Tetra & Nano Cable/Battery Questions

DigitalData

I have run a tetra on a Anker Powercore + 13500. It ran continues scans for 14 hours or so. I know others who have tried other packs, the key is to get the wattage you need to run it. Now granted , scanning is less cpu taxing (i.e.: power consuming) than a full exploit attack but it gives you an general ball park. I also have tested the Tetra with a Omnicharge power pack running it off the DC adaptor, for weight-to-performance the Anker option is my current go to. See this twitter thread:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a powergoilla (21,000mAh) that I won in a FB competition. It has adjustable output voltage but I use the dc barrel jack directly into the tetra and select 12V.

Although not amazing capacity it works real nice and still allows for simultaneously charging my mobile from the USB socket. But for me the icing on the cake is that I can attach the charger (mains or solar) and it charges without powering down the tetra - pass through charging which also acts like a UPS.

https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/portable-chargers/professional/powergorilla/

Its pricey and I wouldn’t have bought it normally but I can recommend it. I’m sure there must be cheaper alternatives tho.

I use 4 Anker of various sizes on the both y-cables and I've gotten a solid 48 hours of PineAP and scan-to-logs out of it.  The nice thing about this, is when a battery pack dies (I have one of the 13500 and it drains prior to the ones that are 20000+), I can swap it out with another battery pack or two and start recharging them.

11 hours ago, Torrey said:

I use the Battery Pack RAVPower Portable Charger 22000mAh 5.8A Output 3-Port Power Bank. The 5.8 amp output is perfect for Tetra and doesn't under power it like some battery packs do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1XH46M

I use the same battery for Tetra.  But the thing to remember is each port is limited to 2.4a so you need to use 2 ports to get the 24w that the tetra will use at full load depending on what your doing. I also use a Jackery Titan 20100mah because it has 5v3.4a usb ports. 17w per port which if your mobile and not doing much will suffice if only using one port.  The Tetra uses 18-24 watts at full load.

So to make this easy and understandable if you don't know how this works.

Volts x Amps = Watts     5v2.4a=12w     5v4.8a=24w     12v2a=24w

So just generally speaking any good battery that you trust or if your buying one research what would best suit your needs and is a reliable battery.  Make sure the 5v output is the amount of amps you need to fully power the tetra.  The bigger the mah the longer it will last.  

Jackery Titan 20100mah   17+ hours running 10 min scans every hour with pineap collecting ssid and 1 mobile device connected to the management AP constantly   Jackery Titan Amazon

RAVPower single battery was roughly the same with the same conditions.  Dual battery got 40+ hrs.  While i was awake it had the same conditions as the Jackery.  I stopped while one battery still had 1 of 4 lights and the other had 2 of 4 lights.  I stopped the test at that point because I didnt see a need to go any longer.  RAVPower 22000mah

O and btw the Nano only needs a 5v2a power supply so think of the possibilities on battery size for that

Jackery Pop Slim 5000mah

I get roughly 6-8hrs from this guy and it works great with a 180 degree usb connector just like the Tactical version.

Hi,

i setup and configured the tetra and everything works fine, I tried to activate the PineAP and started with just collecting SSID into the pool, everything still fine.

When i then just activated the broadcasting from the pool it stayed up for 10 seconds and then the tetra just reboots. this happens with any attack on the pine AP. I had it either powered through USB (single on USB3, USB2, or both connections on USB2) and power supply.

are there any troubleshoot steps i can perform?

7 hours ago, tomek said:

Hi,

i setup and configured the tetra and everything works fine, I tried to activate the PineAP and started with just collecting SSID into the pool, everything still fine.

When i then just activated the broadcasting from the pool it stayed up for 10 seconds and then the tetra just reboots. this happens with any attack on the pine AP. I had it either powered through USB (single on USB3, USB2, or both connections on USB2) and power supply.

are there any troubleshoot steps i can perform?

it really sounds like a power issue. can you try using both eth and UART connected to 4x USB ports? Or power from 12V 2A mains supply?

If its not power you can try connecting to the tatra's UART/serial port and use screen to watch the outputs right up until the reboot. it might give a clue.

Failing that maybe a reset or firmware recovery as a last resort.

On 3/9/2017 at 5:05 PM, b0N3z said:

I use the same battery for Tetra.  But the thing to remember is each port is limited to 2.4a so you need to use 2 ports to get the 24w that the tetra will use at full load depending on what your doing. I also use a Jackery Titan 20100mah because it has 5v3.4a usb ports. 17w per port which if your mobile and not doing much will suffice if only using one port.  The Tetra uses 18-24 watts at full load.

So to make this easy and understandable if you don't know how this works.

Volts x Amps = Watts     5v2.4a=12w     5v4.8a=24w     12v2a=24w

So just generally speaking any good battery that you trust or if your buying one research what would best suit your needs and is a reliable battery.  Make sure the 5v output is the amount of amps you need to fully power the tetra.  The bigger the mah the longer it will last.  

