Centrally managing the network .............

Noob

I have a win 2003 server and around 63 ws under me , everytime ,consider an exchange server prob( exceeded the limit of 16 gig db), i had to go to every compt to change the archive folder and had to tell them del unused things , it was really pain in my ass to explain everythign 2 ever1 ...... Is there anythign i can use , tht i can directly do it frm server. Last night i was moving the print server and again i went to all the machines and added the printer it took my freaking whole day to do it ........ HELP!

Suggest me any good network admin forums if u are aware of any ..... Thnks

You can use active directory and make a global logon script to add the printers, network drives, home folders, etc.

However, for the email situation, you can not set this in the GPO. This can be done on the exchange server. You can set a day limit that mail stays on the server, or size etc. You can really get into it and have it email the user when they are getting close to their quota limit.

If you are not in a domain environment, then I feel your pain. You should setup a DC pronto style and it will make your life as a Network Admin much easier. This way when a zero day exploit comes out (like the Windows Media Player one of today), you can implement a system wide lockdown on the player.

For either one of those to work, he will have to go to each machine to install a server for the client. Unless he wants to use the reverse feature in VNC, and even then he would have to depend on the end user to know how to run it (And, in a large network, assuming someone knows how to do something will kick your butt).

I used the GPO to install a VNC server once you login and that helps so you dont have to leave your desk to fix a small email problem. Even then, VNC can get cumbersome and really just slow you down.

P.S. - If you do install a VNC, make sure your firewall rules are in place so that someone not in the "DMZ" can not come in and remotely administer. Unless, you want that (And, if you are going to do that, just make a repeater).

A login script can manage printers as well... if your so inclined.. In general a login script can do many things, install programs, fix reg settings, etc...

But it's really hard to take you seriously with so many misspellings.

Is it possible roaming profiles isn't setup properly?

That the machines local GP is setting it to not keep the domain user profile?

Did you setup a default domain user profile?

www.msfn.org check out the board...

The thing is not just abt printers and outlook , its abt any application . CAn we control appls on ws by the server , i do have a domain , and GP just brings limitations , i m talking abt working on appls.

EG: I was moving my print server, so i had to go to every machine and had to map it on every ws....... Tht was AwFUl.

I'm glad you said something, because I was pondering.. if he types like that, I wouldn't want him as my network admin.

Anyways, glad to see that there are a couple people around here that have had experience with this. I have a similar issue (not the email thing, but the printer install for multiple machines), but I'm going to read up a bit online before I do anything rediculous.

Yeah I'd be very frightened if he was my systems admin or anywhere near my network with any type of access to it...

If you're looking for a good scripting source check out www.kixtart.org and if you need help with it just let me know...

I got ours running a great deal of things for login, setting printers, mapping drives, domain profiles, reg settings, installations, etc...

It just dawned on me though, english is either his second language or it's a retarded person. I really hope it's the first.

First of all, the Enterprise version of Exchange doesn't have an IS (Information Store) size limit. Perhaps you can upgrade?

To help you out with your issue on visiting every PC when you make network changes, consider the following:

UltraVNC - it gives you session encryption, which WinVNC doesn't offer and it lets you authenticate based on your AD credentials.

VNC is fine but that's only slightly better than physically visiting every machine.

Roaming User Profiles or Folder Redirection - This would give you the ability to add a script to everyone's startup folder to automatically map printers. This requires Active Directory.

Some sort of PsExec script to run a NET USE command on everyone's PC - look into the /persistent command parameter to make sure the printer mappings aren't deleted when the user logs off. Easy to script to run on every machine on the network using psexec parameters.

and last but not least ...

Startup / Logon scripts - your best friend when managing a network ... maps drives, printers, creates desktop icons, loads registry keys, runs other programs at startup. There is one BIG difference to keep in mind regarding the difference between a Startup script and a Logon script. Startup scripts are found in the Computer section and are ran with Administrator privileges when the computer is first booted. Logon scripts run with the user's privileges when the user logs in. You can't install programs or update HKLM registry hives in a Logon script unless your users are local administrators (BAD BAD BAD).

For example, a simple Logon script that maps a printer:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon...ipt_Printer.htm

Easy stuff. Do more Google searching to find how to make different printers the default printer based on the computer name.

I wrote this in kind of a hurry so there might be a mistake or two.

If you still need to visit each machine manually (for some ungodly reason), just modify the switchblade to do good instead of evil and deploy your patches. At least that way you only have to spend a few seconds at each machine and no key presses are necessary.

Like others have said, WMI and GPO are your friend.

Also keep in mind that you should be running regular full backups of your infostore, else your logs will clog the drive and the MTA service will fail to startup on reboot. Make sure to do full backups and ARCHIVE the E00####.log files to a NAS or something. DO NOT DELETE THE E00####.log files so save HDD space.

Also look into pruning the AD and remove unused mailboxes. Set autoarchive in each PC through GPO and set quotas. Enforce your policies. Get your CIO involved.

If all else fail tell them that rabits got into the administration system and the priv db's went awol. reformat the system with fat16 and look for a job as a dog groomer.

If all else fail tell them that rabits got into the administration system and the priv db's went awol. reformat the system with fat16 and look for a job as a dog groomer.

It has something to do with the BLT drive. Just make sure that those asian executive types don't go all Hari Kiri on you.

• 2 weeks later...

We use Desktop Authority from Scriptlogic. (http://www.scriptlogic.com/da) You need to check it out.

After a year of use I can make a conclusion that it's one of the easiest way to manage from small to very big network. This tool includes just the all necessary features for organizing network environment, for example: printer & drive mappings, folder redirection, power management, software and patch deployment, usb security and more... It applies all the settings with help of kix based logon script and I can agree with Burn: logon scripts - it's the best way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to play my resurrect a dead thread card rather than start a new one.

I am fighting to get more centralized management going on the network at work. The problem that I have here is that I have no experience using WMI and very very limited GPO and vb scripting experience, by limited I should say worthless. I have been told that there will be very little money spent on any type of management software so if it more than a couple hundred bucks I am screwed.

The point that I am trying to get to here is, what is a good resource to start using WMI? Let me reiterate that I have never used it before and would not know it if it walked up and kicked me in the coin purse. I need something to help me start from the ground up.

If it helps at all I am looking at about 30 to 40 workstations all running XP at 2 sites connected via VPN on Sonicwall TZ170's. I have 3 servers 2 2000 servers doing AD duty and 1 2003 file server. Any information here would be much appreciated!