Shutting down the Nano without logging in

RChadwick

As it's obviously not a good idea to just remove power from the Nano, I'm curious if there was made an accommodation at a hardware level to shut down the Nano? Perhaps hitting the reset button? Maybe some unmarked solder pads that could be used to initiate a shutdown? Could the reset button be programmed so a quick push will initiate a shutdown?

Does the Nano have the console serial port header exposed?

I had a similar problem with my MkV,and eventually came around to the idea of using a small microcontroller (one of the small Arduino boards using a 32U4) connected to the MkV serial port,to login,shutdown everything,and halt/reboot. I have a pair of buttons on the Arduino,one for shutting it down,and one for rebooting it.
It's pretty simple,the Arduino just spits out the creds/commands from the serial TX line,right into the MkV's serial RX line. It works well,even if it is kind of kludgey.
(I even power the Arduino board from the 3.3V pin in the serial port header,which is a no-no,but it draws so little current,it hasn't been a problem.)

The first hardware-thing that comes to my mind is to look for GPIO pins, they should be "farely easy" to program.

A less intrusive solution: develop a poweroff/reboot module, accessible from the web-interface.
Or, the thing i'm doing: just run: poweroff from the terminal.

As has been explained before, the NANO has no "shutdown" because it has no ACPI. You can reboot, and you can halt the CPU, but it's perfectly okay to pull the plug on it when you want to stop using it. I've been doing since the NANO came out and there has never been a problem.

2 hours ago, Zylla said:

The first hardware-thing that comes to my mind is to look for GPIO pins, they should be "farely easy" to program.

A less intrusive solution: develop a poweroff/reboot module, accessible from the web-interface.
Or, the thing i'm doing: just run: poweroff from the terminal.

The UI already has a "Power off" and a Reboot menu. Advanced -> General

Edited by Foxtrot
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Foxtrot said:

As has been explained before, the NANO has no "shutdown" because it has no ACPI. You can reboot, and you can halt the kernel, but it's perfectly okay to pull the plug on it when you want to stop using it. I've been doing since the NANO came out and there has never been a problem.

The UI already has a "Power off" and a Reboot menu. Advanced -> General

Ohh, thanks. I wasn't aware.
I just got my new Pineapples a week ago, and haven't looked that deep into the ui yet. :lol: