Multiple USB network adapters using same UCI intf name/ config

HercMull

I have my NANO successfully configured to use both a USB Wi-Fi dongle (wlan2) and a USB Ethernet adapter (eth1), however I would like to create a interface definition in /etc/config/network that would allow both to share configuration parameters (and, by extension, firewall rules). The OpenWRT Wiki provides some guidance for configuring multiple network settings for a single physical device but I can't seem to work out how to do the opposite: single network/ firewall configuration regardless of which physical device is connected to the USB port. Of course, it's possible to duplicate the configuration for each interface, but the simplicity/ consistency of a single setup for whichever "WAN" interface happens to be connected is preferable. Any thoughts?

What "parameters" do you mean ?

allow both to share configuration parameters

Like a Loadbalancer for a WAN Interface ?

configuring multiple network settings for a single physical

Sorry but i´m confused what you exactly mean....

Not looking to create a bridge, insofar as only one of the interfaces in question will ever be connected at a time.

/etc/config/wireless contains:

config wifi-iface
	option device 'radio2'
	option ifname 'wlan2'
	option mode 'sta'
	option network 'wan'

Which associates the wlan2 interface w/ the WAN config block in /etc/config/network:

config interface 'wan'
	option proto	'dhcp'
	option dns	'8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4'

And, perhaps more importantly, w/ the WAN zone of the firewall and its related rules. In a perfect world, I would like to have the WAN settings from /etc/config/network and /etc/config/firewall applied to both the USB WLAN interface or the USB Ethernet, regardless of which is connected. However, if I add

option ifname	'eth1'

to the config interface 'wan' section /etc/config/network, those settings will no longer be applied to the WLAN interface. The ultimate goal is to have a single config block in /etc/config/network and /etc/config/network cover the settings for both interfaces.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that /etc/config/firewall allows for multiple networks to be added to a zone:

config zone
	option name		wan
	list   network		'wan'
	list   network		'wan2'
	option input		ACCEPT
	option output		ACCEPT
	option forward		ACCEPT
	option masq		1
	option mtu_fix		1

I mistakenly thought that the zone name was directly linked to the logical network name and, therefore, a new interface would require creation of a new zone. Glad to be wrong about that.