Wifi Pineapple not detected by Kali Linux VM (Parallels)

dannyp4p

What's up everybody, I'm having some issues. I just got a new wifi pineapple nano tactical and it's not being detected by Kali. It powers on, flickers a little before becoming solid blue. I followed the tutorial exactly as show and still no results. I issued a iwconfig, dmesg, lsusb and nothing is listed. Just to eliminate all possibilities, I used another wireless usb and it registered ASAP. Just wondering if the device may be defective or if there's something that I'm not accounting for. Please help! I'm teaching myself about pen testing and cyber security in general, even installed Snort on my ubuntu machine and have been fun with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Easy way to test this is to make a bootable copy of Kali Linux 2016.1 on a DVD or make a bootable Kali Linux 2016.1 bootable USB stick and then try again.

I'm just gonna assume that it's possibly just a driver issue with your Virtual Machine your using, I would recommend using Virtualbox but likely if you have another Virtual Machine uninstalling one and installing another one could leave problems that the first one had.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kapu Lanai said:

Isn't there a drop down list to activate certain peripherals in vm? I've had to manually tell it to use devices before rather than just on the system os. Don't know if that's relevant anymore. My setup has gone away from VMware over the years. 

Yeah that true their should be a menu on that VM that will allow you to attach it to the guest host which is Kali Linux that did slip my mind you have to do this with Virtual Box as well I'm not sure what the menu is called on that Virtual Machine your using but their should be a menu when you boot up the  Kali Linux VM you will have to attach the ASIX i believe its called from the USB devices area. 

In parallels you have to have the VM started first. Get logged in and to the desktop.  Plug the Pineapple into your machine and Parallels should open a pop-up for the Pineapple asking you which OS to connect it to.  Other than that you can go to Preferences and then the Devices Tab and add the pineapple to the Kali VM only.  Its labelled AX88x72a.  I used Parellels a lot when I first got my Pineapple and it works very well.  You have to have the VM up and running before you can connect any devices to the VM.  Parallels is the best VM for usb devices that I have ever used.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/12/2016 at 7:40 AM, b0N3z said:

In parallels you have to have the VM started first. Get logged in and to the desktop.  Plug the Pineapple into your machine and Parallels should open a pop-up for the Pineapple asking you which OS to connect it to.  Other than that you can go to Preferences and then the Devices Tab and add the pineapple to the Kali VM only.  Its labelled AX88x72a.  I used Parellels a lot when I first got my Pineapple and it works very well.  You have to have the VM up and running before you can connect any devices to the VM.  Parallels is the best VM for usb devices that I have ever used.

Thanks b0N3z, very helpful