I suspect this is not possible - accessing far away routers?

bongo_bongo

What is the best method to access wireless networks that are several hundred meters away? My impression is that it's no good accessing the router from far away if that router does not have the technical ability to reply to you (since it's just a normal home router)? Is that correct?

I ask because the "Tom's Hardware Forum" posters suggest that not only should you be able to connect to the router but that it should have the technical capability to respond to you (when you are hundreds of meters away).

I have read about Yagi antennas but do they work when you are trying to connect to a conventional 802.11 home router?

If, for example, there was an unencrypted network 500 meters away would it be possible to play with the network e.g. via SSLStrip assuming that one could connect to the network?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, bongo_bongo said:

What is the best method to access wireless networks that are several hundred meters away? My impression is that it's no good accessing the router from far away if that router does not have the technical ability to reply to you (since it's just a normal home router)? Is that correct?

I ask because the "Tom's Hardware Forum" posters suggest that not only should you be able to connect to the router but that it should have the technical capability to respond to you (when you are hundreds of meters away).

I have read about Yagi antennas but do they work when you are trying to connect to a conventional 802.11 home router?

If, for example, there was an unencrypted network 500 meters away would it be possible to play with the network e.g. via SSLStrip assuming that one could connect to the network?

Thanks!

Starting to get into grey area here....

Very grey!

Connect to free WiFi? Sure!

Pentest it? Nope.

Hint: If 2 people are trying to talk to each other from across a busy room, in order to communicate effectively they would need to either;

a.) Both shout very loudly (both have a powerful antenna, not necessarily large, maximum TX power output), or

b.) Both block out all other noise in the room (specific channel, point-to-point antenna connection), or

c.) One of them would need to shout loudly and grow themselves a giant ear (large, powerful antenna plus a 'dish' to capture the 'whisper' from across the room. These don't have to be the same antenna.)

Basically, yes, it is possible to send and capture traffic from an access point that has a weak signal, but it requires bigger and better equipment on your end.

Think SETI listening to the Universe from millions of light years away. They use a field full of flippin' massive dish antennas.

*Edit*

Send.

Receive.

Edited by haze1434