Nano stops working after a few min

Johnmalca

I can get the nano up an running, turn on pine ap with all the boxes checked, can get my iphone to hook up as a client and can change splash page etc etc.. but on multiple computers i have tried the nano and it, sometimes after 5 min, sometimes 10 or 15 but never longer than that, will just stop working. If i try to recon scan it just freezes at 100% and if i try navigating to the dashboard all the boxes are blank and basically it all becomes unresponsive until reboot. I have tried factory reset multiple times and uploading the latest firmware again and it still happens. Anyone else having this problem or did i receive a dud? basically is okay if i can get the info i need in a couple min, but if i want to scan continuously or set up any of the modules then its pretty useless

There have been one or two reports of this, not sure what the resolution or actual issue was though.

Are you able to ssh into it when it hangs on recon and get the dmesg output and post it? Also posting some extra details about your setup like browsers you are using, if you are connecting over wifi or the usb ethernet, what os you are using, if you are running ICS or not, how you are powering the nano, any devices (like wifi adapter or phone) hooked up, etc would all be helpful in tracking down the issue.

You can also try emailing shop@hak5.org and copy support@hak5.org with any logs and as much supporting detail about your setup and issue as possible. Have patience as they probably have a lot going on with the tetra shipment just going out and they are a small crew, but they make up for it ten fold in standing behind their products so I'm sure you'll get sorted out.

There have been one or two reports of this, not sure what the resolution or actual issue was though.

Are you able to ssh into it when it hangs on recon and get the dmesg output and post it? Also posting some extra details about your setup like browsers you are using, if you are connecting over wifi or the usb ethernet, what os you are using, if you are running ICS or not, how you are powering the nano, any devices (like wifi adapter or phone) hooked up, etc would all be helpful in tracking down the issue.

You can also try emailing shop@hak5.org and copy support@hak5.org with any logs and as much supporting detail about your setup and issue as possible. Have patience as they probably have a lot going on with the tetra shipment just going out and they are a small crew, but they make up for it ten fold in standing behind their products so I'm sure you'll get sorted out.

Thanks for your response man. I have seen another thread that started to address this where some people had the same problem but didnt see any answers and it was off topic so i wanted to start my own thread since people are having the same issue.

Im actually half noob, half not - but I dont know how to SSH into it when it hangs. Ive just been using chrome (but have tried firefox too) using the GUI to control it. Im connecting via the usb cable and my computer has internet through lan cable and sharing the lan connection with the pineapple to give clients access to internet. Nothing else is hooked up to the device. Its pretty frustrating because I can get it all working, get a client on and start spoofing dns and everything, but after a couple min it just freezes up and everything is unresponsive and then shortly after that i cant even load the different pages so i have to unplug and replug to start all over. The even more frustrating part is that im living overseas so getting a replacement would mean crazy shipping fees or waiting for people to help bring it back and get a replacement sent so hopefully its not a hardware issue.

I have seen another thread that started to address this where some people had the same problem but didnt see any answers and it was off topic so i wanted to start my own thread since people are having the same issue.

Apparently this is my last post until my notarobot ban is lifted so hopefully people can shed some light on this as i have someone breathing down my neck for why i got him to drop 100$ and have no results yet

Totally understand the hak5 guys are busy with lots of people's problems so ill try to be patient, not doubting that they care or anything. Its a huge forum

No worries, it can for sure be frustrating when something doesn't work as you expect it to. Being overseas makes it bad, but even worse when it's not your $ on the line. Just a disclaimer I'm a no expert by any means but I'll see what I can do to help at least.

The first thing I would make sure of is: is it getting enough power? That would be the first thing I would jump to if it works great for a bit until you start doing stuff on it. It will boot and run off .5 A (normal output of a usb port) but it's spec'ed at 1.5 A so if you are using the y-cable, make sure you have both the male ends plugged into the the system to ensure it's getting enough power. Also good to note that if it's a desktop front usb are normally junk and you'll want to hook it up to the back. Possibly even try a powered usb hub or a battery pack you know is capable of 2 A output would be good alternative as well.

For SSH you'll want to get a program called Putty if you are Windows, otherwise it's built into Linux and OS X (i believe, not a mac person so not sure on that point). On windows you'll use Putty and just enter the address of 172.16.42.1 port of 22 and then just open, log in with user "root" and password you defined in setup. For linux/mac at a console just type in "ssh root@172.16.42.1" then login with the password you defined at setup.

From there you can just type "dmesg" and copy/paste your output here. I'd probably first try getting the Nano setup and connection sharing with your system first, then SSH into it, then do your normal web GUI stuff until it becomes unresponsive then check out the ssh connection and see if you can enter the dmesg command and get an output.