Jackery Titan 20100mah   17+ hours running 10 min scans every hour with pineap collecting ssid and 1 mobile device connected to the management AP constantly   Jackery Titan Amazon

RAVPower single battery was roughly the same with the same conditions.  Dual battery got 40+ hrs.  While i was awake it had the same conditions as the Jackery.  I stopped while one battery still had 1 of 4 lights and the other had 2 of 4 lights.  I stopped the test at that point because I didnt see a need to go any longer.  RAVPower 22000mah

O and btw the Nano only needs a 5v2a power supply so think of the possibilities on battery size for that

Jackery Pop Slim 5000mah

I get roughly 6-8hrs from this guy and it works great with a 180 degree usb connector just like the Tactical version.

Allows for pass through while charging? Or not a factor? 

USB C Hubs Portable Charger RAVPower 20100mAh 30W Type C iSmart 3.0 Data Transfer, USB C/Type C Port Output, Power Bank External Battery Pack for Smartphones, MacBook 12'' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156HCJQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XYzXyb8V7YN07

so this guy prolly overkill and not worth the $ ?

34 minutes ago, CnetExpo said:

Allows for pass through while charging?

That I don't know, i've never looked it up but I don't like to do that as it is not a good practice for batteries.

On 10/03/2017 at 10:59 PM, Just_a_User said:

it really sounds like a power issue. can you try using both eth and UART connected to 4x USB ports? Or power from 12V 2A mains supply?

If its not power you can try connecting to the tatra's UART/serial port and use screen to watch the outputs right up until the reboot. it might give a clue.

Failing that maybe a reset or firmware recovery as a last resort.

Just to be sure I'm doing the right thing and understand it correctly, I will use 2x USB-Y cables and plug it in all USB ports on the tetra / computer?

i did use and try a different power supply (not the one in the box, the plug is USA, and I am in Australia) the power supply I has exactly the same output as the one which shipped, 12v 2amps 

i try the 4 USB, and the serial to see what the output is before it restarts.

it seems that a couple of tetra's have the same issue?

Oh i was not able to edit my above post (?) but i did some further testing:

The Australian power supply I used, i put a voltmeter and checked the output and noticed that it just outputs 1.3amps instead of 2....so there is the problem...

however funny enough, i showed it to my friend and had both USB cable plugged in plus the power supply (the one mentioned above) and started the broadcast (which used to restart after couple of seconds)  and it did not reboot. however the SSIDs where not broadcast .... i had to do a factory reset, then the SSID broadcast worked again and it did not reboot anymore (however i didnt run it for more than 10 seconds at this stage)

i will definitely get an adapter for the original power supply and keep an eye on that.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience is the following... The Pineapple has a flaw: notwithstanding the fact that you have the power supply plugged in, if you connect to the device through a mobile device instead of a computer, the mobile device will try to charge, thus extracting power from the Pineapple and depriving it from the necessary amount of power to run most of it's services. Try using your computer and let me know if you still have a problem, cause you'd be in the same situation I'm in. It's be nice if any of the creators of the Pineapple took the time to participate in the forum and provide solutions, since most of the troubleshooting threads end up with no solutions to problems that are evidently universal. I wonder if they're aware of these flaws and just decided to ignore the community.

2 hours ago, patient0 said:

My experience is the following... The Pineapple has a flaw: notwithstanding the fact that you have the power supply plugged in, if you connect to the device through a mobile device instead of a computer, the mobile device will try to charge, thus extracting power from the Pineapple and depriving it from the necessary amount of power to run most of it's services. Try using your computer and let me know if you still have a problem, cause you'd be in the same situation I'm in. It's be nice if any of the creators of the Pineapple took the time to participate in the forum and provide solutions, since most of the troubleshooting threads end up with no solutions to problems that are evidently universal. I wonder if they're aware of these flaws and just decided to ignore the community.

Many of the threads new people start in this forum (not all though) are related to three main issues I believe. These are 'Operator Error' type problems in part. Not something Seb can just 'fix' with a patch in most cases.

1. The TETRA is VERY power hungry. Especially when running certain modules.

2. The two battery packs shipped with the TETRA are really pretty poor and even when used as directed don't perform reliably (ie. together on 4xUSB to uart & eth ports using BOTH y-cables).

3. Power cycling without properly shutting down the device via the web interface can easily cause corruption to some of the main module/conf files. Obviously if the TETRA is underpowered and you keep getting reboots this is gonna break the filesystem eventually.

I'm not sure what else you expect Hak5 to post in reply? If you search for and read the threads on here related to the problems described above, this has all been discussed many times over.

Regards,

4 minutes ago, 3mrgnc3 said:

Many of the threads new people start in this forum (not all though) are related to three main issues I believe. These are 'Operator Error' type problems in part. Not something Seb can just 'fix' with a patch in most cases.

1. The TETRA is VERY power hungry. Especially when running certain modules.

2. The two battery packs shipped with the TETRA are really pretty poor and even when used as directed don't perform reliably (ie. together on 4xUSB to uart & eth ports using BOTH y-cables).

3. Power cycling without properly shutting down the device via the web interface can easily cause corruption to some of the main module/conf files. Obviously if the TETRA is underpowered and you keep getting reboots this is gonna break the filesystem eventually.

I'm not sure what else you expect Hak5 to post in reply? If you search for and read the threads on here related to the problems described above, this has all been discussed many times over.

Regards,

1. The Tetra is not power hungry, it's power-deprived by its creators, since most of the powering options that should be sufficient are actually barely enough to boot the device. Pine AP is the most basic module and quite enough to knock-out the device very often.

