Attn Beer Drinkers of the EST

Heinzanova

A friend of mine did it once, but it wound up kinda watery.

Later, a co-worker showed up with a couple of beers at the friday end-of-the-week drink at work. People were happy with it, so I asked if I could take a bottle home and try it (I don't drink at all when I still need to drive. I don't give a fuck what the laws permit) which he graciously agreed to. And I had to admit, it was a rather tasty brew.

I myself don't usually go out to buy beers because I simply haven't found one that's really appealing to me.

I've had Sam A and Red Hook and both were OK. I like mixed drinks and twisted tea's because of the sweetness of them. I like hard liquors that go down fast. I've downed a Miller quite easily because it was more like flavored water than beer.

Anyone have suggestions for a good beer that a newbie would appreciate?

Old Brown is a low-alcohol beer that's really sweet.

I think a lot of Doubles are kinda sweet comparitively, but beer is supposed to be a good mix of sweet and bitter.

See if you can get your hands on La Chouffe. It's rather herbal in terms of flavour which most people can appreciate with ease. In fact, every person I've talked to felt that *ANY* beer drunk after La Chouffe, other than more La Chouffe, tastes like crap. La Chouffe has a very recognisable cutesy leprechaun on its label.

There are a couple others I could recommend, but I don't think they're exported much. Stuff brewed by De Dolle Brouwers, a small-time belgian brewer, particularly comes to mind. They add candy to the beer once the fermentation stage is over. The lump of suger both sweetens the beer, and restarts the fermentation with the bit of yeast that's still in the bottle.

Um. You do know that a lot of special beers have a deposit of yeast in them, yes? So you pour the beer out slowly, and leave the last bit either in the bottle, or pour it into a shot glass for the so-called "yeast pill" if you like the taste of it.

Thanks I'll see what I can find. I appreciate it!

• 2 months later...

yeah, yeah. I know the thread is older,but being a Canuck I have to put my 2 cents in anyway. It's about beer after all!

If we're talking pales, then my fave is Alexander Keith's IPA. For lagers, I have to stick by good old Molson, though I prefer Molson Dry to Molson Canadian. For ales, I like a local one Called Traditional Ale by Big Rock. And for stouts, you can't beat a Guinness!!

Now having said that, those are just faves. I've drank and immensely enjoyed a variety of others including previously mentioned Stella and Cooper's. I'm sorry to say guys that I've given the mainstream American beers a fair shake, but am just not impressed. Perhaps it's just the lower alcohol content. :P

Also avoid Bierre D'or in the UK (and I suppose France, since if's French)... I don't even credit it with the name beer.... Tesco (a UK supermarket chain) own-brand blue+white label Lager and Bitter with the same label... pondwater in a can, don't buy it, no matter how tempting 25p a can sounds!