General NANO Discussion

Whistle Master

Hi @Dedsec_Nethunter

1)Providing the drivers are installed . Go to "Networking" then look for "Wifi Client Mode" Select the Interface ( the third radio should be wlan2 or wlan 3) then click "scan". 

At that point connect to the wifi hotspot you want to use ( enter the password) and hit "connect". 

You will know if you are connected as you will then see an ip address in Wifi Client mode. 

2) Once connected, then look above that tab and you'll see Route. You just need to define the default route for that Wifi ..Put in the gateway ip select the adaper ( wlan2 or wlan3) then hit update route . You should then see the default route table update with the newly added ip of your gateway and voila :)

Regards

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the Tactical Nano Elite and I've configured my wifi pineapple AP management SSID for wireless management. I've noticed once it boots up using the anker or direct with the Y dongle cable... it keeps the configurations provided. But once you power on the WP (wife pineapple),  it doesn't allow me to connect via wifi for management. What I had to do is... I have to connect the device via usb tether with my tablet and re-apply the network settings for AP management. Once I've updated the Network settings, only then I am able to connect to the device wireless to manage my WP device with either a laptop, phone or tablet. Why is that? Why do I have to constantly tether my device and re-apply the AP Management settings when the device is powered on? I thought it should be automated. Is there something I'm missing? 

On 26/06/2017 at 3:55 PM, m0nk666 said:

Hi @Dedsec_Nethunter

1)Providing the drivers are installed . Go to "Networking" then look for "Wifi Client Mode" Select the Interface ( the third radio should be wlan2 or wlan 3) then click "scan". 

At that point connect to the wifi hotspot you want to use ( enter the password) and hit "connect". 

You will know if you are connected as you will then see an ip address in Wifi Client mode. 

2) Once connected, then look above that tab and you'll see Route. You just need to define the default route for that Wifi ..Put in the gateway ip select the adaper ( wlan2 or wlan3) then hit update route . You should then see the default route table update with the newly added ip of your gateway and voila :)

Regards

Hi @m0nk666,

Sorry for late answer.

Thanks you very much bro,it works!!

I hope i can help you in my turn one day if you need help ;)

Regards.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:02 PM, anark1 said:

going to get a nano, any rumors of a new version coming or perhaps a new firmware soon?

just wanting to see if i should wait or buy now?

there is no time like the present to get your feet wet. In the event something better comes out after you get a nano, you will be already more prepared for it based on your experience with the nano

From what hak5 has said, even if a newer device is going to come out in 6 months, they wont tell you that because of the release.  As of now the nano and tetra are the best on the block and they are awesome.  New firmware will come out and thats just a simple update.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, maara said:

When reading the last post - any idea if some update is planned for nano / tetra? - its been a while since the last release (almost a year)... It would be shame to let these devices die due to lack of support.... :(

@Sebkinne has said they are currently working on a new firmware update but no ETA on when it will be released.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all...I purchased my Nano about a month ago...I have a question about the Anker power supply that came with it...it has a button on it but that seems to only be to display status when it is not connected to anything?  I am wondering is there a way to turn it off while it is connected to save juice in some situations or is the only way to just unplug it?  Thanks!  Looking forward to getting further into this.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WaterRide said:

Q: I received my Nano today but what's the right program to install the .bin file?

Best to use the nano itself. Get the nano online using client mode in networking page for example. Confirm your online by hitting the bulletins button on the dashboard. Then go to Advanced tab and hit the "check for upgrades" button and it should do the rest for you - it will reboot and wipe stuff so be sure to back up anything you want to keep.

Its also good to check out the wiki for this and other details.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello. I just purchaced a new NANO and I am absolutely happy with it. My problem is that I cannot connect to the configuration UI(http://172.16.42.1:1471/) when the router is not connected to a computer using the Y cable... is this always this way? Is there a way to connect to the UI via WIFI. I am thinking about carrying it around, go to my favorite Starbucks and have it connected to the public wifi so I can use it as an access point with my VPN for my phone. I do not want to also carry my windows computer around to connect the router with the Y cable each time I need to hook to a new wifi. What am I doing wrong?

Another silly question: I have a VPS with Openvpn running. I can make my NANO direct all the traffic through my VPN by SSH'ing into the NANO and running openvpn client.ovpn, and then updating the IP tables with three commands. I have to do this manually and -even worse!- I have to leave the SSH sessions open to keep the router working properly with the VPN I need to take my router elsewhere, and I only have my Nexus 5 to go with it. I need a way to run the openvpn client.ovpn and three IPTABLES commands and leave them 'alive' in the router without having to keep it connected to my PC (there will be no 'my PC' in the outside world) . How do I accomplish this?

11 minutes ago, Alexander_9 said:

Another silly question: I have a VPS with Openvpn running. I can make my NANO direct all the traffic through my VPN by SSH'ing into the NANO and running openvpn client.ovpn, and then updating the IP tables with three commands. I have to do this manually and -even worse!- I have to leave the SSH sessions open to keep the router working properly with the VPN I need to take my router elsewhere, and I only have my Nexus 5 to go with it. I need a way to run the openvpn client.ovpn and three IPTABLES commands and leave them 'alive' in the router without having to keep it connected to my PC (there will be no 'my PC' in the outside world) . How do I accomplish this?

Maybe script the openVPN commands, and look into using screen to drop and resume closed/dropped ssh sessions.

2 hours ago, Alexander_9 said:

Is there a way to connect to the UI via WIFI

Yes, when you did the initial configuration you set up a management wifi network with password. Connect to this network and browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471 as uaual.

2 minutes ago, Alexander_9 said:

Thank you, JAU! How do I use the screen to resume the closed/dropped ssh sessions from my Nexus 5?

Screen is run on the pineapple. On your Nexus 5 you just need an android ssh terminal app.

I googled a guide for you https://research.computing.yale.edu/support/hpc/user-guide/preserve-session-screen  There are probably better ones if you look for yourself.

1 hour ago, Alexander_9 said:

Another question: I keep trying to change the timezone to mine: pacific; I apply, save, reboot, and the NANO keeps changing the time zone to Europe. How can I fix this?

Check again on a terminal using

date

Hitting refresh on the Configuration page, after setting timezones selection returns to the default UTC+0000, though it has changed on the Pineapple.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2016 at 6:41 PM, skib said:

My Issue no. 3: I cannot set Client PineAP filter entries from MACs from Scan results on the Recon page. They never appear in the Clients window on the Filters page.

My Issue no 4: I am unable to redirect a web browser to the Landing Page. On the Landing Page I have written a short sentence to be shown on the connected browser. When I enable the Landing Page, the message "404 Not Found, nginx 1.4.7" is shown on the connected browser.

My Issue no. 5 - and counting:

After having installed a few Modules, I also have several issues with them.

I also tried to uninstall/remove some modules, and to Update some, but NOTHING seemed to work (!)

So at this stage I am giving up - for now.

I realize that the Nano is far from a finished product, but rather something that requires a lot of debugging and fixing.

Debugging would be an exciting task - for those who have time to spare - but I am not one of them.

Still - I would like to follow the discussions here, and continue working with the Nano at a later stage - when it has matured a little.

(But I must say that I am a little bit SCARED of the low level of things. How can anyone send something like this - obviously as little tested as this - onto the "market"?)

I am using a Nano with Firmware version 1.0.5 and the Android WiFiPineapple App.

I have a dmesg output - taken after the Pineapple lost connectivity - but I don't know how/where to post/send it. Please advice.

Skib

Did you ever find out why you were not able to add clients from your scans to filters