Meterpreter Directory Browsing Bug?

Adam Smith

Hey guys,

I recently came across an error or "glitch" which involves the browsing in a remote machine's files in meterpreter shell. I noticed that with files that have a space or many spaces in their name cannot be opened. The meterpreter shell returns the following error:

[-] stdapi_fs_chdir: Operation failed: The system cannot find the file specified.

This is especially annoying as one cannot access obvious locations such as Program Files since there is a space. I have tried using an underscore instead or just omitting the space, with no luck.

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

navigating threw a files system where a directory includes spaces is frustrating.

Does tab completion work? Type the first sevral leters of the folder then press tab.

ls name(tab or double tab)

What about wild cards?

ls name*

ls name\ of\ folder\ location

The slash enables the space to be read (not sure if my illiterate brain has served this up properly)

You will find special characters will give you the same problem... if your file or folderhas fancy chars in it, place a slash befor it...

"Name of location(2015)"

ls Name\ of\ location\(2015\)

\(

\)

\ <---space

navigating threw a files system where a directory includes spaces is frustrating.

Does tab completion work? Type the first sevral leters of the folder then press tab.

ls name(tab or double tab)

What about wild cards?

ls name*

ls name\ of\ folder\ location

The slash enables the space to be read (not sure if my illiterate brain has served this up properly)

You will find special characters will give you the same problem... if your file or folderhas fancy chars in it, place a slash befor it...

"Name of location(2015)"

ls Name\ of\ location\(2015\)

\(

\)

\ <---space

Thanks a million mate, tab completion didn't solve the issue, but using backslashes did.

For example:

cd \Windows\ Defender

Cheers!