question

Painkiller667

I got a stupid question: What if there was a house with wifi somewhere in the countryside, such as a forest, and if I were to sneak somewhere behind a bush with my laptop, would I be caught? Or is it at all possible to catch me? If I just go, and say attempt to hack the pentagon, lol, not that i ever would/could. Would anyone be able to find me?

thanks for the advice, It is now safe to go kill yourself.

I wish there were filters in the forum for people like you who constantly press f5 to see the latest posts and then give a retarded reply. If you cant provide any good answers, dont reply at all, just wasting people's time. Dont just write some crap, which only you think is funny. I notice this alot. People have a legitimate question and there is an asshole on the forum who takes his time to give a fruitcake reply.

Painkiller, calm down. Common sense says that if you see someone hiding behind a bush you call the police. It's all a matter of the size and shape of the bush, and if you have uber-nijna ( :ninja: ) sealth skills. As far as can you be caught? Depends on how fast you run with a laptop in your hands. If you do hack the pentagon, they probably wouldn't take that well, in which you may need to be able to run even faster, maybe even get some running shoes.

So, todays lesson, think about your question before asking, and if you don't prepare for really lame, bizarre, and useless replies. Like this one. :wink:

Tomorrows lesson, why suicide is bad.

Heinzanova's response isnt retarded if you tried to hack the pentagon of corse you can be tracked they probally have like a team of people that just monitor the network for suspicious traffic. I wouldnt be surprised if they are looking up your ip and busting you right now. But i mean if you were just on someone's home network and just happened to break their 128 bit wep password I mean noone would probally care unless your like downloading off bittorrent and really slowing down the network. I mean sure they can catch you even after you disconnect cuz routers usually keep a log or something and they can get your mac adress and bust you but if its just a residential line who would bother.

Alright I get where you guys are going with this. Dont take me word for word, interpreting that Im going to hack the pentagon, which I wont. Did I make that clear? I WILL NOT HACK THE PENTAGON. Now my question was, if there was a network somewhere in a secluded area without any encryption, and I used it, and obviously left log files behind with my mac address, is there any way that they can trace my mac address to where I am. I mean, im not going to camp under the same tree near the house, its a temporary thing. Now if I go there, use the wifi for a bit, and then go home, will I have left enough information for people to figure out where I live? Whether its fbi or whoever. Just curious if mac address can provide enough info on a person.

For the annoying people, I also provide the information that suppose I never provide any personal info using that mac address and leave no records of myself on that laptop

P.S. I understand and am sure that the fbi and all the others might have a script running and constantly scanning for words like OSAMA or PENTAGON or Terrorist, but there would be no reason to arrest me as some of you had said, because i asked a question which you misinterpreted in me implying that I will be attempting to hack the pentagon

WHICH I AM NOT

and by the way, why do you guys think that a person can get busted just by mentioning the words "pentagon" and "hack" in the same thread. Many people on this forum said much more interesting things for the fbi to investigate.

You dont know that though since the people that know gets silenced by the government. The simple answer to your question is no you would not be likly to be tracked. Can they? sure would they? nope if your talking abotu a residental line in the middle of nowhere.

who knows if the pentagon has wifi. And what your talking about is MAC spoofing which just makes the os report as a different mac address, your mac address is stored on a eeprom chip which cant really be modified easily you get a modified copy of the data sotred there and you have to find a eeprom programer which isnt cheap.

On linux you can easily change the mac address with the ifconfig. There also are some utilities to do it on windows.

Anyway, even if they have your mac address, it will be a pain to hunt you with it. The MAC address is given by the Network card's manufacturer. The first three numbers are the manufacturer identity and the three last one are the card ID.

00:90:F5:4E:CE:A7

I don't think they will be able to find the serial number of your laptop with the mac address. And even if they have it, can they tell where it was selled and who bought it ? Especially if it's an old laptop..