[HARDWARE] - Bricked my Pinepple. Need some help!

Zylla

I accidentally managed to put a 12 volt input on the USB port, and it bricked my Pineapple.
However, i still think there is hope to fixing the device. I got years of experience with soldering, and tinkering with these embedded devices.
I'm also capable of soldering SMD parts if needed.

I dissected the Pineapple, and got my voltmeter out. Whenever i power it on, nothing happens. Except the area of the Pineapple that handles the "power" to the device (i guess), gets really hot. So hot that i need to unplug the device.
Also i'm unable to read any voltage above 1 volt anywhere on the board. It's usually at 0,3v-0,5v.

I cannot find any parts that looks damaged, except one transistor on the bottom-side of the board.
I'm hoping that replacing this transistor could fix the problem.
But, i have no idea exactly what kind of transistor it is, because i'm unable to read the text on top of it.

So i was hoping that someone else from the Hak5 community could read what it says on the transistor from their own Pineapple.

Here are pictures of the parts i'm talking about:
Broken Transistor - 1
Broken SMD Transistor - 2
The "Power Section"

TL;DR: Can someone please look at a part on the bottom of their Pinapple board, and read what it says to me?

Hello,

sorry can not read it on mine either, but on a related problem, my MK5 V1.4 is also affected by some power supply issue. I managed to dislocate and lose R125 which I could replace if I only knew the value required.

Is there documentation available?

Greetings and thanks,

yak

4 hours ago, Zylla said:

TL;DR: Can someone please look at a part on the bottom of their Pinapple board, and read what it says to me?

On the 1.4 board the transistor has "HR 52" printed on it.

1 hour ago, Yak said:

sorry can not read it on mine either, but on a related problem, my MK5 V1.4 is also affected by some power supply issue. I managed to dislocate and lose R125 which I could replace if I only knew the value required.

R125 has a 4.84kohmz resistance on the 1.4 board. (assuming i measured correctly)

By the way the shields are there for some reasons :)

Edited by Foxtrot

Found this information about HR-52. It sounds plausible that i got the right datasheet. Right?

The RT9819 is a micro-power voltage detector supervising the power supply voltage level for microprocessors (μP) or digital systems. It provides internally fixed threshold levels with 0.1V per step ranging from 1.2V to 5V, which covers most digital applications. It features low supply current of 3μA. The RT9819 performs supervisory function by sending out a reset signal whenever the VDD voltage falls below a preset threshold level. This reset signal will last the whole period before VDD recovering. Once VDD recovered upcrossing the threshold level, the reset signal will be released after a certain delay time. RT9819 is provided in SC-70-3, SC-82 and SOT-23-3 packages.

Main Site
HR-52 ?

What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Foxtrot said:

On the 1.4 board the transistor has "HR 52" printed on it.

R125 has a 4.84kohmz resistance on the 1.4 board. (assuming i measured correctly)

By the way the shields are there for some reasons :)

thanks, took me the better part of last hour to fight with the stubborn 0402 5.1k since that was the closest I found.

Unfortunately this did not bring the MK5 back to life, Already swapped the U14. That was when I managed to waste the R125.

The shield is back in place but did not determine any led to light up either:)

Thanks for the fast lookup, it was worth a try but without documentation it is probably wasted time,

yak

1 minute ago, Sebkinne said:

Chances are, if you gave 12V to the USB port of the MKV, you have fried the SoC. There isn't any recovering from this.

That was exactly what i feared. I was hoping that some other part was acting like a fuse, and dying before reaching the SoC.
Well, it's probably time for an upgrade anyways. :)

Just now, Zylla said:

That was exactly what i feared. I was hoping that some other part was acting like a fuse, and dying before reaching the SoC.
Well, it's probably time for an upgrade anyways. :)

On the PSU that would be the case, but 12V on the USB will fry the hub and most likely the SoC. Sorry that happened :(