Hacker EDC? defcon EDC? every day carry?

jaime_lion

On 9/3/2016 at 9:56 AM, barry99705 said:

About 10 pounds is the limit for single strap bags.  My 5.11 Moab 10 starts to hurt my shoulder/collarbone after day two of Derbycon.  Though I usually carry a little more in it during cons, since I don't stay at the same hotel.  Daily carry it's lighter and I don't keep it on for 12 to 20 hours straight like the cons either.

I got the 5.11 Rush 12 and it is very comfortable bag and a bit bigger.  Not as many little compartments in the main compartment but still very useful.  I own the Moab 10 also.  I use both, just depends on what i'm doing.  Both bags are pricey but well worth the money. 

• 2 months later...

I'm currently rebuilding my EDC kit and I'm open to suggestions.

Content so far:

Thumb drives

1. SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB: Portable Apps + Sysinternals Suite + Other tools
  2. 3x SanDisk Cruzer Slide 32GB (empty)

Gadgets

1. USB Rubber Ducky (standard firmware)
  2. LAN Tap Pro
  3. USB MicroSD card reader
  4. Plectrum
  5. 3.5mm audio jack

Adapters

1. USB to MicroUSB
  2. Data Blocker: USB, MicroUSB, Lightning
  3. Watson MicroSD HC

Cables

1. kos-OTG
  2. Cat5 Loopback

52 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

What phone are you using? OTG cable and USB to Micro suggest a phone, probably with an external MicroSD slot?

Why do you randomly carry around a guitar pick? 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (yeah I know, not the latest model ;) )

About the pick: It comes quite in handy to open casings, especially when you don't have long fingernails.

1 hour ago, Broti said:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (yeah I know, not the latest model ;) )

About the pick: It comes quite in handy to open casings, especially when you don't have long fingernails.

Get a pocket knife (commonly known as a swiss army knife in the US/EU), then you can open much more than that. :P

Yeah, I'm surprised you have a Samsung - they're usually more locked down than other phones like LG, Huawei, HTC etc.

I just carry a ThinkPad x230 running CoreBoot/Debian, a OnePlus 3T running LineageOS, charging/data cable, Leatherman Wave, modded TYT MD380, a pair of cheapo mini USB wifi dongles (these are rarely used but useful for when I want multiple interfaces).

I don't need anything else really, any laptop can do what I need.   I've got a set of Sparrows picks on me and a few padlocks (which get swapped out), but that's only to keep my hands busy. 

Edited by metatron
typo

• Timbuk2 Messenger Bag
  • Dell XPS 13 w/ Ethernet + HDMI adapter
  • 5 foot patch cable
  • iPad Air 2 (Cellular, doubles as a hotspot)
  • Kenwood TH-F6A
  • Leatherman Skeletool CX
  • Generic disposable earbuds
  • Business cards
  • LED flashlight

I've never weighed it all, but it should be a little under 7 or 8 lbs

Edited by bearda

• 5 months later...
  • Wenger Gigabyte backpack
  • Lenovo Thinkpad T430 (SSD, 8GB RAM, internal WiFi card can handle monitor and injection on it's own), Parrot OS and various VMs
  • diskAshur iStorage HDD - 250GB
  • Alfa AWUS036H plus various antennas
  • A RPi with some accessories
  • Spare mobile - Android Galaxy S2, rooted and with a Linux OS installed
  • Various cables / USB sticks / misc.
Edited by haze1434

• 2 weeks later...

-nethunter on nexus 6

- couple node mcu deauthers

-64gb thumbdrive 

-acer laptop 'forgot to lazy to look' 4gb ram 500gb hdd(dualboot win+ kali)

-motorola g5 on a pay as you go plan( deep in my pockets) 

-car keys

-laptop backpack

• (Mac) HackBook Pro with dual boot
  • 128gb Kingston USB thumbdrive
  • Iphone 7
  • Briefcase holding my laptop
  • Car keys
  • LED Flashlight (Olight M2R, love that light, have a Olight S1R as well)
  • A Zoom H1 voice recorder (small)
  • Notepad and a small pencil (for my pen...*wait for it*.. testing ?)
Edited by Nyrf

12 hours ago, Bigbiz said:

Mk-23 though

Ohhhh, I almost got one of those when I still lived in AK.  They had one at the BX with a threaded barrel.  I still kick myself for not getting it, especially when I could have gotten it for under a grand.

