Error connecting to WiFiPineapple.com. Please check your connection.

Frosty523

@Just_a_User - I too have wondered if it is a driver that needs installing, but if it is the Hak5 team should have this figured out and these drivers available for download. About to rip into the wp6 bash script file and see what is what. May end up writing my own script for Parrot, but the lenova works fine with the same Parrot Security OS. I will offer my results if I find anything good for everyone.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, VapinPagan said:

@Just_a_User - I too have wondered if it is a driver that needs installing, but if it is the Hak5 team should have this figured out and these drivers available for download

I think maybe you misunderstood me. I was referring to the fact that if its working on one machine and not another (and the machines have different hardware) while using the same OS its drivers that's the biggest difference. For example a USB3 HUB driver.  Either way it's not really up to Hak5 to provide drivers for hardware that isn't theirs.

@Just_a_User no, I understood what you meant, allow me to elaborate on what "I" meant. LOL

I mean perhaps I need to install specific drivers for the pineapple hardware that my other machine has, perhaps even installed by some other package. Although I have thought of the hardware issue of my laptops also. I do agree, of course if it has to do with my laptop hardware then it certainly is my issue and not theirs. However, if it is a driver issue for the pineapple then the responsibility lies with them.

Either way I'm cool because I have it working on my main hack box that goes everywhere with me. However, for those who have one computer and one computer only they intended to use it with and this crap happens...I truly feel for them. Plus, I should be able to use this, theoretically, with any of my LINUX systems here. So bottom line is I honestly am not trying to place any blame, I just want it figured out.

I will be doing a hardware comparison between the two laptops soon and will offer results here if I figure anything out.

Works great on my Nokia Android, works great with my Lenova...stalls on my Dell. I noticed the wp6.sh script has changed since I got this pineapple too. I preferred the older script of wp6.sh, i like the fact it showed if it connected at the end and offered the link. I may add that part back myself to my script. hahahaha

Anyway, thanks very much for the input and interest, I am very stubborn and am determined to figure this issue out for me and everyone else with this issue if I possibly can. 😃

Ok folks here is the big news! I can honestly say it is NOT a hardware conflict at all.

It IS, however, a software conflict.

I have been able to repeat the process, but still working on figuring out what exactly is conflicting with the WP.

I was working with my WP on the laptop that it has always worked fine on yesterday, paused, installed 3 new apps, allowed upgrades of a few already installed packages when asked, then went back to WP and POOF! No longer working and giving me the exact same message as the Dell laptop has been giving me all along.

So I feel it is safe to assume there is a driver, software, or process of some kind which is conflicting with the WP. ALSO, if this is the case, it is no LONGER the responsibility of the end-user to fix this issue, it is the responsibility of the maker of the WP to either include error code to catch the conflicts and warn the end-user or at the very least do some research to find and list on their website what DOES conflict with the WP!

My research continues...going to next install a VM on the Lenova (the laptop that had always worked until yesterday) fresh, with nothing added and test the WP with it. Trying some trial and error tests here and using process of elimination too. Will be back when I discover more.

(my whole point is I can buy equipment that does the same thing as all their goodies from China for 1/10th the price and still have no directions or support what-so-ever. The whole idea of purchasing from Hak5 was that I am supposed to get good quality and from a company that supports and backs up their equipment!!!) I would much prefer Hak5 step up here...

In fact: I will be making a data collection website for the WP in the next few days and I will leave the URL here after I do. I want to do this because I spent hard earned money on this thing to use as a tool, but I can't use a tool that is undependable when a contract with a client relies on what I provide. Just not cool at all..

I will need to ask a lot of questions and need the help of the community so we can all track down what is causing this issue for good. For example: Has ANYONE here ever had any issue like this when connecting to a phone? I haven't, no problems at all with mine, my wifes, or my daughters Android. This, to me, is only enforcing the fact it very well could be a software, driver,or running process conflict of some kind.

On 6/24/2019 at 4:12 PM, VapinPagan said:

In fact: I will be making a data collection website for the WP in the next few days and I will leave the URL here after I do. I want to do this because I spent hard earned money on this thing to use as a tool, but I can't use a tool that is undependable when a contract with a client relies on what I provide. Just not cool at all..

I will need to ask a lot of questions and need the help of the community so we can all track down what is causing this issue for good. For example: Has ANYONE here ever had any issue like this when connecting to a phone? I haven't, no problems at all with mine, my wifes, or my daughters Android. This, to me, is only enforcing the fact it very well could be a software, driver,or running process conflict of some kind.

I am unable to connect to my Android Razor 1 phone using the app. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have another solution for this problem for Windows users (Maybe in linux works), you just have to disable your network adapter (go to device manager>network adapters) and then, enable it. Then check if your WifiPineapple ip is configurated correctly and go to 172.42.16.1 and check if the problem is solved!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue. but in my case, I don't see a DNS resolution.

The networking is fine (pinging 8.8.8.8), the ping also from Pineapple to 104.18.51.22 (Wifipineapple.com IP) is fine, but the ping to Wifipineapple.com, nor google.com doesn't work.

root@Pineapple:~# ping google.com
ping: bad address 'google.com'

20 hours ago, Simos said:

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue. but in my case, I don't see a DNS resolution.

The networking is fine (pinging 8.8.8.8), the ping also from Pineapple to 104.18.51.22 (Wifipineapple.com IP) is fine, but the ping to Wifipineapple.com, nor google.com doesn't work.

root@Pineapple:~# ping google.com
ping: bad address 'google.com'

Looks kike DNS setting issue.  You probably don't have one defined in the settings or for some reason one is not being issues from your router.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 3:56 PM, Cap_Sig said:

Looks kike DNS setting issue.  You probably don't have one defined in the settings or for some reason one is not being issues from your router.

