just follow these steps: Be sure to have the Bunny in an original state: Set BashBunny to arming mode Connect it to your computer Download the newest repository from GitHub

Posted Images

19 hours ago, wemmick said:

I believe that I can confirm that the existence of multiple installer_tools locations is related to this error.

It wasn't the existence of multiple installer_tools but the subfolder tools_to_install which created the problem with the find command in the old install.sh

12 hours ago, subdood said:

I just got my Bash bunny today and started digging in. I was getting the dreaded red light with the latest install tools off the github page. Turns out you also need the latest bunny_helpers.sh in your library folder as well to pick up the SWITCH_POSITION variable. Once I got it moved over, the installer worked perfectly. It took much longer than it should have to sort that out. It was fun digging into the guts and starting to figure out how my BB works though!

Seems that you are the first who used my version of install.sh after the pull request was confirmed... Feels good to hear, that it worked fine for you...

General remark:

Be sure that you always use the complete baseline of the tools in GitHub. As @subdood there might be especially dependencies to actual version of bunny_helpers.sh as there will be more and more features from the community in the future...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GermanNoob said:

It wasn't the existence of multiple installer_tools but the subfolder tools_to_install which created the problem with the find command in the old install.sh

Seems that you are the first who used my version of install.sh after the pull request was confirmed... Feels good to hear, that it worked fine for you...

General remark:

Be sure that you always use the complete baseline of the tools in GitHub. As @subdood there might be especially dependencies to actual version of bunny_helpers.sh as there will be more and more features from the community in the future...

Was also able to get mine working after updating to the latest bunny_helpers.sh  - Glad this thread was here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peterkozmd said:

Heres an idea. Since so many people are having problems getting the helper  tools to install. Why not in the next update darren have them install by default sorta like plugins that can be easily downloaded and removed easily ala wifi pineapple

I find it quite easy to download all payloads from GitHub. And the installation of the dependencies is also easy by just using them similar to an payload. The issues that came up due to unknown configurations and / or user misconfiguration are getting solved quite fast as you can see in GitHub. Moreover every day there are more payloads coming in... From my point of view, setting up ICS to start whatever application to download some payloads is more complicated than just copy yours to a switch. Don't forget that most payloads have to be customized by yourself to fit your target. Language adaptions are the easiest point here...

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes i realize that its not all plug and play. That said there are steps that can be done to make things easier and less have the users tweak it and fix it themselves mentality. So acting superior because it works for you does not resolve anything. While I'm not expecting to just plug this in and it automatically works its not too much for a product released to have the bugs worked out for a product selling at the price it is. There's more than a handful of users having problems getting the BB to work and is not quite as drag and drop as darren implied in the video. It was literally an introduction video that was rushed through instead of a proper beginner tutorial video. Again I mean no offense to darren and what he is doing.

Edited by peterkozmd
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've cut/pasted the tools_installer to the payload switch1 folder and the unplugged, switched to switch1 and then plugged back in. Light looked like it installed correctly and I saw a file created called 'installed-tools.txt' in the root directory.

Anyways I thought it was installed but doing some more reading there should be a /pentest/ folder however I'm not seeing this. I've even connected over serial and am not seeing this folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm mainly just left wondering why this product was released prior to proper testing as it very much feels like a product that was released as-is with the users left trying to figure it out and fix it which at 100 bucks makes me wonder. Hope darren fixes these problems soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@peterkozmd

I didn't want to offend you or anybody else who has issues / problems. In fact I'm trying to help people in this forum as I hope to get help if I encounter a problem (which will surely happen).

I just wanted to state, that I won't prefer a WifiPineapple or LanTurtle like module manager for the BashBunny as most payloads need to be adapted according your target. That can be the language, delays, etc.

I find it much more convenient the way it is right now by having the ability to make the adaptions I need offline on my computer and just copy the payloads I need...

According the bugs you mentioned: I'm only aware of two by now, which isn't bad overall from my point of view! https://github.com/hak5/bashbunny-payloads/issues

Hacking is about learning and solving problems. Not just executing some prepared scripts of others. Hak5 does an adorable job I think! Go for it and learn from the issues you have and you will succeed! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nutt318 said:

So I've cut/pasted the tools_installer to the payload switch1 folder and the unplugged, switched to switch1 and then plugged back in. Light looked like it installed correctly and I saw a file created called 'installed-tools.txt' in the root directory.

