Close to giving up on PV can't get it working final plea for help

odeon

hi all

nothing works on this device for some reason and I REALLY have followed the videos both here and on youtube. SO I am assuming that the box itself is ok and it's something "I" am doing.   What happens is that I flash with the latest OS try follow TO THE LETTER a video telling me how to get a MITM attack working and things go very wrong. Interfaces stop for no reason that I can see and I never seem to get anything that looks like a data file.

SO is there a script, manual, video that others have used to get started with the Pineapple V and Kali?

I have tried many times to get this thing doing something and each time gave in.

ANY help would be appreciated.

The Pineapple is a wifi device that is by no means Kali-specific so for starters try using it with an OS you're intimately familiar with (and if that actually happens to be Kali, that's of course totally fine).

Next, take a text editor you're comfortable with, and write down everything you do with your Pineapple. So you get a sheet like:

1. Turn on Pineapple, wait for light combo ...
  2. Open browser, go to http://1.2.3.4:5678
  3. Enter username root, password root and click continue
  4. etc, etc, etc

Start with reflashing the device with the latest firmware and without an SD card for now, just so we know the baseline and other people who also have a Pineapple can perform the exact same steps you are performing which should result in either a step where someone says "Hey, you're not supposed to do that like that", or someone says "Huh? I get something *WAY* different". I'm sure it sounds horrendously tedious, but the point is that, indeed, either YOU are doing something wrong or your device is defective. It's of no use to anybody when you (or anyone for that matter) to spouts off vague complains about the thing "not working" - we need a *precise* and reproducible scenario.

It also helps when you include in the list things that surprise you. Like "I was expecting X to happen here but instead I'm seeing Y (link to screenshot or anything)".

58 minutes ago, cooper said:

The Pineapple is a wifi device that is by no means Kali-specific so for starters try using it with an OS you're intimately familiar with (and if that actually happens to be Kali, that's of course totally fine).

Next, take a text editor you're comfortable with, and write down everything you do with your Pineapple. So you get a sheet like:

1. Turn on Pineapple, wait for light combo ...
  2. Open browser, go to http://1.2.3.4:5678
  3. Enter username root, password root and click continue
  4. etc, etc, etc

Start with reflashing the device with the latest firmware and without an SD card for now, just so we know the baseline and other people who also have a Pineapple can perform the exact same steps you are performing which should result in either a step where someone says "Hey, you're not supposed to do that like that", or someone says "Huh? I get something *WAY* different". I'm sure it sounds horrendously tedious, but the point is that, indeed, either YOU are doing something wrong or your device is defective. It's of no use to anybody when you (or anyone for that matter) to spouts off vague complains about the thing "not working" - we need a *precise* and reproducible scenario.

It also helps when you include in the list things that surprise you. Like "I was expecting X to happen here but instead I'm seeing Y (link to screenshot or anything)".

Hey Cooper

gotcha on the clarity thing but this is NOT a situation where I think the machine is not working, it's me. I was asking for a tried and true set of instructions that will get me to a baseline where I should be seeing traffic logged to a file. I have reflashed the device many times AND used only Ubuntu (15 and 16). One issue is that the instructions I seem to find don't cover the latest release of the firmware. ANYWAY my point is that I don't think the device is faulty it's me and I was asking for a decent set of instructions that others say started them off on a path that worked for the PV. Thanks again for your guidance but I don't want to suck up too much of people's time doing things I can do myself.

As you seemed to have established that existing guide(s) didn't help you, pick one and write about your experience following it. Allow others to chime in saying you took a wrong turn. Asking someone else to do a full, high-detail write-up for you to follow is the act of sucking other people's time which is why I suggest you spend your time making it as you try to get the thing to behave and allow others to correct you whenever they notice you do something off, which is much less time-draining for them.

It would be too bad if you gave up!

Fact is, the Pineapple is a complicated device (at least when you're new to it, like me). That's why it's hard to write a "nothing-can-go-wrong-my-mom-can-do-it" tutorial for it. There are just too many things that can go "wrong" when performing a mitm for example, to cover them all in a tutorial. 

When I first received mine I thought: now let's see what fun things I can do with this. Eeeeeeh (buzzer sound). Wrong! I first spent weeks getting to know the thing. *&!a@*@

But at every point I got stuck, if I narrowed it down to what exactely went wrong, I found other people had already asked for this in the forums. This way I worked myself through it to the point I now know what I'm doing. 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, cooper said:

As you seemed to have established that existing guide(s) didn't help you, pick one and write about your experience following it. Allow others to chime in saying you took a wrong turn. Asking someone else to do a full, high-detail write-up for you to follow is the act of sucking other people's time which is why I suggest you spend your time making it as you try to get the thing to behave and allow others to correct you whenever they notice you do something off, which is much less time-draining for them.

Which existing guide helped you the most please when you were starting up with the PV that is the real question I should have asked.

Edited by odeon

25 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

It would be too bad if you gave up!

Fact is, the Pineapple is a complicated device (at least when you're new to it, like me). That's why it's hard to write a "nothing-can-go-wrong-my-mom-can-do-it" tutorial for it. There are just too many things that can go "wrong" when performing a mitm for example, to cover them all in a tutorial. 

When I first received mine I thought: now let's see what fun things I can do with this. Eeeeeeh (buzzer sound). Wrong! I first spent weeks getting to know the thing. *&!a@*@

But at every point I got stuck, if I narrowed it down to what exactely went wrong, I found other people had already asked for this in the forums. This way I worked myself through it to the point I now know what I'm doing. 

Hey Maxwell thanks for the reply and guidance. I "think" that my question has been misintrepted here and would like to clear that up. I am more than happy to experiment with the PV BUT right now all the things I have read and tried have not seemed to work  SO I was asking

"Which set of EXISTING instructions were the most useful when you were starting with the Pineapple V"

I hope this is a better question that doesn't seem to be asking anyone to tailor a new approach to just me because clearly I am important :-) and should be pampered

3 hours ago, Maxwell said:

I guess it's personal what you like best. I started with the videos on YouTube. Some are better than others. 

And I worked through the most videos here

http://www.hak5.org/category/episodes/pineapple-university

thanks Maxwell I will give it one more try using the University vids but they don't seem to cover the latest release of the OS NOR can I find Youtube vids that cover it.  ANYWAY I will try one more time using the vids and if not just call it a day and carry on messing around with my Raspberry Pi which is VERY satisfying :-)