OpenVPN - Block all traffic on connection failure

datura

Hi guys, I've got a VPS running OpenVPN. I'm using the VPN in a VM running Windows 7, and I need to be able to add the ability to block all traffic/real IP leaking if the VPN suddenly disconnects for whatever reason. Is there a way to do this with OpenVPN, or a third party client I can use?

Thanks

I don't quite understand what the trigger on which machine should be. Consider this:

Your machine <--1--> Remote VPN service <--2--> Internet

If this awesome bit of ASCII art doesn't apply to your situation, then please correct me, but assuming it does...

What you're essentially asking is to monitor the '1' connection and if, for whatever reason, it disappears, no other forms of networking is attempted - the network will be down until you manually re-establish '1' again. Is that the idea?

I don't quite understand what the trigger on which machine should be. Consider this:

Your machine <--1--> Remote VPN service <--2--> Internet

If this awesome bit of ASCII art doesn't apply to your situation, then please correct me, but assuming it does...

What you're essentially asking is to monitor the '1' connection and if, for whatever reason, it disappears, no other forms of networking is attempted - the network will be down until you manually re-establish '1' again. Is that the idea?

That's what it sounds like. He doesn't want any data leaking over the unsecured network. I kinda like the idea.

Check out the OpenVPN parameter --down potentially with the --up-restart parameter.

I'm thinking that you can use 'ifconfig <device> down' as command parameter for --down or maybe even drop all the network routes or... well, you have a command that gets run. The world is your oyster.

Check out the OpenVPN parameter --down potentially with the --up-restart parameter.

I'm thinking that you can use 'ifconfig <device> down' as command parameter for --down or maybe even drop all the network routes or... well, you have a command that gets run. The world is your oyster.

Mmmmmm, yak snot! :lol:

Isn't this called a kill switch? If you google for openvpn and killswitch you'll find more people with this concern...and certainly I agree that all vpn software should have this option.

You might be able to configure your firewall to deny all outgoing traffic accept to the vpn server IP.