2. Since my Tetra didn't come with any battery pack and actually no battery pack was even available for purchase when I got the Tetra, I didn't even get the satisfaction to try that option.

3. My Tetra didn't come with any instructions. I can do OK without instructions, but given the case, I'd at least expect a simple note explaining the post-production realization that the device fails to function properly on most power supply configurations, ESPECIALLY if costumers are at risk of corrupting the filesystem out-of-the-box style.

No basic instructions nor warnings, no sticky post, no costumer service, no acknowledgements and not one single forum post explaining that even with the original power adapter connected the device is still capable of failing (and corrupting your filesystem?). I've read many threads and usually the official answer is "please contact us at @" or in the best of cases "the Tetra needs 24w" (which won't anyway get if you connect to it your phone or tablet as proposed by the Hak5 team). In many of the cases, the official reply is completely oblivious to the fact that the issue in matter might be caused by a power insufficiency.

I love Hak5 for making widely available very powerful tools for a decent price, but if you ask me what I expect, I shall answer that I expect a fairer degree of business responsibility when a product is failing to perform as supposed by their own standards. The main purpose of opting for automated platforms such as the Pineapple is being able to rely on its autonomy. If you have to keep checking for the device's pulse, the whole concept is a fiasco. I EXPECT FULL DISCLOSURE OF THE UNRELIABILITY OF THE PRODUCT. I don't like embarrassing myself in the middle of a presentation, and let's be honest, the Pineapple can only be taken seriously in the context of a presentation for corporate suits and you'll be doing all your real auditing without it. It's not in good spirit to the community to shove EVIDENT issues under the rug when people just bought themselves a toy and the want to play. 

I hate people telling me that "this has been discussed a million times" when all the deficiencies haven't been summarized properly and the company exposes costumers to product corruption without issuing any warnings with the shipments. People will carry on discussing this because they're left to themselves with an imperfect product. By the way, I didn't even troubleshoot here, I came to conclusions by myself, sadly enough, and I'm just sharing my experience with Tomek, trying to help out.

Regards to you too.

10 hours ago, patient0 said:

1. The Tetra is not power hungry, it's power-deprived by its creators, since most of the powering options that should be sufficient are actually barely enough to boot the device. Pine AP is the most basic module and quite enough to knock-out the device very often.

2. Since my Tetra didn't come with any battery pack and actually no battery pack was even available for purchase when I got the Tetra, I didn't even get the satisfaction to try that option.

3. My Tetra didn't come with any instructions. I can do OK without instructions, but given the case, I'd at least expect a simple note explaining the post-production realization that the device fails to function properly on most power supply configurations, ESPECIALLY if costumers are at risk of corrupting the filesystem out-of-the-box style.

No basic instructions nor warnings, no sticky post, no costumer service, no acknowledgements and not one single forum post explaining that even with the original power adapter connected the device is still capable of failing (and corrupting your filesystem?). I've read many threads and usually the official answer is "please contact us at @" or in the best of cases "the Tetra needs 24w" (which won't anyway get if you connect to it your phone or tablet as proposed by the Hak5 team). In many of the cases, the official reply is completely oblivious to the fact that the issue in matter might be caused by a power insufficiency.

I love Hak5 for making widely available very powerful tools for a decent price, but if you ask me what I expect, I shall answer that I expect a fairer degree of business responsibility when a product is failing to perform as supposed by their own standards. The main purpose of opting for automated platforms such as the Pineapple is being able to rely on its autonomy. If you have to keep checking for the device's pulse, the whole concept is a fiasco. I EXPECT FULL DISCLOSURE OF THE UNRELIABILITY OF THE PRODUCT. I don't like embarrassing myself in the middle of a presentation, and let's be honest, the Pineapple can only be taken seriously in the context of a presentation for corporate suits and you'll be doing all your real auditing without it. It's not in good spirit to the community to shove EVIDENT issues under the rug when people just bought themselves a toy and the want to play. 

I hate people telling me that "this has been discussed a million times" when all the deficiencies haven't been summarized properly and the company exposes costumers to product corruption without issuing any warnings with the shipments. People will carry on discussing this because they're left to themselves with an imperfect product. By the way, I didn't even troubleshoot here, I came to conclusions by myself, sadly enough, and I'm just sharing my experience with Tomek, trying to help out.

Regards to you too.

Hey @patient0

Sorry if I came across rude. I wasn't trying to make you flame. (Hadn't had my morning coffee ;D)

You make some perfeclty valid points imho, and I felt similar frustration when I first got my TETRA.

As it stands though I recommend buying an alternative battery pack/mains supply that will output 12v using the barrel connector. Then reinstall firmware from scratch and always make sure to power the device off via the web interface first before unplugging the battery.

I'm using a Anker Astro3 10000mAh Multi-voltage 5V / 9V / 12V Battery Pack that allows me to charge and draw power at the same time. There are much better newer ones now available though.

You sound really 'ticked off' though. In your case, if you are unhappy with your WifiPineapple see if you can return it and get a refund.

I've been using the pineapple since the MkIV days, and have seen the concept grow out of the 'homebrew' community on here. I guess ive got used to the 'work-in-progress' nature of this kind of project. Where, Hak5 offer 'prototype' style development platforms. Then the community gets involved trying to make it better while learning along the way.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do.

