Jump to content

How wifi pineapple nano is helpful actually


nsmarshal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi folks,
I haven't bought this product yet, but i am really interested to buy it. But before actually buying it if some body can explain how it is helpful in wifi password cracking (specially WPA2)it would be great.

In kali 2.0 with Alfa Wifi adapter:
1. Put alfa wifi adapter in monitor
2. start airmon-ng
3. capture packet of target
4. de-auth some client and capture the handshake when client connect to the AP
5. BF the captured handshacke with either aircrack-ng or hashcat (definately hashcat becuase with aircrack-ng you are not reaching anywhere.) becuase aircrack-ng is hell slow.
 
BF is not useful at all these days, No-one is using those simple passwords at all and with minimum length of 8 characters for wifi even with hashcat (100,000 hashes per second) it need 22 days for a 8 character brute force.
 
So the question is from above simple five steps in kali, how  Nano is  useful. At which step nano comes in and helps cracking WPA2 password.
 
Thanks,

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really do like your straight forward question. I agree that it isnt that usefull for cracking wpa2, however it is 1 of the options it offers. Nano has other options as you know but hey, interesting how others think about this.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, dre2007 said:

I really do like your straight forward question. I agree that it isnt that usefull for cracking wpa2, however it is 1 of the options it offers. Nano has other options as you know but hey, interesting how others think about this.

Thank you  dre2007, I don't mind spending 100 bucks but yes, would love to know what exactly a device could do for me.

As you mentioned "I agree that it isnt that usefull for cracking wpa2, however it is 1 of the options it offers." .... Will it be same thing like proving use with handshake and then leave us on our own with our wordlists :) or it could do any further/more other then BF.

We can capture all traffic with wireshark, create twins with fluxion. See clients to any AP, De-auth clients, kill internet with aircrack suite and fluxion.  so sorry :) but what nano will do for us ?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm currently developing a PoC with the pineapple. I'm done the cmdline version of a "suite" that I have.. and I was explaining how I use it and what I use it for to someone just the other day I never met. His answer was "You're using it for it's true purpose". 

There are other platforms that you can use say besides the nano or tetra, but I specifically chose to port my POC over to this platform for a few reasons:

1) Small form factor ( beats carrying even a tiny laptop for with a bunch of wifi adapters). Being stealthy is key

2) I don't want to reinvent the wheel on everything. You can leverage the built in programs that it comes with, even with no other modules installed from the vanilla config, it has a lot of advantages. 

3) The support is good, these guys stand behind their product, and they want to see what you make out of it. 

4) FULL BASH IN THE NANO! :)

 

It really boils down to what you want to do with it

 

Edited by sotiria
Wanted to make an addition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, greasystrangler said:

It runs on Windows :) .

As you know , Kali can do all that the Pineapple can do . Your laptop may not have a decent wireless card , so it has this advantage (along with a more user friendly interface for those not 'au fait' with the command line) .

 

:grin: Thanks greasystrangler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, sotiria said:

I'm currently developing a PoC with the pineapple. I'm done the cmdline version of a "suite" that I have.. and I was explaining how I use it and what I use it for to someone just the other day I never met. His answer was "You're using it for it's true purpose". 

There are other platforms that you can use say besides the nano or tetra, but I specifically chose to port my POC over to this platform for a few reasons:

1) Small form factor ( beats carrying even a tiny laptop for with a bunch of wifi adapters). Being stealthy is key

2) I don't want to reinvent the wheel on everything. You can leverage the built in programs that it comes with, even with no other modules installed from the vanilla config, it has a lot of advantages. 

3) The support is good, these guys stand behind their product, and they want to see what you make out of it. 

4) FULL BASH IN THE NANO! :)

 

It really boils down to what you want to do with it

 

Awesome , Thank you. :grin: Will buy it today and give it a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wanted to note here that cracking with cluster computing methods would be the method here

On 10/27/2016 at 0:23 PM, nsmarshal said:

Hi folks,
I haven't bought this product yet, but i am really interested to buy it. But before actually buying it if some body can explain how it is helpful in wifi password cracking (specially WPA2)it would be great.

In kali 2.0 with Alfa Wifi adapter:
1. Put alfa wifi adapter in monitor
2. start airmon-ng
3. capture packet of target
4. de-auth some client and capture the handshake when client connect to the AP
5. BF the captured handshacke with either aircrack-ng or hashcat (definately hashcat becuase with aircrack-ng you are not reaching anywhere.) becuase aircrack-ng is hell slow.
 
BF is not useful at all these days, No-one is using those simple passwords at all and with minimum length of 8 characters for wifi even with hashcat (100,000 hashes per second) it need 22 days for a 8 character brute force.
 
So the question is from above simple five steps in kali, how  Nano is  useful. At which step nano comes in and helps cracking WPA2 password.
 
Thanks,

Serious cracking is not gonna be a nanos forte. Capture, monitor and injections are what the nano is good at. 

If you want to discuss a sister system to crack with the pineapple. Id look into cluster computing methods. In theory a rasp pi bramble could come in handy with options for portability. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2016 at 11:00 AM, nsmarshal said:

Awesome , Thank you. :grin: Will buy it today and give it a try.

If you need something small, you can run kali in a raspberry pi, is small and way more cheaper.
I like the pineapple concept, but if you see the hak5 videos, they promote it like a impressive tool, but in real life, is not reliable for the price you pay, most of the time doesn't work. 


About the support, take a look at the forum, see how many questions were answered,  how much does it take to get an answer  and you'll get an idea


I think the pineapple has potential and someday would be a great tool, but right now, is just an expensive paperweight.


So my advise is use a raspberry pi or those small old mini netbooks like this.  

 


16_VGN-P70H.1391682298.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...