open-wrt vs dd-wrt

b0N3z

Im looking at flashing open-wrt to my secondary wifi router because I don't use it much and want to pretty much see what I can do with it.  Using the Pineapple Nano ive kinda got an idea of open-wrt but im sure its a little different when it comes to a router thats not a Pineapple.  I want open-wrt because that is what the Pineapple uses and I want to familiarize myself with it more.  

1,) I dont want to brick the router trying this 

2,) Is there any advantages to running DD-WRT over OPEN-WRT

3,) If I brick a wifi router (Netgear WNR2000 V1) can I flash the stock firmware and revive it?

Due to the general population not using terminology properly, let me fix a definition for you.  If you brick the router, it's trash, the only use for it after that would be a brick.  If something is "unbricked" then it wasn't bricked in the first place, it just got messed up and was difficult to fix.  I don't know where this "unbricking" term came from, but it's annoying...  :tongue:

Now, for the real answers to your questions.

#1 Anything is brickable if you try hard enough!  :lol:  Don't do that.

#2 I don't know of any real disadvantage between the two if you're just going to use it as a router.  I think dd-wrt has better GUIs.

#3 That model isn't supported.

3 hours ago, barry99705 said:

Due to the general population not using terminology properly, let me fix a definition for you.  If you brick the router, it's trash, the only use for it after that would be a brick.  If something is "unbricked" then it wasn't bricked in the first place, it just got messed up and was difficult to fix.  I don't know where this "unbricking" term came from, but it's annoying...  :tongue:

Note taken!! :)

And yes I have come to realize that very quickly but I have my other router that is, I might just mess with that and see what one I like best.