Genuine best regards,

3mrgnc3

No man, my bad, totally. I was just thinking about how bad of an asshole I was this morning. As it turns out, I'm on a 48-hour no sleep retarded frenzy before a road trip and we happened to coincide here just when I was getting all worked up about my Pineapple being more erratic than ever just before the trip I wanted to take it to. I was kinda out of line, I'm sorry.

I had a battery pack custom made to provide the exact amperage and voltage the wall adapter supplies cause I'm scared shitless of frying the thing. Considering the cost and delay of shipping from and to Poland I'm not truly willing to consider sending the PA back. Besides, I'm pretty sure I didn't get a faulty one. And I sustain what I said: it's still a kickass gadget for the price I paid, even by our nasty Polish financial standards.

I'm glad we had this exchange, cause you've showed me that someone cares about the product in the Hak5 community and if you're willing to stick to it, I would be a fool not to try tweak the shit out of the PA myself. And at risk of coming out as a hypocrite, I'll admit I'm pretty psyched about the new Bash Bunny and will continue to purchase Hak5 products. I guess I was just frustrated to find mostly newbie subjects on the forum that usually didn't come to a fruitful resolution. I still think the Hak5 staff should double its efforts to develop the community and provide better costumer service to newbies before they end up dismissing the technology, since those "newbies" might just be the ones that end up tweaking and improving the product, maybe even taking it to a whole new level. It takes balls to come up with these devices and taking them mainstream, so I'm not surprised that the very own developers can't keep up with every troubleshooting detail, but I think they need to start delegating a little bit of work and the leverage an active community gives might just be a part of the solution to the problem.

Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry I came out so edgy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
i hope someone can help me. I already tryed a bunch of Troubleshooting but i had no luck so far so i hope someone can help me here:

Today i´ve finaly got my Pineapple Tetra and tried to set it up but i´ve a buch of trouble with it so far sadly

1) Connected the Pineapple as described in the Ressources: https://wifipineapple.com/pages/faq
But the Pineapple did no connect. It looped the following order: Yellow LED Solid, No LED is on, Blue LED is Blinking, Yellow LED is Solid again and the loop starts again (In the Network Control Center of Windows the Adapter is changing from "Networkcable is removed" to another state and back all the time)
I then reseted it and downloaded the Factory Firmware for it. I uploaded the Firmware, Window freezed after Upload was sucessfull and the Pineapple did not restart for 30 Minutes.
Disconncted the Power, same loop as above started again

2) Reset and Firmware Upload again, this time it worked and pineapple restarted. But no connectivity (changed network, used Static and Dynamic, unplugged my Wifi Adapter cause someone said it causes Problems if your connected to a network sometimes). Same loop as above again

3) Reset again and Firmware again Uploaded. It worked again, Pineapple was restarting. This time even the Configuration in the Browser showed. but when i pressed the reset button shortly (as said in the on screen step to disable the antenna) the Window said "Pineapple is still booting" then timed out after 2 Minutes and the Pineapple looped the same as above again

4) Reset and this time used Firmware Update 1.12 as file. Restarted and went back to the loop

5) Reset again and loading of Factory Firmware again. This Time the Setup succseed and i was able to set Username, SSID and all that Stuff. Saved, Window timed out and the Pineapple Loops again...

6) Reset button is not working (he bearly worked in Step 1 to 5 needed multiple tries untill it worked for 1 to 5) or at least it wont reset correct
Connected via Serial and opend Console and there was a lot of things going on. Was able to catch the Logs for the loop:
###################################
U-Boot 1.1.4 (Dec 22 2015 - 12:54:58)
DB120
DRAM:
sri
Wasp 1.3
wasp_ddr_initial_config(249): (32bit) ddr2 init
wasp_ddr_initial_config(426): Wasp ddr init done
Tap value selected = 0xf [0x0 - 0x1f]
128 MB
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 88000000
Reserving 276k for U-Boot at: 87fb8000
Reserving 192k for malloc() at: 87f88000
Reserving 44 Bytes for Board Info at: 87f87fd4
Reserving 36 Bytes for Global Data at: 87f87fb0
Reserving 128k for boot params() at: 87f67fb0
Stack Pointer at: 87f67f98
Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: 87fb8000
Flash Manuf Id 0xef, DeviceId0 0x40, DeviceId1 0x14
flash size 1MB, sector count = 16
Flash:  1 MB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Now starting pci_init process
pci_init_board: PCIe PLL not set for 40MHz refclk
BOARD IS NOT CALIBRATED!!!
pci_init finished

