Maybe Downloaded the Wrong Firmware

Chilidog42

I bought the Nano.  I have a Mac and and an old windows computer running 7 pro.  I thought I would firmware upgrade using the Mac and Linux upgrade file.  When I got to the instructions for the internet sharing, the Mac would not take the "wget" command.  I then read a post by Darren that seemed like it might be a pain to maintain the Nano on a Mac.  I plugged the nano into the Windows 7 machine and it will not connect to the nano using the path.  Are the firmwares different between the Linux download and the Windows download?  I cannot even get the Windows machine to get to the point to where I can flash the firmware, so I am wondering if I have just paired the Nano with Linux by downloading that firmware first.  Does anyone know if that happened?  Do I need to go through that long firmware restore process and then download the Windows version of the firmware?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

The firmware for NANO doesn't come in different OS flavors. There is only one firmware set located at: 

https://www.wifipineapple.com/downloads

the "pairing" process is nothing more than getting connected to the pineapple via the USB interface (which is actually an Ethernet interface) 

are you getting anything when you plug it in with the y cable? The system you plug into should detect it as a network adapter. 

If the system your using detects the Ethernet adapter make sure your assigning an IP address in the correct range, or at least setting the subnet to a class that will communicate to the 172. Address 

Edited by Captain
Typo

When I plug the Y connector into the computer, I get a page with the pixelated dinosaur that says "site can't be reached".  The device manager has it coming up as "other devices".  Screenshots are attached.  Is it possible that this computer is too old?  When I had connected it to my Mac, the web interface came up just fine.  

Device Manager.PNG

Properties.PNG

Site_Cant_Be_Reached.PNG

Excuse me, I get the sad piece of paper, not the dinosaur.  Anyway, I just plugged it into a newer Dell Precision M4700 and the web interface came up.  Comes up as ASIX AX88772A USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Connector.  I'd still like to use this older Acer computer if we could get it to work here.  The Dell is my work computer and they kind of frown on extracurricular use.

I plugged it into my desktop and got the the same sad page error.  They both use the same ESET Firewall and Antivirus, so I turned it off on this computer and still got the error.  Do you think the ESET software could still be playing a part in blocking this device?

ESET OFF.PNG