Help with old stuff -- Hak5 labeled MKIV

Steevo

I tried on another PC to get the thing to talk on ethernet. 

No luck. No valid data on the serial at 115,200. I looked with wireshark, and I don't see anything from the Mark IV.

Any suggestions?  I held down the reset button. Can anyone tell me the reset procedure with the button on the bottom?

2 hours ago, Steevo said:

I tried on another PC to get the thing to talk on ethernet. 

No luck. No valid data on the serial at 115,200. I looked with wireshark, and I don't see anything from the Mark IV.

Any suggestions?  I held down the reset button. Can anyone tell me the reset procedure with the button on the bottom?

I'm pretty sure your unit is dead, sorry. 

OK, well, I have yet to receive any usable console output from the Mark IV, just like control chars and gibberish.

But clearly, that is output. Again, I have set to 115,200, 8-n-none.

I have been told that is correct, but at the moment I am at the point of re verifying that by trying different port speeds.
Unless someone can verify that port speed.
Sebkinne says it's dead, but clearly there are degrees to that because it clearly comes on wifi as pineapple.  So dead, that's relative.

There should be a failsafe reflash method for these, that is used at the factory.  Does anyone know about that?

2 hours ago, Steevo said:

OK, well, I have yet to receive any usable console output from the Mark IV, just like control chars and gibberish.

But clearly, that is output. Again, I have set to 115,200, 8-n-none.

I have been told that is correct, but at the moment I am at the point of re verifying that by trying different port speeds.
Unless someone can verify that port speed.
Sebkinne says it's dead, but clearly there are degrees to that because it clearly comes on wifi as pineapple.  So dead, that's relative.

There should be a failsafe reflash method for these, that is used at the factory.  Does anyone know about that?

115200 8N1 and no flow control.

There is no factory flashing possible with this bootloader (this was before we did custom hardware) - apart from over serial. Once you get that working, you can follow the steps outlined in Mr-Protocols video. Make sure to download the factory files from here instead, and downloading the WiFi Pineapple MKIV firmware from here.

Other than that, sorry for stating your unit was bricked - I hadn't read the entire thread. If you do fix your UART connection (Defective hardware? Broken serial on the MKIV?), you may simply be able to perform a factory reset on the device itself.

9 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

There is no factory flashing possible with this bootloader (this was before we did custom hardware) - apart from over serial. Once you get that working, you can follow the steps outlined in Mr-Protocols video. Make sure to download the factory files from here instead, and downloading the WiFi Pineapple MKIV firmware from here.

Other than that, sorry for stating your unit was bricked - I hadn't read the entire thread. If you do fix your UART connection (Defective hardware? Broken serial on the MKIV?), you may simply be able to perform a factory reset on the device itself.

Thanks. I haven't gotten anything out of the serial, as I said.

I do notice the pushbutton switch on the top of the board. What's that for? The reset is on the bottom. 
I pushed it, the blue light by it was blinking, it stopped when I held the top button down.

Hmm. Power cycle, it blinks again. It's the only one blinking. Pushed top button for 13 sec, it stopped blinking.

No difference on the console output, still gibberish. I looped it back, and it echos, so that's definitely working. Hmm.

Edited by Steevo

39 minutes ago, Steevo said:

Thanks. I haven't gotten anything out of the serial, as I said.

I do notice the pushbutton switch on the top of the board. What's that for? The reset is on the bottom. 
I pushed it, the blue light by it was blinking, it stopped when I held the top button down.

Hmm. Power cycle, it blinks again. It's the only one blinking. Pushed top button for 13 sec, it stopped blinking.

No difference on the console output, still gibberish. I looped it back, and it echos, so that's definitely working. Hmm.

As I said, most likely somehow defective hardware. If the serial port is dead, and you have no access to the device, I don't see recovery being possible. I  that case, you have a device in a soft bricked state. 

On 07/10/2016 at 8:32 AM, Sebkinne said:

As I said, most likely somehow defective hardware. If the serial port is dead, and you have no access to the device, I don't see recovery being possible. I  that case, you have a device in a soft bricked state. 

Still happy to take a look

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2016 at 2:43 PM, Sebkinne said:

I sent you a PM.