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   ag934x_enet_initialize...
No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
 wasp  reset mask:c02200
WASP ----> S27 PHY
s27 reg init
: cfg1 0x80000000 cfg2 0x7114
eth0: 00:03:7f:09:0b:ad
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_CONTROL 4 :1000
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_SPEC_STAUS 4 :12
eth0 up
WASP ----> S27 PHY
s27 reg init lan
ATHRS27: resetting s27
ATHRS27: s27 reset done
: cfg1 0x800c0000 cfg2 0x7214
eth1: 00:03:7f:09:0b:ad
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_CONTROL 0 :1000
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_SPEC_STAUS 0 :10
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_CONTROL 1 :1000
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_SPEC_STAUS 1 :10
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_CONTROL 2 :1000
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_SPEC_STAUS 2 :10
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_CONTROL 3 :1000
athrs27_phy_setup ATHR_PHY_SPEC_STAUS 3 :10
eth1 up
eth0, eth1
Atheros on-chip NAND FLash Controller Driver, Version 0.1 (c) 2010 Atheros Communications, Ltd.
Ath Nand ID[87fef17c]: 2c:48:00:26:89
ONFI MICRON      MT29F16G08ABABAWP
Micronset ns -0x80000-0x1000
====== NAND Parameters ======
sc = 0x87fef158 bbt = 0x87f98538 bbt_size = 0x400 nf_ctrl = 0x485
page = 0x1000 block = 0x80000 oob = 0xe0
size = 2048MB
Setting 0xb8116290 to 0x20402d0f
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

Loading from device 0: ath-nand (offset 0x0)
Booting image at: 0x81000000
   Image Name:   MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.18.36
   Created:      2016-08-23  10:49:13 UTC
   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma compressed)
   Data Size:    1965951 Bytes =  1.9 MB
   Load Address: 80060000
   Entry Point:  80060000
Uncompressing kernel image... OK!
No initrd
## Transferring control to Linux (at address 80060000) ...
## Giving linux memsize in bytes, 134217728

Starting kernel ...

