Jump to content

Before I buy: Tetra vs Nano


Recommended Posts

Good morning guys! I am looking into buying a tetra or NANO. I wanted to keep portability so I was leaning towards the NANO but the power and 5ghz band of the tetra has me a bit indecisive. How portable is the tetra? I was planning on just keeping it in my backpack for use, but I am not sure if it still comes with the battery option. Do the pros of a Tetra outweigh that of a NANO enough to fork over the extra $85.00? Thanks for any feedback, I am new to the scene and trying to learn as much as possible. Hak5 has helped greatly in that! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont do it. dont waste your money. read the forums.... issue after issue with literally all modules. my tetra sits on a shelf because It wont do what they said it would do. I figured I would go with one of the simple modules like WPS.. yea right no such luck. ive not found anyone on the forums who has posted that it works for them. what does that tell you? I regret wasting 230$. my trusty ol laptop with wifislax n tools works EVERYTIME. what a waste. of course i could sell mine, but how could I screw someone like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hextor said:

Dont do it. dont waste your money. read the forums.... issue after issue with literally all modules. my tetra sits on a shelf because It wont do what they said it would do. I figured I would go with one of the simple modules like WPS.. yea right no such luck. ive not found anyone on the forums who has posted that it works for them. what does that tell you? I regret wasting 230$. my trusty ol laptop with wifislax n tools works EVERYTIME. what a waste. of course i could sell mine, but how could I screw someone like that?

Got it, yea I've been doing a bit of reading since posting but you just solidified my concerns. They said there would be updates but I don't plan to wait around and find out if it's actually soon or much later. Thanks for the advice Hector! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hextor said:

Dont do it. dont waste your money. read the forums.... issue after issue with literally all modules. my tetra sits on a shelf because It wont do what they said it would do. I figured I would go with one of the simple modules like WPS.. yea right no such luck. ive not found anyone on the forums who has posted that it works for them. what does that tell you? I regret wasting 230$. my trusty ol laptop with wifislax n tools works EVERYTIME. what a waste. of course i could sell mine, but how could I screw someone like that?

If i see one more copy/paste post like this I will take action. Just because you are having issues and making false claims doesn't mean it's the truth.

 

Read: 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr-Protocol said:

If i see one more copy/paste post like this I will take action. Just because you are having issues and making false claims doesn't mean it's the truth.

Mr-protocol, could you address my question then? I want to make sure if I do choose the tetra that I will feel satisfied with my purchase. I notice the tetra forum is very inactive vs the nano. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say give this a read: https://www.wifipineapple.com/

It has the quick look at differences plus if you hit "Read More" you will be presented with more information to the model selected.

Forum activity is all user based. If you don't need 5 GHz then stick with the NANO.

With what it comes with you will have to check http://hakshop.com for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mr-Protocol said:

I would say give this a read: https://www.wifipineapple.com/

It has the quick look at differences plus if you hit "Read More" you will be presented with more information to the model selected.

Forum activity is all user based. If you don't need 5 GHz then stick with the NANO.

With what it comes with you will have to check http://hakshop.com for that.

Thanks Mr-Protocol. I also looked into the link you suggested for another thread. I'll give his videos a watch over as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I chose the bigger memory and more power of the tetra it runs fine off of two auxly batteries 

this is my first foray into the world of pen testing and like a previous poster said there's not a whole lot support for basic questions but I've found out that that is kinda par for the course for this scene(for lack of a better word)

 

My tetra is running great after about a week of messing with it and before I got a bug up my butt to mess with this my biggest computer accomplishment was getting a printer online 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pho20 said:

I chose the bigger memory and more power of the tetra it runs fine off of two auxly batteries 

this is my first foray into the world of pen testing and like a previous poster said there's not a whole lot support for basic questions but I've found out that that is kinda par for the course for this scene(for lack of a better word)

 

My tetra is running great after about a week of messing with it and before I got a bug up my butt to mess with this my biggest computer accomplishment was getting a printer online 

 

 

Hey let's not downplay getting a printer online. Those things have a mind of their own. Mine requires a blood sacrifice at least once a month. 

