General TETRA Discussion

Whistle Master

I recently built a new workshop which is around 500 feet behind my house. This is my first WiFi Pineapple, it is connected to a separate VLAN via an ethernet cable and it will remain in this configuration for the foreseeable future.  I own a few USB WiFi cards (AWUS036NEH, AWUS036NHV, and AWUS036NH) plus several antennas (16DB Yagi, 9db omni, 7db panel) I want to set it up for the best all around configuration but I have a few questions.

Do I have to add the antennas in pairs if I am just doing 2.4ghz?

Am I better off buying 2 or 3 more Yagi, omni and panel antennas and use them on the Pineapple, should I attach a USB WiFi dongle and add the extra antennas there or should I do a combination of both? I want to use PineAP and also airdump /aircrack

Does adding USB dongles give this setup any advantages if it's not being used to connect to an access point?

@bored369 like Darren said in one of the post. " Just because they put an output on the battery doesnt mean thats what it is. They can put 5v2.4a and it might only be 5v1a."  there is no regulation on this so for the most part buy batteries that are made by a trusted brand and if your worried about it test to see that its actually putting out that power.   I use 1 20100mah 5v3.4a and 1 22000mah 5v2.4a just to be safe.  

1 hour ago, b0N3z said:

@bored369 like Darren said in one of the post. " Just because they put an output on the battery doesnt mean thats what it is. They can put 5v2.4a and it might only be 5v1a."  there is no regulation on this so for the most part buy batteries that are made by a trusted brand and if your worried about it test to see that its actually putting out that power.   I use 1 20100mah 5v3.4a and 1 22000mah 5v2.4a just to be safe.  

Oh I know, that's why I use Anker batteries!  I've tested numerous different brands between my years of playing Ingress and more recently along side it Pokemon Go.  They are the only ones that consistently charge and allow me to continue playing at the same time with my phone.  

Even they however I don't fully expect to get the full amps they claim, because there's all kinds of variables that go into it.  If you get their highest amp output ones (claiming 4-6 amps out) though I've never had a problem running my Tetra on those.  Again I never rely on just one, multiple ones go to power the Tetra in my case, but that's more because I normally do full days worth of stuff with it.

*EDIT* I don't think I've ever had a laptop that puts out what the specs claim they should, heck my desktop needs a powered hub as well because they don't put out enough juice either.  Point being if you are relying on a computer port to power your Tetra, you're not going to get enough power with that alone.

Edited by bored369
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for your input :)

I would try the wall plug and yes also connect one usb cable from eth1usb to the pc.  That should hopefully fix your reboot problem.

I will try that. Just fyi though, I did not run PineAP simultaneously with Site Survey. What bugs me a bit is this

There was an entire thread about running the tetra from battery packs that they included on the initial shipment and it rebooting periodically.  

and this

@bored369 like Darren said in one of the post. " Just because they put an output on the battery doesnt mean thats what it is. They can put 5v2.4a and it might only be 5v1a." 

Did I misunderstand this, or do they sell and ship kits including battery packs designed for use with the pineapple and then those very packs do not provide sufficient power to actually run the hardware? The battery pack and backpack are from the kit are nice, but had I known this I would have only ordered the tetra by itself for a smaller price -.-

I ordered the basic tetra so I dont know what the output of the pineapple juice battery is so its hard to tell.  But this is why you buy batteries from reputable retailers.  Hak5 is dedicated to make sure that everything works together for simplicity, so I would highly doubt that the battery they sent you is underrated for the power it is suppose to put out.  The thread about the battery packs from from initial release when they realized it wasnt enough and Hak5 responded accordingly with everybody that had already bought one and fixed the issue right then.

10 hours ago, prankouskyy said:

Did I misunderstand this, or do they sell and ship kits including battery packs designed for use with the pineapple and then those very packs do not provide sufficient power to actually run the hardware? The battery pack and backpack are from the kit are nice, but had I known this I would have only ordered the tetra by itself for a smaller price -.-

The biggest fix they made was to include the plug, that should be providing more than enough power for it.  
The nice thing for me on tactical was the patches, but I see they've changed to the shoulder bag (which is nice i have one, but i do prefer the backpack i got on the initial release more though), and they gave you an Anker battery (that's awesome!!).  I'm not sure that one alone will power the Tetra, but it might with the powerIQ stuff and using both the plugs on the y-cable.  I'll do some testing and report back what I find since I have that model as well.

As long as the max output of amps from both ports on the battery =>4.8amps then it should be fine.