Yes it was that the problem. It's solved now. Thanks for the guidance.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had the same issue with my WiFi Pineapple TETRA. First of all I recommend checking via SSH if there is no internet connection at all or if there is just an issue loading bulletins/modules via the webinterface - because in my case there was only an issue with loading stuff via the webinterface:

1. Open a shell/command prompt (cmd.exe for Windows Users)
  2. Execute the command:
    ssh root@172.16.42.1

3. Enter your WiFi Pineapple root password
  4. Execute the command:
    ping google.com

5. If the command executes successfully, the internet connection is working. If there is an error message shown, your internet connection is not working at all. In this case I suggest to check your ethernet adapter settings and the internet connection sharing (see articles above).

In my setup the internet connection was working from my WiFi Pineapple, but still I received the error message "Error connecting to WiFiPineapple.com. Please check your connection" when I tried to load bulletins/modules. What I did as a next step was disabling my antivirus. After disabling the antivirus it worked to load bulletins/modules! But for sure this is not a solution, as there is a good reason you run a antivirus on your system 😉.

What worked out for me was just changing the firewall-profile (I use the firewall of my Avast antivirus, not the operating system firewall) for my WiFi Pineapple network from "Public Network" to "Private Network", therefore some firewall settings were changed and loading bulletins/modules worked perfectly.

So my recommendation for anyone facing this issue is to check their firewall settings - regardless of whether it is the antivirus or operating system firewall. In some antivirus software there is also an option included to allow/disallow the sharing of your internet connection. This could also be a starting point for troubleshooting.

ok so my problem with the setup video is that, i can turn on sharing from my host connection. but i cannot choose the wifi pineapple and it doesnt sync up. in the video right under the network sharing box, there is a checkbox saying "allow other network users to connect xyz..." and under that there is SUPPOSED to be the dropdown box to choose which adapter to share with. the dropdown box doesnt exist

• 2 months later...

I fixed my issue for "error connecting to WIFIpineapple.com"

I realized I forgot to set the nano into WIFI client mode.. 

Click on networking

Click on WIFI client mode

Choose a WIFI you have a password to and login.

Your nano is now connected to the internet and able to download Bulletins and update the Firmware.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I had the same problem but i found a pretty easy solution:

After some pings i discovered that i wasn't pinging the default gateway and for some reason the latest wp6 script isn't fully working. So my solution is this:

1. i followed the instructions up to the point of running the script.

2. After running the script i checked my eth1 to confirm my ip. It wasn't 172.16.42.42. It ended in .157. No problem! I switched to manual addressing and fixed a static 172.16.42.42 ip with /24 prefix (kali suggests /16 thinking it is a class B ip)

3. I then restarted my wifi pineapple and logged in.

4. On the networking tab i checked the route and had only

172.16.42.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 br-lan

5. i added  172.16.42.42  on br-lan (this is pine's interface) pointing pineapple to my laptop and thus making it a gateway.Now my route table looks like this:

default         172.16.42.42    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 br-lan

6. Hit update and you 're done! Now you pineapple has a static route throught HIS br-lan to the laptop's eth1 which is acting as a gateway for the 172.16.40.0 network.The rest is done by the bridge int which is already set by the script.

Btw i am running kali linux 2020.4 and have a wifi connection on wlan0. I hope it was helpful..

• 4 weeks later...

I've just spent 5 hours tryint to fix this issue. I looked at hak5 videos on how to setup in linux, read this forum and nothing works.

Fuck off to the developer who posted this reply. FUCK YOU!!!!

On 12/24/2016 at 10:55 AM, Foxtrot said:

Just establish an internet connection for your WiFi Pineapple NANO...

• 6 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 11:47 PM, 4lph4n3t said:

I have another solution for this problem for Windows users (Maybe in linux works), you just have to disable your network adapter (go to device manager>network adapters) and then, enable it. Then check if your WifiPineapple ip is configurated correctly and go to 172.42.16.1 and check if the problem is solved!

Tried this in Linux Mint and it didn't work. Also tried IP 172.16.42.42 along with 172.16.42.1 with same error. Even tried including subnet 255.255.255.0 with both addresses, no good. WTF?

On 12/18/2020 at 1:16 PM, nny said:

Hey guys. I had the same problem but i found a pretty easy solution:

After some pings i discovered that i wasn't pinging the default gateway and for some reason the latest wp6 script isn't fully working. So my solution is this:

1. i followed the instructions up to the point of running the script.

2. After running the script i checked my eth1 to confirm my ip. It wasn't 172.16.42.42. It ended in .157. No problem! I switched to manual addressing and fixed a static 172.16.42.42 ip with /24 prefix (kali suggests /16 thinking it is a class B ip)

3. I then restarted my wifi pineapple and logged in.

4. On the networking tab i checked the route and had only

5. i added  172.16.42.42  on br-lan (this is pine's interface) pointing pineapple to my laptop and thus making it a gateway.Now my route table looks like this:

default         172.16.42.42    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 br-lan

6. Hit update and you 're done! Now you pineapple has a static route throught HIS br-lan to the laptop's eth1 which is acting as a gateway for the 172.16.40.0 network.The rest is done by the bridge int which is already set by the script.

Btw i am running kali linux 2020.4 and have a wifi connection on wlan0. I hope it was helpful..

Tried this as well, no luck 😒

Archived