[    0.000000] Linux version 3.18.36 (openwrt@152fe1ce56e2) (gcc version 4.8.3 (OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.04 r49403) ) #10 Tue Aug 23 10:48:54 UTC 2016
[    0.000000] bootconsole [early0] enabled
[    0.000000] CPU0 revision is: 0001974c (MIPS 74Kc)
[    0.000000] SoC: Atheros AR9344 rev 3
[    0.000000] Determined physical RAM map:
[    0.000000]  memory: 08000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
[    0.000000] Initrd not found or empty - disabling initrd
[    0.000000] Zone ranges:
[    0.000000]   Normal   [mem 0x00000000-0x07ffffff]
[    0.000000] Movable zone start for each node
[    0.000000] Early memory node ranges
[    0.000000]   node   0: [mem 0x00000000-0x07ffffff]
[    0.000000] Initmem setup node 0 [mem 0x00000000-0x07ffffff]
[    0.000000] Primary instruction cache 64kB, VIPT, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.
[    0.000000] Primary data cache 32kB, 4-way, VIPT, cache aliases, linesize 32 bytes
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 32512
[    0.000000] Kernel command line:  board=TETRA console=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=spi0.0:256k(u-boot)ro,256k(u-boot-env),256k(caldata),-(mb0);ar934x-nfc:2048k(kernel)                                                                          ,-(ubi) rootfstype=squashfs noinitrd
[    0.000000] PID hash table entries: 512 (order: -1, 2048 bytes)
[    0.000000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
[    0.000000] Writing ErrCtl register=00000000
[    0.000000] Readback ErrCtl register=00000000
[    0.000000] Memory: 125668K/131072K available (2730K kernel code, 131K rwdata, 576K rodata, 200K init, 187K bss, 5404K reserved)
[    0.000000] SLUB: HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] NR_IRQS:51
[    0.000000] Clocks: CPU:560.000MHz, DDR:400.000MHz, AHB:200.000MHz, Ref:40.000MHz
[    0.000000] Calibrating delay loop... 278.93 BogoMIPS (lpj=1394688)
[    0.070000] pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
[    0.070000] Mount-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.080000] Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.090000] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    0.090000] MIPS: machine is tetra
[    0.540000] registering PCI controller with io_map_base unset
[    0.550000] PCI host bridge to bus 0000:00
[    0.550000] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [mem 0x10000000-0x13ffffff]
[    0.560000] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [io  0x0000]
[    0.560000] pci_bus 0000:00: No busn resource found for root bus, will use [bus 00-ff]
[    0.570000] pci 0000:00:00.0: invalid calibration data
[    0.570000] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x10000000-0x1001ffff 64bit]
[    0.580000] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 6: assigned [mem 0x10020000-0x1002ffff pref]
[    0.580000] pci 0000:00:00.0: using irq 40 for pin 1
[    0.590000] Switched to clocksource MIPS
[    0.590000] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    0.600000] TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.600000] TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.610000] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
[    0.620000] TCP: reno registered
[    0.620000] UDP hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.630000] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.630000] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    0.640000] futex hash table entries: 256 (order: -1, 3072 bytes)
[    0.650000] squashfs: version 4.0 (2009/01/31) Phillip Lougher
[    0.660000] jffs2: version 2.2 (NAND) (SUMMARY) (LZMA) (RTIME) (CMODE_PRIORITY) (c) 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
[    0.680000] msgmni has been set to 245
[    0.690000] io scheduler noop registered
[    0.690000] io scheduler deadline registered (default)
[    0.700000] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 1 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[    0.710000] console [ttyS0] disabled
[    0.730000] serial8250.0: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x18020000 (irq = 11, base_baud = 2500000) is a 16550A
[    0.740000] console [ttyS0] enabled
[    0.740000] console [ttyS0] enabled
[    0.750000] bootconsole [early0] disabled
[    0.750000] bootconsole [early0] disabled
[    0.760000] m25p80 spi0.0: found s25fl008k, expected m25p80
[    0.760000] m25p80 spi0.0: s25fl008k (1024 Kbytes)
[    0.770000] 4 cmdlinepart partitions found on MTD device spi0.0
[    0.770000] Creating 4 MTD partitions on "spi0.0":
[    0.780000] 0x000000000000-0x000000040000 : "u-boot"
[    0.790000] 0x000000040000-0x000000080000 : "u-boot-env"
[    0.790000] 0x000000080000-0x0000000c0000 : "caldata"
[    0.800000] 0x0000000c0000-0x000000100000 : "mb0"
[    0.800000] nand: device found, Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0x48
[    0.810000] nand: Micron MT29F16G08ABABAWP 2GiB 3.3V 8-bit
[    0.820000] nand: 2048MiB, SLC, page size: 4096, OOB size: 224
[    0.820000] Scanning device for bad blocks
[    1.100000] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[    1.100000] 2 cmdlinepart partitions found on MTD device ar934x-nfc
[    1.110000] Creating 2 MTD partitions on "ar934x-nfc":
[    1.110000] 0x000000000000-0x000000200000 : "kernel"
[    1.120000] 0x000000200000-0x000080000000 : "ubi"
[    1.140000] libphy: ag71xx_mdio: probed
[    1.730000] ag71xx-mdio.1: Found an AR934X built-in switch
[    1.770000] eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xba000000, irq 5, mode:GMII
[    2.370000] ag71xx ag71xx.0: connected to PHY at ag71xx-mdio.1:04 [uid=004dd042, driver=Generic PHY]
[    2.380000] eth1: Atheros AG71xx at 0xb9000000, irq 4, mode:MII
[    2.380000] TCP: cubic registered
[    2.390000] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[    2.390000] bridge: automatic filtering via arp/ip/ip6tables has been deprecated. Update your scripts to load br_netfilter if you need this.
[    2.400000] 8021q: 802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8
[    2.410000] UBI: auto-attach mtd5
[    2.420000] UBI: attaching mtd5 to ubi0
[   15.030000] UBI: scanning is finished
[   15.060000] UBI: attached mtd5 (name "ubi", size 2046 MiB) to ubi0
[   15.060000] UBI: PEB size: 524288 bytes (512 KiB), LEB size: 516096 bytes
[   15.070000] UBI: min./max. I/O unit sizes: 4096/4096, sub-page size 4096
[   15.080000] UBI: VID header offset: 4096 (aligned 4096), data offset: 8192
[   15.080000] UBI: good PEBs: 4092, bad PEBs: 0, corrupted PEBs: 0
[   15.090000] UBI: user volume: 2, internal volumes: 1, max. volumes count: 128
[   15.100000] UBI: max/mean erase counter: 2/1, WL threshold: 4096, image sequence number: 409474240
[   15.110000] UBI: available PEBs: 0, total reserved PEBs: 4092, PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 80
[   15.120000] UBI: background thread "ubi_bgt0d" started, PID 242
[   15.120000] UBI: ubiblock0_0 created from ubi0:0(rootfs)
[   15.130000] ubiblock: device ubiblock0_0 (rootfs) set to be root filesystem
[   15.140000] VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly on device 254:0.
[   15.150000] Freeing unused kernel memory: 200K (803be000 - 803f0000)
[   16.700000] init: Console is alive
[   16.700000] init: - watchdog -
[   18.620000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[   18.620000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[   18.630000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[   18.680000] SCSI subsystem initialized
[   18.690000] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[   18.690000] ehci-platform: EHCI generic platform driver
[   18.700000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: EHCI Host Controller
[   18.710000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[   18.720000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: TX-TX IDP fix enabled
[   18.720000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
[   18.750000] ehci-platform ehci-platform: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[   18.750000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[   18.760000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[   18.760000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[   18.770000] ohci-platform: OHCI generic platform driver
[   18.780000] uhci_hcd: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
[   18.970000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   19.960000] init: - preinit -
Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level
[   24.610000] mount_root: loading kmods from internal overlay
[   25.130000] UBIFS: background thread "ubifs_bgt0_1" started, PID 354
[   25.440000] UBIFS: recovery needed
[   26.240000] UBIFS: recovery completed
[   26.250000] UBIFS: mounted UBI device 0, volume 1, name "rootfs_data"
[   26.260000] UBIFS: LEB size: 516096 bytes (504 KiB), min./max. I/O unit sizes: 4096 bytes/4096 bytes
[   26.260000] UBIFS: FS size: 2049417216 bytes (1954 MiB, 3971 LEBs), journal size 33546240 bytes (31 MiB, 65 LEBs)
[   26.270000] UBIFS: reserved for root: 4952683 bytes (4836 KiB)
[   26.280000] UBIFS: media format: w4/r0 (latest is w4/r0), UUID CAF692BB-6D28-4A3A-A966-6B1BA2BED9F5, small LPT model
[   26.290000] block: attempting to load /tmp/ubifs_cfg/upper/etc/config/fstab
[   26.320000] block: extroot: not configured
[   26.330000] UBIFS: un-mount UBI device 0, volume 1
[   26.330000] UBIFS: background thread "ubifs_bgt0_1" stops
[   26.350000] UBIFS: background thread "ubifs_bgt0_1" started, PID 357
[   27.250000] UBIFS: mounted UBI device 0, volume 1, name "rootfs_data"
[   27.260000] UBIFS: LEB size: 516096 bytes (504 KiB), min./max. I/O unit sizes: 4096 bytes/4096 bytes
[   27.270000] UBIFS: FS size: 2049417216 bytes (1954 MiB, 3971 LEBs), journal size 33546240 bytes (31 MiB, 65 LEBs)
[   27.280000] UBIFS: reserved for root: 4952683 bytes (4836 KiB)
[   27.290000] UBIFS: media format: w4/r0 (latest is w4/r0), UUID CAF692BB-6D28-4A3A-A966-6B1BA2BED9F5, small LPT model
[   27.310000] mount_root: loading kmods from internal overlay
[   27.540000] block: attempting to load /tmp/ubifs_cfg/upper/etc/config/fstab
[   27.560000] block: extroot: not configured
[   27.570000] mount_root: switching to jffs2 overlay
[   27.620000] procd: - early -
[   27.620000] procd: - watchdog -
[   28.420000] procd: - ubus -
[   29.430000] procd: - init -
Please press Enter to activate this console.
[   30.740000] Loading modules backported from Linux version v4.4-rc5-1913-gc8fdf68
[   30.750000] Backport generated by backports.git backports-20151218-0-g2f58d9d
[   30.880000] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9340 Rev:3 mem=0xb8100000, irq=47
[   30.890000] PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
[   31.150000] ieee80211 phy1: Atheros AR9300 Rev:4 mem=0xb0000000, irq=40
[   31.160000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
[   31.190000] RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
[   31.190000] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[   31.200000] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
[   31.200000] RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
[   31.220000] tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6
[   31.230000] tun: (C) 1999-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
[   31.250000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
[   31.270000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8187
[   31.290000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8192cu
[   31.320000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[   31.330000] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
[   31.340000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_wdm
[   31.360000] nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (1966 buckets, 7864 max)
[   31.390000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-alauda
[   31.390000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-cypress
[   31.400000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-datafab
[   31.410000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-freecom
[   31.420000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-isd200
[   31.430000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-jumpshot
[   31.430000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-karma
[   31.440000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-sddr09
[   31.450000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-sddr55
[   31.460000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ums-usbat
[   31.480000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[   31.480000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[   31.490000] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[   31.530000] xt_time: kernel timezone is -0000
[   31.540000] usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
[   31.550000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ax88179_178a
[   31.560000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[   31.570000] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[   31.600000] usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
[   31.600000] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for pl2303
[   31.620000] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
[   31.630000] NET: Registered protocol family 24
[   31.630000] usbcore: registered new interface driver qmi_wwan
[   31.640000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
[   31.650000] usbcore: registered new interface driver sierra_net
[   31.670000] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
[   31.670000] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
[   41.560000] device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
[   41.560000] br-lan: port 1(eth1) entered forwarding state
[   41.570000] br-lan: port 1(eth1) entered forwarding state
[   41.630000] br-lan: port 1(eth1) entered disabled state
[   44.410000] eth1: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
[   44.410000] br-lan: port 1(eth1) entered forwarding state
[   44.420000] br-lan: port 1(eth1) entered forwarding state
[   46.190000] device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
[   46.200000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   46.200000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   46.420000] br-lan: port 1(eth1) entered forwarding state

