Aussie ISP shaping

Brayn

I thought i would start a thread for aussies to vent about our isp's shaping our internet. I would like to talk about what isp you are using and what your paying. I'm with TPG and paying $69.95 a month for 1.5mb/256kb and 25 gig before getting shaped to 64kbs.

The cheapest true unlimited plan that I have found is with Dodo for $100

I thought i would start a thread for aussies to vent about our isp's shaping our internet. I would like to talk about what isp you are using and what your paying. I'm with TPG and paying $69.95 a month for 1.5mb/256kb and 25 gig before getting shaped to 64kbs.

its time to upgrade... to ADSL2++ :P

im also with tpg

24000/1000

$50-60 a month cant remember

unlimited but shaped at 30 gig... shaped to 128/128

your on an old ADSL plan, free upgrade essentially

I would upgrade to adsl2+ if i could but according to the tpg web site i cant. But what I'm saying its not the speed I'm complaining about its that they shape the connection at ridiculously small amounts. I have not found a true unlimited adsl2+ plan yet.

Man I wish i had that connection, i would download so much, my torrent client would never be closed. I would need to buy a new hard drive every week.

What grinds me, is I am planning on moving out of Palo Alto soon, and they have a whole city owned network of dark fiber that they plan on opening up to the public for fiber in every house, SBC is outside right now cutting up the sidewalk to bring it in :-/

oh well next town has free internet thanks to google

Man I wish i had that connection, i would download so much, my torrent client would never be closed. I would need to buy a new hard drive every week.

What grinds me, is I am planning on moving out of Palo Alto soon, and they have a whole city owned network of dark fiber that they plan on opening up to the public for fiber in every house, SBC is outside right now cutting up the sidewalk to bring it in :-/

I'm in the same area where are you moving too SF?

I know that Australia is about as far as you can get from anyware, but that can't be the only reson for the most insane bandwith prices on the planet can it? I know about the on/off peek stuff in certin ares, but still the prices I hear about for you gus are just nuts.

i have a 10gig cap shaped to 64kbps afterward. With a 64:1 upload:download ratio. 8mbit/16kbps. Torrent client hehe.... if i have a 24mbit/24mbit connection i wouldn't bother with torrents i would just whore. 6TB down alone i reckon ;).

TPG are just going tor the wow factor and grab as main customers away from the good ISP. Not giving too much care to planning. Targeting mums and dads whom check there hotmail/emails or send pictures to relatives

Most of these ISP main focusing are

- breaking even

- Fast speeds isn't a priority. It's cheaper to shape people and hold out on upgrade until our bandwidth/company is pubic ridiculed. By public and the media serviced

Live on University now, probably moving to mt view or something... I wanna get a house with a few people.

How about you???

You would think maybe the Aussie ISP's if the fact of the distance was the issue they would do something like our cell phone carriers do.

Unlimited in network traffic (maybe unlimited in continent?)

and like 400 Minutes (40GB) off shores content a month, before throttling offshores stuff.

I dunno... I won't be moving across the pond any time soon.

Live on University now, probably moving to mt view or something... I wanna get a house with a few people.

How about you???

I'm on the Walnut Creek border but I may be moveing to San Ramon

I know that Australia is about as far as you can get from anyware, but that can't be the only reson for the most insane bandwith prices on the planet can it? I know about the on/off peek stuff in certin ares, but still the prices I hear about for you gus are just nuts.

A friend of mine told me that one of the biggest reasons why Australia is so far behind the rest of the world as far as bandwith goes is because Telstra (the main telecommunications company, kinda like AT&T before the break up) is really big here and has for many years now been running as a privately owned company. Apparently they have been very poor in the way that they were managing the nations telecommunications infrastructure. High bandwidth prices are a result of that.

Other reasons that i'm going to guess are that most of our internet traffic would probably be heading to the US, which means that alot of that would be international traffic, which would be more expensive. That would factor into the cost that an end cosumer would see.

Foreign investment into Australia, building infrastructure that telstra doesn't own might be a good idea.

its time to upgrade... to ADSL2++ :P

im also with tpg

24000/1000

$50-60 a month cant remember

unlimited but shaped at 30 gig... shaped to 128/128

your on an old ADSL plan, free upgrade essentially

yeah im thinking about getting about adsl 2+ with iinet any one have any feedbacK?? and also the main or one of the reason australia is behind the internet speeds boom is telstra, they are charging isp premium to use their owned exchanges but luckly some companys are installing their own dslam.

sigh i wish i had a fibre channel and telstra was privatized and/or dead from their competator's

Cable is what i use, get 10MB down and 1 MB up. usually it caps out at about 7-8 MB down and about 600 KB up.

working for my ISP i can go to work and check my area for saturation and kindly asked to get moved a different router card.

one good thing about it i guess.