Ive had an issue where after shutting down my tetra, the red led stays flashing. Out of 3 shutdowns it has done this twice. I shut it down about an hour ago and the red light is still blinking.

Any advice on this issue, or is it safe to unplug it at this point?

Hello everyone, I am a little bit new to the WiFi Pineapple Tetra device and specially to the Hak5 Community :D but I am pretty interested in it and I want to get one.

However I have some problems. First of all I live in Lebanon hakshop doesn't ship this to my country, second of all hakshop only supports PayPal which also isn't supported in Lebanon. So in this case I started thinking of borderlinx (www.borderlinx.com) and this company provides the user a US address that I can ship the products to and later on ship to Lebanon and they also have a concierge service that can buy the product using PayPal.

This sounds like good and bad because well first of all this would definitely increase the overall price that I am going to pay, first to pay the shipment price for borderlinx to US address then the shipment price to Lebanon along with the custom fees and taxes and also pay the concierge fee (5% of the product price), well I don't care I'll pay whatever amount but I also checked on the hakshop website on the terms/policies page that they prohibit freight forwarding services? Does that mean that I can't user borderlinx? And in that case how in the world would I get my hands on this amazing product?

On the other hand, I wanna ask about the compatible and supported mobile hotspots. My Telco provider has the "Huawei 4G E5786Bs" Mobile Hotspot, but does it support USB Tethering? Is it compatible with Pineapple Tetra which essentially is based on OpenWRT which is Linux? Also I really didn't find much documentation and videos online.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have got my Tetra two days ago and have been struggling to get any client gets connected to it either with 2.4 or 5GHZ. Unfortunately none of them shows any clients connected. I only see SSIDS in pool with two Mac Address. I have ran Recon and got all the Mac Addresses added to the poll. Client Filtering is enabled and see those three Mac Addresses that I have selected. I have checked mark all the boxes under PinAP and save the PinAP setting and SSID Pool here shows the two network SSID. I have also updated the unit with the latest Firmware of 1.1.0 and no more updates is available either. What am I doing wrong and why cannot I see any client. By the way, I have reset the unit to Factor default at least 4 times and restarted everything and nothing works. In additions, I have the unit connected to the cable with 1GB speed WIFI. Of course if I remove that, then no internet connection. Please help me to figure it out or I may have to send this unit back.

Thanks,

are the clients you are trying to get connected to the Pineapple already connected to say your home wifi?  If your at home most likely your devices are connected to your home network which makes it hard to get them to connect and if you have never connected to an open AP with those devices then you wont get any clients on the pineapple.  PineAP takes advantage of the client connecting to an OpenAP and it being stored in their device.  PineAP wont grab clients with a password protected SSID, such as your home network.

Thanks for your response b0N3Z. Yes I am connected to my home network and trying to understand the entire process before I get connected to other network. Basically 

Here are the procedures that I followed and no result for getting any Clients connected:

First of all I am using a Laptop with Windows-10 Enterprise version installed on my laptop that I am performing these tasks. I also have Ubuntu on Virutal Box which also gave me the same result.

1. Reset the Tetra Wifi Pineapple to factor default
2. Connected the power AC to The unit
3. Connected the Micro-USB cable to ETH1 of the box and the other two USB to the laptop.
4.  Under network and sharing made sure the "Realtek USB FE Family Controller #2" is showing there. 
5. Assigned the IP Address of 172.16.42.42 with Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and DNS Server of 8.8.8.8 only.
6. Made sure also in my WIFI setting under Sharing I have added the new Wifi-Pineapple is set there.

At this time, I was able to log into 172.16.42.1:1471 URL and see the main menu of Wifi Pineapple. Then I followed the manual as well as checking the Video that Darren had regarding setup and getting a new client shows up on the system which was:

1. At first made sure that the version is updated to version 1.1.2 as the Firmware and there was no more upgrade available there. ( I had done this section before at the beginning when I got the unit and had the network RJ45 cable connected to the unit, but right now that cable is not connected. Only USB attachment is connected)

2. Under Networking for Wifi Client Mode I ran the Scan and got the unit connected to one of my WIFI Access Point which was 2.4GHZ speed. I was able to connect it one of my 5GHZ as well as 2.4GHZ two diffent time without any problem. It got connected and had an IP Address of 192.168.1.44 from my DHCP pool of IP Addresses. (By the way I am also usin "wlan0" that shows under MAC Address on the Networking page too.

3. Under Access point also made sure the Access Point Channel is set at 11, with SSID and Hide Open AP was also checked. No more changes there.

4. Now I went into PineAP and made sure that PineAP Daemon is enabled and all the boxes on the left are checked and then Save PineAP Settings.

