[Official] Site Survey Module

Whistle Master

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

What radio are you using? Wlan0 is reserved and will likely cause issues.

I tried wlan1 but airodump still wont start. 

If i type „airmon-ng Start wlan1“ the drivers column is filled with „?????“ could this cause problems? 

For me it looks like airodump cant even start or becomes immediatly blocked by something?!

btw sorry for my bad english...

Thats the process i cant kill, is it blocking my nano from monitoring ?

"grep wpa_action\|wpa_supplicant\|wpa_cli\|dhclient\|ifplugd\|dhcdbd\|dhcpcd\|udhcpc\|NetworkManager\|knetworkmanager\|avahi-autoipd\|avahi-daemon\|wlassistant\|wifibox\|PID | grep -v grep"

7 minutes ago, Todestoaster said:

Thats the process i cant kill, is it blocking my nano from monitoring ?

hummm... Are you using wlan1 in client mode to give internet to your pineapple? if you are thats why it could be in use.

The ????? in airmon-ng output is fine, its been mentioned before and it does not effect operation.

12 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Are you using wlan1 in client mode to give internet to your pineapple

could that be possible if im sharing internet via usb connection ?  if that is the problem how can i change this ? :blink:

so maybe this is causing the process i cant kill.

& thank you for your quick response :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Todestoaster said:

could that be possible if im sharing internet via usb connection ?  if that is the problem how can i change this ? :blink:

I was just thinking about what matches your symptoms. It might  not  be right.

In the networking tab, you should see the client mode section and there you can see the interface/IP in use. If you did it with a USB 3rd radio it should be set to use wlan2... but if its set to wlan1 then its not using the 3rd radio and is using the internal radio.

3 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

I was just thinking about what matches your symptoms. It might  not  be right.

In the networking tab, you should see the client mode section and there you can see the interface/IP in use. If you did it with a USB 3rd radio it should be set to use wlan2... but if its set to wlan1 then its not using the 3rd radio and is using the internal radio.

sorry, i meant my nano is connected to internet via my laptop not an extra 3rd radio. Do i need one ?

Just now, Todestoaster said:

sorry, i meant my nano is connected to internet via my laptop not an extra 3rd radio. Do i need one ?

No, it shouldnt  be what i thought it was in that configuration.

I would fire up a ssh connection and run airmon-ng and airodump-ng from terminal - this  will show you if its a module issue and possibly give you more feedback if there are any errors.

2 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

No, it shouldnt  be what i thought it was in that configuration.

I would fire up a ssh connection and run airmon-ng and airodump-ng from terminal - this  will show you if its a module issue and possibly give you more feedback if there are any errors.

ok i will, and post the results, last time i tried i didnt work either.

thank you

3 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

hummm... Are you using wlan1 in client mode to give internet to your pineapple? if you are thats why it could be in use.

The ????? in airmon-ng output is fine, its been mentioned before and it does not effect operation.

wlan1 is in client mode but i cant change it, is this causing my problems ?

Just to make sure were on the same page. We''re talking about Networking tab of the Pineapple UI - The pineapple is currently using client mode with wlan1 to your AP  wifi?

if so you should be able to hit disconnect button. Or try save network settings (usually resets), or you could Factory reset the pineapple or worst case do a firmware recovery to ensure its factory fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Todestoaster,

I had a similar issue as you have described. In my case, my nano was missing the /pineapple/modules/SiteSurvey/capture/ directory. This caused the process to fail to start.

I ssh'd in and created it, then chown to set the owning user/group to match the rest in the folder.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

possible reason

I managed to launch the Site Survey module, which I installed on the SD card. But I needed to fix the file capture.sh

old:   58.  airodump-ng -c ${CHANNEL} --bssid ${BSSID} -w /pineapple/modules/SiteSurvey/capture/capture_${MYTIME} ${MYMONITOR} &> /dev/null &

new:  58.  airodump-ng -c ${CHANNEL} --bssid ${BSSID} -w /sd/modules/SiteSurvey/capture/capture_${MYTIME} ${MYMONITOR} &> /dev/null &

• 1 month later...

Suffering the same as described in the posting by PablitoEmilio on the firmware release topic

I have just updated the Nano firmware to 2.1.0 and downloaded Site Survey 1.3.

I have also found that upon opening the module for the very first time on a newly flashed Nano the "counter" shows 12 captures.

Subsequently trying to undertake a capture results in nothing obviously happening. It says a capture is in progress but nothing ever appears in the capture area and the counter stays at 12.

Anyone else getting this apart from just me and PablitoEmilio?

Despite trying to capture packets, a check of the /pineapple/modules/SiteSurvey/ folder showed that no "capture" folder was created / present. The script "capture.sh" suggests this is where the captures are stored.

Creating a folder "capture" in /pineapple/modules/SiteSurvey/ showed that captures were apparently now being saved, however:
(1) The capture did not appear in the table in the GUI
(2) The GUI captures indicator now showed that instead of 12 non-existent captures there were 115 non-existent captures.

I didn't explore further as I have spent too much time on this.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, aethernaut said:

Despite trying to capture packets, a check of the /pineapple/modules/SiteSurvey/ folder showed that no "capture" folder was created / present. The script "capture.sh" suggests this is where the captures are stored.

Creating a folder "capture" in /pineapple/modules/SiteSurvey/ showed that captures were apparently now being saved, however:
(1) The capture did not appear in the table in the GUI
(2) The GUI captures indicator now showed that instead of 12 non-existant captures there were 115 non-existant captures.

I didn't explore further as I have spent too much time on this.

Just wanted to stop by and also say i had to manually create the capture folder for Site Survey. I love the module but it seems the 2.x firmware may have some issues with it. I'm still not seeing the captures under the capture tab and it gives off random numbers after a capture, i just download the cap manually now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only completed a simple test but firmware 2.1.1 appears to fix SiteSurvey.

However it seems you may still have to create a "capture" folder in /pineapple/modules/SiteSurvey/ before it fully works. I already had the module on the SD card so I do not know if a new install would require this.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings all, 

Recently starting using the nano and installed the site survey module almost immediately. 

Upon running an AP scan is there a way to save the results to csv ?...I don’t see any options to do so but then again I could totally be missing it. 

If not currently possible, this would make a great addition to this module. 

Thanks !

• 1 month later...

Archived