Recon Module Experiment

Skinny

Hi Guys,

I was just playing around with two different Nanos and noticed something odd. Recon mode has two separate responses if it cannot find WiFi in an area. With both units I separately attached each with a Y-adapter cable to a laptop running Ubuntu. The only difference is that one had the 1.0.5 firmware and the second had 1.0.6 firmware.

When the 1.0.5 firmware unit completes a recon scan, it operates as one would expect. After the progress bar has reached 100% or is finished, the screen returns "No scan results" and the Scan Settings return to normal.

When the 1.0.6 firmware unit's recon scan runs and there is nothing in the area to find, it tends to hang at 100% indefinitely. If there is a WiFi signal in the area it operates just as the 1.0.5 firmware does.

As a matter of setup, both Nanos were given a reset so that modules and other screw-ups I might have caused would not manipulate the results.

So I'm curious if anyone else out there can reproduce my results. I know for a few of you finding a place with no WiFi might be difficult but I'm curious if this is a thing or if something else is causing the difference between both of these units.

Thanks!

Skinny

This is a bug I have fixed and will release an update for very soon with lots of other improvements.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Thanks Seb! I wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing something up and getting crazy results.

This is a bug I have fixed and will release an update for very soon with lots of other improvements.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Seb,

You might already know about this, but after some further experiments, it seems there is a more nuanced issue. When the recon scan is set to 'AP & Client', it will only show results if an AP is nearby. If an AP is not detected, then any results of unassociated clients are not reported.

Since I am in an stark WiFi environment, I powered up two client devices and just allowed them to probe. When a recon scan was executed looking for AP & Clients over a 5 minute window, no results were returned. Next, I plugged in an AP an re-ran the scan over a 5 minute period. The scan reported the AP and the two unassociated clients.

I've repeated this experiment several times and get the same results each time. Firmware 1.0.5 does not have the same issue.

Just wanted to make you aware if it wasn't something already being examined.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Seb,

You might already know about this, but after some further experiments, it seems there is a more nuanced issue. When the recon scan is set to 'AP & Client', it will only show results if an AP is nearby. If an AP is not detected, then any results of unassociated clients are not reported.

Since I am in an stark WiFi environment, I powered up two client devices and just allowed them to probe. When a recon scan was executed looking for AP & Clients over a 5 minute window, no results were returned. Next, I plugged in an AP an re-ran the scan over a 5 minute period. The scan reported the AP and the two unassociated clients.

I've repeated this experiment several times and get the same results each time. Firmware 1.0.5 does not have the same issue.

Just wanted to make you aware if it wasn't something already being examined.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

That 1.0.5 doesn't have the same issue is very odd, as it should be present there too.. Either way, I have a fix which will hopefully clear up all Recon issues so far. I have re-written the sniffer to now only use one radio and not get stuck in sparse environments (forgetting to not block on a read is a good idea..).

-Seb