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Dec 22 2015 - 12:54:58)

DB120
DRAM:
sri
Wasp 1.3
wasp_ddr_initial_config(249): (32bit) ddr2 init
wasp_ddr_initial_config(426): Wasp ddr init done
Tap value selected = 0xf [0x0 - 0x1f]
128 MB
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 88000000
Reserving 276k for U-Boot at: 87fb8000
Reserving 192k for malloc() at: 87f88000
Reserving 44 Bytes for Board Info at: 87f87fd4
Reserving 36 Bytes for Global Data at: 87f87fb0
Reserving 128k for boot params() at: 87f67fb0
Stack Pointer at: 87f67f98
Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: 87fb8000
Flash Manuf Id 0xef, DeviceId0 0x40, DeviceId1 0x14
flash size 1MB, sector count = 16
"

###############################################

I then entered the failsave mode with F and Enter (here Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level)
Then used "firstboot" command and "yes" to confirm (y did not work for some reason, he then said Y is not a valid command??)
rebooted with "reboot" but it keeps looping and everytime when
"
[   46.420000] br-lan: port 1(eth1) entered forwarding state" 

happen it seems to "crash" without a notice and restart.

I switchted the Power Supply 3 Times (used a 5V 2 A, 13V 650A, 12V 2A) (used mine cause the Pinapple is not shipped with and EU Conform Power Supply or at least and Apapter for it, thanks for that anyway )

Is there something i´m Missing or is my Pineapple just broken? I´ve read that with the standard factory Fimware the Reset Button often dont work that good, is that still correct?
Cause i dont know why the Button dont works again, i pushed it only with my Finger and the Tip of a Pen and not very hard

Fuzzy90

• 2 weeks later...

