Having full performance out of your system with Kali Linux

mulayim

Hi Guys,

I had this crazy question always stuck inside of my head... Yet I was too embarresed to ask before. Question is this, I have a high end pc i get amazing performance with Windows 8.1 but it gets laggy and unstable in Kali Linux what could be the problem ? I am writing this from my Kali Linux clean installed system. One and only OS installed yes its capable of doing all these but even after installing Graphic cards drivers, youtube gives me laggy videos. I was wondering if there is something missing, is there something that everyone knows that i dont about how to tweak my system for Kali.

Extra Question : Why there are no Chipset drivers or Storage Accelerators etc in Linux distros like we do it in Windows ?

Thanks In Advance.

Sincerely,

Hi Guys,

I had this crazy question always stuck inside of my head... Yet I was too embarresed to ask before. Question is this, I have a high end pc i get amazing performance with Windows 8.1 but it gets laggy and unstable in Kali Linux what could be the problem ? I am writing this from my Kali Linux clean installed system. One and only OS installed yes its capable of doing all these but even after installing Graphic cards drivers, youtube gives me laggy videos. I was wondering if there is something missing, is there something that everyone knows that i dont about how to tweak my system for Kali.

Extra Question : Why there are no Chipset drivers or Storage Accelerators etc in Linux distros like we do it in Windows ?

Thanks In Advance.

Sincerely,

Because Money.

I'll try to answer, though I can't guarantee that my answer will satisfy you.

1. To start, every machine is different (unless you are using a cookie-cutter Apple machine in which all the specs are the same per model #). With that said, and also considering the nature of Linux (in terms of mainstream support from hardware vendors), you will most certainly have to do a lot of tweaking in order to best configure your machine. Kali Linux itself, as with a lot of Linux distros, is very purpose built. That said, though not impossible, you won't be able to achieve the performance specs that you may be seeking. Sadly, I cannot true aid (and it seems from your statements that you have most certainly tried). For a recommendation, I would say to not run Kali as your primary OS. Instead use something more basic such as Ubuntu (if you want to run Linux as the primary/only), and you can run Kali as a virtual (recommended). However, it really all depends on your purpose. If your purpose is to use a penetration testing OS for professionals on a high-end PC as a YouTube player, then continue to "Try Harder" (bottom of the page: Offsec Say Try Harder!)! Eventually you'll succeed and maybe then you can write about it to assist others as well who may be attempting to do the same or similar actions as you have.

2. The answer provided by barry99705 is for the most part true. What gain is there to be made for (example) NVIDIA to make their GeForce GTX TITAN Z work within Linux? Granted, that would be wonderful, however the reality is that there isn't much for the company to profit from (i.e. money) as oppose to making it solely Windows compatible. It literally does boil down to money regarding that question.

3. Though I fully support and love Hak5, I think you might be able to get some more answers by posting this question in Kali Linux Forums.

I really appreciate your time and effort for this explanation it helped a lot actually. Not directly solving my problem but clearing out the clouds for me for `WHY NOT` question.

As a matter of fact i think i can survive without youtube. Ill try harder for a while for the answers :)

PS: I got it on Kali Forums as well thanks anyway.