5. After that, I went into Recon and selected 2.4GHZ mark and ran a SCAN. It completed 100% and showed me the list of all the SSIDs bt only the main SSID name and their MAC Address and no other PC or Laptops even though I had one Laptop that was connected to one of my 2.4GHZ network same as the one I chose up under Network. I then selected 5GHZ radion button and ran SCAN and same thing. Just the main SSID but no PC or even my IPHONE which was on 5GHZ speed as well as other PC which did not show anything.

6. I went into Client Filtering and manually added the Mac Address of one Laptop on 2.4GHZ and one PC on 5GHZ as well as made sure the SSID Filtering shows those SSID from my WIFI unit and both section has "ALlow Mode" on.

Now when I go into Dashboard, all I see only 2-SSID pool. One is my 5GHZ and one is 2.4GHZ and that is it. No Client is connected at all. I even turned off the Wifi on my phone and the laptop and turned them back on to see if they can get connected to this unit but nothing happed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 10:27 PM, b0N3z said:

I suggest picking up one or two of these usb power monitors. I love mine

https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3-20V-Monitor-SmartCharge-Technology/dp/B01CVMAK2M

For some reason my barrel port stopped working. I've tried three different chargers. The one that I was using when it went out had a little light on the front when there was power running through it and it stopped lighting up.  Is there any way to debug it via CLI? Daisy chained batteries works but I feel wife judging my Box-o-Batteries tetra setup as I lug it to-and-fro about the property. 

She called me out last week after walking in on me sitting on the bedroom floor surrounded by piles of wifi peripherals, playing out various dongle-adapter combinations. She laughed pointing out I looked like an 8 year old girl dressing up her dolls.

Edited by Spoonish

16 minutes ago, Spoonish said:

For some reason my barrel port stopped working. I've tried three different chargers. The one that I was using when it went out had a little light on the front when there was power running through it and it stopped lighting up.  Is there any way to debug it via CLI? Daisy chained batteries works but I feel wife judging my Box-o-Batteries tetra setup as I lug it to-and-fro about the property. 

She called me out last week after walking in on me sitting on the bedroom floor surrounded by piles of wifi peripherals, playing out various dongle-adapter combinations. She laughed pointing out I looked like an 8 year old girl dressing up her dolls.

my kitchen table looks like that but it also has a full desktop pc under it and a 40 in display mounted on the wall,  it doubles as a good desk lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if there is a way to make modules such as dump1090 run on startup of the pineapple. So i could power it up let it stand and not have to log into it to start the module.

Thanks,
kpeezy

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 8:29 PM, Thisguy said:

Ive had an issue where after shutting down my tetra, the red led stays flashing. Out of 3 shutdowns it has done this twice. I shut it down about an hour ago and the red light is still blinking.

Any advice on this issue, or is it safe to unplug it at this point?

Mine does the same, even after I stop the recon!.. any idea?.. 

Thanks,

WCP

On 7/3/2017 at 2:18 PM, kpeezy said:

Just wondering if there is a way to make modules such as dump1090 run on startup of the pineapple. So i could power it up let it stand and not have to log into it to start the module.

Thanks,
kpeezy

Don't know if this is the correct way or even if it works but I imagine creating an Creating a cron job calling an API linked with said module.

Again, not sure if this is how that works but Cron+API+module=success ..?

Edited by Spoonish
Fat fingers
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 4:45 PM, Spoonish said:

Don't know if this is the correct way or even if it works but I imagine creating an Creating a cron job calling an API linked with said module.

Again, not sure if this is how that works but Cron+API+module=success ..?

Thank you, ill give that a try!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trying to use Tetra on a System76 laptop running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Ive downloaded the update software using Chrome version 59.0.3071.115 and Im trying to connect to my Pineapple using 17.16.42.1:1471 and I keep getting a timed out error message, any idea what could be the issue.  I do not have a firewall and my proxy is turned off.

• 3 weeks later...

hello. I am a new user to the PA. I did have it working. then changed a few settings.  did a factory reboot.   now i am still having the same problem.

I got the pineAP all check marked. Daemon as  well  and its 3 boxes checked. 

took my target device. connected to the ssid that is cloned in the ssidpool manually. still nothing, acting like their is no connection.

only note i can say is, the bulletins do load when i hit check. laptop and tetra is hooked up with 2 different cat6. not like internet is being used vie usb.

sad part is. i have not successfully manipulated my own device. even when i connect to the PA, my noobie skills show off as I cant even get an easy user name and passwork.

if there is any videos out there. plz let me know.

thanks. from the noobie