Anyways I thought it was installed but doing some more reading there should be a /pentest/ folder however I'm not seeing this. I've even connected over serial and am not seeing this folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

the pentest folder is not in "/root/" it is in "/"

when you are ssh'd in the BashBunny, just type 

cd /

in that directory you should the the pentest folder.

If not: Was your install.sh within the switch folder renamed after installation to "...INSTALLED"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i realized that. Still just having the option between installing manually from the web repository and an auto-installer would be useful for those that might be having problems getting scripts to work.At least in that sense it would drop everything where its supposed to and verify the default configuration. I do realize that later tweaking and configuration will be in order and never completely automatic. The auto-installer will not completely solve settings issues.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GermanNoob said:

the pentest folder is not in "/root/" it is in "/"

when you are ssh'd in the BashBunny, just type 

cd /

in that directory you should the the pentest folder.

If not: Was your install.sh within the switch folder renamed after installation to "...INSTALLED"?

Gah, Thanks @GermanNoob ! There they are. Not sure how I missed that one. Thanks again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2017 at 8:44 AM, Black_chameleon said:

If you are editing on Windows and are seeing "entire script one line" I highly suggest using Notepad++

I hope this doesn't start an argument over text editors....

To your problem though: The most common mistake so far seems to be copying instead of moving the "tools_to_install" files.  If the script finds two such folders, it seems to get messed up.  Also, check to see if you have a folder /pentest on the BB already.  You may need to remove it before trying again.

As Darren has said repeatedly, this is one of the things that will change in a future (soon?) firmware release.

Moving the folder instead of copying had made no change. Adding the mount -o sync /dev/nandf /root/udisk to line 3 of the install.sh file made no change either. Doing them both together also made no difference. Really wondering here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@TeCHemically

Do you use the actual version from the GitHub repository?

In which state are you stuck?

Have you checked if the /pentest/ folder was created? If it exists, remove it completely before giving it a new try!

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GermanNoob said:

@TeCHemically

Do you use the actual version from the GitHub repository?

In which state are you stuck?

Have you checked if the /pentest/ folder was created? If it exists, remove it completely before giving it a new try!

Yes I used the github. I have no /pentest folder.

Just pulled down today's github and ran bunny helpers. Then ran tools install; still getting the same issues. I renamed the other "tools_to_install" folder so there would be no name conflict (so i can copy it over).

Edited by TeCHemically
more info
Link to post
Share on other sites

@TeCHemically

You don't have to run Bunny_helpers.sh on your own. It is sourced by the payloads that need it...

how did you ran the tools_install? You have to copy everything WITHIN the folder (including subfolder) to one of the switches and then run the attack safely ejecting the BashBunny, set the switch to the right position and plug it in again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, peterkozmd said:

Yeah i realized that. Still just having the option between installing manually from the web repository and an auto-installer would be useful for those that might be having problems getting scripts to work.At least in that sense it would drop everything where its supposed to and verify the default configuration. I do realize that later tweaking and configuration will be in order and never completely automatic. The auto-installer will not completely solve settings issues.

I have created a payload that should download the payloads and keep them up to date. It isn't a complete auto-installer, but it will get you all the payloads, and keep them up to date:
https://github.com/hak5/bashbunny-payloads/tree/master/payloads/library/GitBunnyGit

Edited by Draxiom
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I've beat my head against the wall for a while now but maybe someone out there can salvage my sanity: I was trying to install tools_installer and I thought I had all my ducks in order but after I loaded the required files plus the tools_to_install into the switch1 directory (while in arming mode (switch position 3)) I then unplugged the bunny, swtiched it to position 1 and reinserted it. It seemed to do something but now, when I insert it with the switch on position 3 (arming mode) I get a blue blinking light and I no longer write to the switch1 directory as it is write-protected. I also do not have a/pentest directory created (I actually created one myself but it does nothing and holds nothing. When I mount /dev/nanf and /root/udisk, I see some files installed and the install.sh has been renamed to install.sh.INSTALLED 

Call me impulsive and impatient but I do not know how to check if responder is actually installed and operating (I just wanted to get something running but now I think I might have butchered things up. Can anyone give me advice on how top test if the setup is correct, or how to start over,..   I am running kali on my laptop by the way.

