got to create a cable to connect Yagi to PineV via extension cable how long

odeon

Hi all

I have bought a Yagi antenna from Hak5, a plneapple V and a alfa awuso36nha.

I also went to Fry's ( chicago) only place I know for RP connectors and this is all they had. I  bought :

1 a SMA female to SMA female barrel connector

2 a Reverse Polarity SMA Crimp Male (Plug) Connector With Female Pin product code RPA 2452p

3 Reverse Polarity SMA Plug R/A (female pin)  product code RPA-2453P ready to be crimped.

4 extention cable 50ohm  ( 7 feet) with rp-sma female and RP-sma male.

5 6 feet of rg58 53.5 ohm cable no connectors

I was hoping that it would all fit together BUT here are the RP endings for the equipment.

Pineapple V SMA female

Yagi SMA male

Alpha  RP-sma female

SO the Pineapple V connects to the YAGI perfectly ( as expected) BUT I only got about 3 feet of cable.  SO I went out and bought ( without thinking) the extension cable (4)  which doesn't help me. I can use connector 1 to hook the Yagi to the rp-sma MALE end of the extension cable but that does NOT fit the Pine V ( sma female)  or the Alpha (RP sma FEMALE).  NOW I could crimp 2 and 3 to 4 and extend the YAGI from the PineV but that would get me 13 feet of 50ohm cable and 3 adapter connections. I have no idea what that would do to the signal strength. Could someone please help me out and tell me if the extention cable is too long if I connect them together.

ALSO is putting the YAGI onto the Alfa REALLY going to buy me anything? I live in Chicago and right now the Alpha is not doing well. I was hoping to improve it using the Yagi in a directional manner.

ANY help would be appreciated.

1.  You got the wrong cable.  RG58 isn't rated for microwave, it tops out at 1ghz, and even then it's losing around 21db for every 100 feet of cable, which is horrible.

2. You're going to lose some signal with every connection, depends on the quality of the connection, and how well they're crimped.  Microwave grade cable crimps aren't cheap!  You're looking at about $100 for the crimpers, then if you're lucky you won't need to buy the dies for whatever cable you're crimping.

3. Keep your extensions as short as possible.  The longer the coax, the more signal you'll lose, even when it's rated for whatever frequency you're using.  Best bet is use longer usb cables.

5 hours ago, barry99705 said:

1.  You got the wrong cable.  RG58 isn't rated for microwave, it tops out at 1ghz, and even then it's losing around 21db for every 100 feet of cable, which is horrible.

2. You're going to lose some signal with every connection, depends on the quality of the connection, and how well they're crimped.  Microwave grade cable crimps aren't cheap!  You're looking at about $100 for the crimpers, then if you're lucky you won't need to buy the dies for whatever cable you're crimping.

3. Keep your extensions as short as possible.  The longer the coax, the more signal you'll lose, even when it's rated for whatever frequency you're using.  Best bet is use longer usb cables.

Hey Barry

thanks so much for such excellent guidance, really appreciated. You know just ONCE I would like to do something properly.  What you said all makes sense now and I have NO excuse save been a real moron.  SO my plan now is to use the 3 foot cable that came with the YAGI ( marked 3c - 2 v 50 ohm) and plug it into the Pineapple V directly ( dip switch side port) THEN run an RJ45 hard wire ( about 25 feet)  to my Dell. 

As for the awuso36nha I'll figure that out some other day BUT certainly take your guidance to use longer USB cables.

Hope this all seems right to you?

thanks again you are a star.

Odeon ( more stupid that normal) from Chicago

4 hours ago, odeon said:

Hey Barry

thanks so much for such excellent guidance, really appreciated. You know just ONCE I would like to do something properly.  What you said all makes sense now and I have NO excuse save been a real moron.  SO my plan now is to use the 3 foot cable that came with the YAGI ( marked 3c - 2 v 50 ohm) and plug it into the Pineapple V directly ( dip switch side port) THEN run an RJ45 hard wire ( about 25 feet)  to my Dell. 

As for the awuso36nha I'll figure that out some other day BUT certainly take your guidance to use longer USB cables.

Hope this all seems right to you?

thanks again you are a star.

Odeon ( more stupid that normal) from Chicago

Yea, that sounds like a better arrangement.  As for your PM, I've not used Tenda products, so no clue how well or not it will work.

20 minutes ago, barry99705 said:

Yea, that sounds like a better arrangement.  As for your PM, I've not used Tenda products, so no clue how well or not it will work.

thanks for the follow up and I didn't send a pm not sure who did but not guilty. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...