 

I ended up getting a NANO Tactical Elite solely for portability. Once I feel comfortable and confident with the nano I'll buy a tetra as a stationary device or a semi-portable one at least. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both the Tetra and the Nano. I teach the Nano and also use it in my 9 to 5 on a daily basis. The Nano is highly reliable, easily hidden, and good with power. I stick with it because of it's small size and because normally I am walking around with a full kit of gear with very little room for anything else.

The Tetra is also a good option. I use the Tetra when I really need to reach out and gather as many SSIDs as I can in a given area. The Tetra is larger with it's larger and antennas. Also, to run it in portably, you need a substantial battery or set of batteries. This makes for an even larger footprint. 

I use the SSIDs gathered from the Tetra to feed the Nano, so each have a specific purpose for me. With the new firmware update that just dropped, I'm looking forward to seeing the 5GHz support.

Hope this helps you choose.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinny said:

I have both the Tetra and the Nano. I teach the Nano and also use it in my 9 to 5 on a daily basis. The Nano is highly reliable, easily hidden, and good with power. I stick with it because of it's small size and because normally I am walking around with a full kit of gear with very little room for anything else.

The Tetra is also a good option. I use the Tetra when I really need to reach out and gather as many SSIDs as I can in a given area. The Tetra is larger with it's larger and antennas. Also, to run it in portably, you need a substantial battery or set of batteries. This makes for an even larger footprint. 

I use the SSIDs gathered from the Tetra to feed the Nano, so each have a specific purpose for me. With the new firmware update that just dropped, I'm looking forward to seeing the 5GHz support.

Hope this helps you choose.

Where do you teach, if you don't mind me asking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my own small business (shameless plug www.skinnyrd.com). A lot of my classes are tailored for specific clients. In one of the latest there was a day of ubertooth and WiFi Pineapple. It was more of an introductory level module but each student got to keep both pieces of equipment. I love being able to give students relevant, useful hardware.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with hextor. Wait week or two before you order anything. The new firmware is out and hopefully everything works better now. I bought the Tetra version on March and Basically it was useless and it has been now waiting for this firmware update since then. So, I would wait week or two and see what kind of feedback the new firmware will get.

I chose the Tetra just because it had support for 5Ghz, which it didn't have eventually. Buy the Nano if you don't need 5Ghz and if you need 5Ghz then wait some time for positive feedback of the new firmware.

 

I might test the new firmware this weekend.

Greetings from Finland

p.s. If you are from europe, i am not sure if they deliver correct power supply nowadays. I got US model.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sami said:

I agree with hextor. Wait week or two before you order anything. The new firmware is out and hopefully everything works better now. I bought the Tetra version on March and Basically it was useless and it has been now waiting for this firmware update since then. So, I would wait week or two and see what kind of feedback the new firmware will get.

I chose the Tetra just because it had support for 5Ghz, which it didn't have eventually. Buy the Nano if you don't need 5Ghz and if you need 5Ghz then wait some time for positive feedback of the new firmware.

 

I might test the new firmware this weekend.

Greetings from Finland

p.s. If you are from europe, i am not sure if they deliver correct power supply nowadays. I got US model.

Thanks for the advice Sami! I went with the nano mostly just for portability. I think I will eventually grab a Tetra, but for now the nano will work with my intro to this field. I will keep an eye on the forums before I buy though, just to make sure the reviews on the new firmware are positive. Thanks again from the US! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
On 8/20/2016 at 6:39 PM, hextor said:

Dont do it. dont waste your money. read the forums.... issue after issue with literally all modules. my tetra sits on a shelf because It wont do what they said it would do. I figured I would go with one of the simple modules like WPS.. yea right no such luck. ive not found anyone on the forums who has posted that it works for them. what does that tell you? I regret wasting 230$. my trusty ol laptop with wifislax n tools works EVERYTIME. what a waste. of course i could sell mine, but how could I screw someone like that?

Can you sell me the tetra hextra ?? Like for 100$ or something like that?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...