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, michael_motorcycle said:

Ok, I've beat my head against the wall for a while now but maybe someone out there can salvage my sanity: I was trying to install tools_installer and I thought I had all my ducks in order but after I loaded the required files plus the tools_to_install into the switch1 directory (while in arming mode (switch position 3)) I then unplugged the bunny, swtiched it to position 1 and reinserted it. It seemed to do something but now, when I insert it with the switch on position 3 (arming mode) I get a blue blinking light and I no longer write to the switch1 directory as it is write-protected. I also do not have a/pentest directory created (I actually created one myself but it does nothing and holds nothing. When I mount /dev/nanf and /root/udisk, I see some files installed and the install.sh has been renamed to install.sh.INSTALLED 

Call me impulsive and impatient but I do not know how to check if responder is actually installed and operating (I just wanted to get something running but now I think I might have butchered things up. Can anyone give me advice on how top test if the setup is correct, or how to start over,..   I am running kali on my laptop by the way.

Thanks

 

Hey @michael_motorcycle,

I think you successfully installed the tools, but to check for sure, you should have a couple of directories in /pentest/

# ls /pentest/
impacket  responder
root@bunny:~# ls /pentest/responder/
DumpHash.py  Responder.conf  fingerprint.py  poisoners      utils.py
LICENSE      Responder.py    logs         servers
README.md    certs         odict.py         settings.py
Report.py    files         packets.py      tools
root@bunny:~# ls /pentest/impacket/
ChangeLog  MANIFEST.in    build      impacket
LICENSE    README.md    examples  setup.py


If your bunny can no longer write to the nandf mount, you could try following this method:

 

Edited by Draxiom
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-19 at 8:43 PM, Draxiom said:

Hey @michael_motorcycle,

I think you successfully installed the tools, but to check for sure, you should have a couple of directories in /pentest/


# ls /pentest/
impacket  responder
root@bunny:~# ls /pentest/responder/
DumpHash.py  Responder.conf  fingerprint.py  poisoners      utils.py
LICENSE      Responder.py    logs         servers
README.md    certs         odict.py         settings.py
Report.py    files         packets.py      tools
root@bunny:~# ls /pentest/impacket/
ChangeLog  MANIFEST.in    build      impacket
LICENSE    README.md    examples  setup.py


If your bunny can no longer write to the nandf mount, you could try following this method:

 

Thanks for the response. I looked in the /pentest directory but it is empty which isn't surprising since I created it myself after the fact. I read the steps to get the bunny back up from failure and I am hesitating doing that as it looks like I would reformatting the whole thing and I am not sure I want to do that yet. As it stands, with the switch set to 3 (arming mode), I see a blue light flashing and my folders in switch1 and switch2 are read only so I can't re-install anything. I am just a little frustrated,..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, michael_motorcycle said:

I read the steps to get the bunny back up from failure and I am hesitating doing that as it looks like I would reformatting the whole thing and I am not sure I want to do that yet. 

There are actually a few partitions that you don't want to touch at all. The instructions I lay out here are just to get the mountable partition back to the way it was. If you are worried about loosing things, copy the files off the bunny before you format that partition (/root/udisk/*), and copy them back afterwards. If your drive is read-only, you can't do much until you format it. Just make sure you get that dd command right, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2017 at 6:44 AM, Black_chameleon said:

If you are editing on Windows and are seeing "entire script one line" I highly suggest using Notepad++

I hope this doesn't start an argument over text editors....

To your problem though: The most common mistake so far seems to be copying instead of moving the "tools_to_install" files.  If the script finds two such folders, it seems to get messed up.  Also, check to see if you have a folder /pentest on the BB already.  You may need to remove it before trying again.

As Darren has said repeatedly, this is one of the things that will change in a future (soon?) firmware release.

I also use Notepad++ is an excellent editor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran the install tools payload but the files didnt copy to the /root/udisk folder, they just ended up in /pentest/ folder. After connecting with putty, ran the command cp /pentest/ /root/udisk/ and the files moved over. Using the QuickCreds payload it ran and gave me a green light, made the destination loot folder but didn't write any loot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...