Okay, back on topic!!  Picked up one of these little guys the other day.  Still in the goofing off with it phase, but plan on putting it in my bag.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/33187-build-a-wi-fi-performance-analyzer-for-75-part-1

Really need to figure out how to properly cross compile for it.  With only 512mb of ram, it fails to compile the new version of kismet, which it already has, but it's a little bit older version.  I tried to use my raspberry pi 3, but I guess they're different enough to make the binaries not compatible.

11 hours ago, barry99705 said:

Okay, back on topic!!  Picked up one of these little guys the other day.  Still in the goofing off with it phase, but plan on putting it in my bag.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/33187-build-a-wi-fi-performance-analyzer-for-75-part-1

Really need to figure out how to properly cross compile for it.  With only 512mb of ram, it fails to compile the new version of kismet, which it already has, but it's a little bit older version.  I tried to use my raspberry pi 3, but I guess they're different enough to make the binaries not compatible.

Chipset's an RTL8812au, same as the AWUS036ACH. Incompatible with Kali? ?

2 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Chipset's an RTL8812au, same as the AWUS036ACH. Incompatible with Kali? ?

No, I mean compiling for the nanopi.  My wifi adapter works, but I want to use my sdr, and the version of kismet doesn't support it.

3 hours ago, barry99705 said:

No, I mean compiling for the nanopi.  My wifi adapter works, but I want to use my sdr, and the version of kismet doesn't support it.

No, no, I was just making a general comment about the device. Since it's an 8812au you might have some issues with drivers and monitor mode..

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a pi0w and converting it to a USB stick with some external buttons/switch and maybe even LCD display on it. Could be used for just about anything - portable VPN, HID injector, key logger, portable router, WiFi AP that gets it's power over USB, packet injector, key/network sniffer etc. etc.

Switch 1/Button 1 causes it to boot into OpenWRT (or other router/AP software) so you can do a portable router/AP

Switch 2/Button 2 causes it to boot into a HID injection machine with remote access (SSH into it or whatever from your phone and inject away)

Switch 3/Button 3 causes it to be a dummy USB storage device

Switch 4/Button 4 causes it to be a PC with network and stuff (just as a second machine separated from your host)

Switch 5/Button 5 causes it to act as a quick plug-and-play VPN

And whatever else..

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

3 hours ago, barry99705 said:

I don't have anything with a 8812au chipset...

I was referring to the adapter he had with the NanoPi. I originally thought it was on the NanoPi board, but he says it's an external one.

Each of us in the deep dive session received an assembled NanoPi NEO2 and Comfast CF-912AC USB AC1200 adapter. This adapter uses a Realtek RTL8812AU chipset, so any of these other adapters should also work.

My EDC is pretty simple, because I just started my internship and am strapped for cash:

• Thinkpad T420 - Kali Linux
  • Moto G5 Plus w/ SD Card ejector pin
  • Malduino Elite w/ prank and exploit scripts (on necklace for cool factor)
  • 64 GB flash drive with Kali Live (hopefully going to upgrade it to multiboot soon)
  • Teensy 3.2 + GPS Tracker Shield w/ 2500 mAh LiPo (https://www.tindie.com/products/Fusion/tinytracker-gpsgsmcan-for-teensy-3132/)
  • 2 GB SD Card
  • ESP8266 Deauther Board (Micro USB Powered)
  • 4000 mAh portable power pack

I'm hoping to add:

• Bash Bunny
  • Wifi Pineapple Tetra
  • 13000 mAh Anker
  • Lockpicks
  • Pocket EMP with timer and supercapacitor (legal to own but definitely not to use, in case of emergency)

On 5/12/2018 at 12:21 PM, barry99705 said:

Yea, next thing you know, you'll have a car full of crap to lug around everyday!

Yeah, I know my bag is getting a bit too full. It's a this-would-be-really-useful-but-the-scenario-that-it's-useful-in-only-happens-twice-in-a-lifetime scenario, but I don't want to remove them from my bag ? 

• Like 1