I'm setting up a TETRA with a battery pack and a wifi hotspot. I want to use USB tethering with the hotspot to save power/for security, so I'm running power from the battery to ETH1. So, the configuration is:

Battery => TETRA <= USB hotspot

However the TETRA seems to think the ETH1 connection is it's network connection and completely ignores the tethered hotspot. I've verified this by using the 12V power adapter + USB tethering. How do I configure it to choose the USB connection before ETH1?

Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...

I just purchased a TETRA, and it arrived last Friday. Immediately upon hooking up and logging in to it, I noticed that it would randomly restart - plays dead IP wise, followed by no lights, yellow light, blue light, etc. Initial thought was power, though I was powering it from the included power brick. Tried a different 12 volt adapter, followed by dual USB with stiff 5 volt availability. Still random reboot. I sent the required email off to Hak5, and waited. Finally got the "gotta do a flash recovery" - even though it's brand new - "and let us know if it's still broken".

Ok, did that. Still has random reboots. I brought it in to my office yesterday, and in an effort not to unintentionally break things, powered it up with no antennas. Had it up for a while - much more than the few minutes I was getting before reboot at home. Then I put the rear antennas on to see what I could see? Still no reboot. Was up for a long time. Put the front antennas on, and boom - reboot. And now we are back to the vicious boot / crash cycle. I have an RF / EMI background, so I immediately thought it's nuking itself. Through experimentation that's been proven.

With no front antennas, it will boot and run for a long time. As soon as front antennas are put on, down she goes. Further experimentation shows that it will happen when adding the the front right antenna, and that antenna position affects whether or not it crashes. I have done some searches, and there's others that have had random reboots, and that has been attributed to inadequate power. Maybe they are experiencing the same issue as I am . Maybe they don't all do it - in fact that's likely, since there'd be screaming going on. Mine is definitely not liking being radiated by itself. below is a Onedrive link to some videos showing the box running with a ping flood going to it. Front antennas are folded away. When I move the antennas vertical, and move my hand around it - probably altering the RF field - you see the box stop responding, the light go yellow, and the serial console messages spill. I've provided  Hak5 a copy of what it spits out at crash and boot.

While I'm disappointed that I can do nothing with it yet,  this is not a "pound on Hak5" post. The box I got doesn't work, and I think maybe some other people have experienced this, so I figured get this out and have them try no front antenna, or maybe fold them away like in the video and see if it behaves the same way. It may not be "not enough power" in all cases.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al2OT6PFWa6IoxK2o8TH8BBK6W27

20 hours ago, Bob W said:

Put the front antennas on, and boom - reboot

This sounds vaguely familiar to me, I tried looking through my old posts to find it. I'm sure I remember helping someone having a similar issue - but they took it to the next step and pinpointed to a front left or right (I forget which) antenna. We assumed it was down to an amplifier issue but im not 100% sure what the resolution was. Obviously running it without antennas is not recommended but for a very short test it should be fine.

Your power supply might be inadequate.  Make sure that it is a quality supply which produces at least 2A of current.  Also, use a sturdy USB cable and, at least for diagnostic purposes a shorter one.

There might be other causes, but this would be the first thing I would check.  If the wall wart you are using doesn't put out enough current then reboots could happen. Similarly if the USB cable is too long or too narrow in gauge that could limit current at the Tetra's circuits.  If the radio is working harder, that would demand more current.  That could cause the CPU to stop working and then a reboot.

7 hours ago, Struthian said:

Your power supply might be inadequate.  Make sure that it is a quality supply which produces at least 2A of current.

Good thoughts, and I'd go with that idea, but I'm using the power supply included with the pineapple that's rated at 2 amps. In this case, USB isn't providing any power. When this happened the first time, there were not any USB connections to the box. My computer was connected via WiFi. In an effort to rule out any externally induced power issues, I've powered it from a bench power supply, and the reboots continue to be antenna position related. I've not opened it, but one thing that might be interesting is to apply some externally sourced RF to specific areas of the board and see if it can be determined what area triggers the reboot. Pictures of the internals I've seen are that the internal power converter is on the left rear side. There's also supposed to be shields over the radios. If they are present, I'd think maybe the internal switcher PS is getting lit up by the RF. Who knows. I got one that misbehaves. Oh Yay!

Got an email earlier today after opening a ticket last Friday that "we will be promptly sending a replacement" and that they have "assigned a customer service agent to this ticket". Said agent I've gotten nothing from, and now with Thanksgiving killing the rest of this week, "promptly" means sometime next week at the soonest. Really interesting device with useful capabilities - for those that got one that works. I got one that doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I got my TETRA 2 days ago an I have exactly the same problem. The device is locked in a reboot-loop an d cannot be configured. Seconds after the DHCP server comes up, the TETRA dies again. The LEDs go :

>Powerup<

- Solid range for 15sec

- Dark for 22sec,

- Blue blink for 20sec,

- Solif Blue for 27sec

>Reset<

I have tried to configure it with Linux, Win7 and Android. Nothing works.  But.... As soon as the front antennas are removed, the TETRA stays alive.  It's positively no problem with the power supply, Besides the one suppied by Hak5 I tried 3 other ones, the strongest was a lab supply with 32Amps@12V.

So whats the best I can do ? Send the TETRA back to Hak5 ?

Archived