There's some other log files you may want to check/grab as well. I'll have to look around on my nano and in the forums to see if I can figure out what those are, but I'll report back here when I know more about that end.

Seems like I'm having the same issue.

I just tried to power the nano with my Juice 15000, using the 2.1a port, because I don't trust the USB ports on this laptop. But the same thing happens, the pineapple just seems to hang after a few mins. I haven't tried a factory reset yet, that's the next step.

Also I've been watching my USB voltage/amperage meter, the highest amperage I've seen is around 0.7-0.8amps and that's while PineAP is running. Regardless of the power source.

I'm going to factory reset and if the same thing happens, I'll SSH in and post the dmesg output

So after I factory reset my nano everything has been running smooth. I've been up and running recon scans and PineAP for nearly an hour with no problems.

I haven't re-installed any modules yet though. The problems seemed to have started after attempting an install of the nmap module, now that I think about it.

I'll slowly work through some modules and see if the original problem re-surfaces

:cool:

I may have installed nmap to the local storage by accident. I remember installing everything to my SD card except one module because I missed clicked or wasn't paying attention.

Would just that one module be too large for the internal storage to handle? Just curious, I obviously planned on keeping the modules on the SD card.

Last night I got a number of modules up and working fine but was hesitant to try nmap again. In a couple hours I'll install it and the dependencies to my SD card and see what happens

I'll report back, I've read some people are having a few issues with nmap

Thanks for your reply Darren

Ive tried factory reset and took the sd card out and didnt install any modules and it works for as long as i want doing the recon scans until i check the beacon response box (also using any modules too). Ill play around with the power issue idea and report back

Nope the power isnt the issue - plugged one usb into my laptop and another into a 6a max outlet and it still froze up during a scan with beacon enabled. It worked for about 25 min this morning with everything enabled and actually picked up a random client so i got url snarf and left that running awhile but then it froze like normal after maybe 20 min. Sometimes it wont freeze, it just all of a sudden wont show any clients when 15 sec before it showed 8 clients on a network which obviously is wrong because im making sure to use some of those devices during that time. If i unplug and plug back in and boot it back up all the clients are back so.. not sure whats going on

I currently have my phone on a spoofed wifi network and am using urlsnarf to watch my web traffic but when i run the recon on my computer it shows a couple AP's but doesnt show any clients at all.. even though obviously my phone is connected (not to mention several other devices I know are too and are being used currently). If i go to the clients page it will show my phone as the one client connected but the recon scan isnt showing anything other than the 4 ap's in the area.

I got the same problem:
-> If I added a few networks to the pool and whitelisted these networks (allow mode) to spoof some networks. If I do a recon a few times, the wifi networks disappear (not visible anymore by other devices)+Recon is stuck on 100%.
I don't know if this is related (I don't want to hijack this thread, if you think I do, send me a PM and I start a new thread and remove my post here).
Details:
-> browser: chrome, firefox and safari.
-> internet connection shared via wifi client mode (which is not recommend I know), but I also tested via usb tethering (Kali in a VM) on mac. Then I tested it on my oneplus one phone with kali on it to share internet via the phone's wifi. I also tested it on a windows computer, same issues.

Which commands do I have to run when this happens (over ssh)?
I will post the output here

The problem started when I added a few networks to the pool and whitelisted these networks (allow mode) to spoof some networks. If I do a recon a few times, the wifi networks will disappear (not visible anymore by other devices)+Recon is stuck on 100%.

I don't know if this is related to software or hardware.
Details:
-> internet connection shared via wifi client mode (which is not recommend I know), but I also tested via usb tethering (Kali in a VM) on mac. Then I tested it on my oneplus one phone with kali on it to share internet via the phone's wifi. I also tested it on a windows computer, same issues.

Will this be solved by a firmware update?

Still having the same problems - still working until i turn on beacon response and then it stops working after usually a few min. Guess that means that antenna has a problem Im guessing? Ive tried so many different troubleshooting methods and different configurations of turning this and that off and on to try and narrow down what the problem is and thats my best guess but please someone chime in with any other ideas

Still having the same problems - still working until i turn on beacon response and then it stops working after usually a few min. Guess that means that antenna has a problem Im guessing? Ive tried so many different troubleshooting methods and different configurations of turning this and that off and on to try and narrow down what the problem is and thats my best guess but please someone chime in with any other ideas

I feel the pain! I also tried a lot. But nobody replies here on this damn forum.

Okay this is dumb, i shouldnt have to wait around for weeks to get this stupid thing to work like its supposed to. Im emailing hak5 for a replacement and want to warn anyone thinking about ordering that there seems to be a lot of defective units being circulated and advise you to wait to purchase until they work out all the problems because now have to go through the whole return process from overseas.. -_-

Johnmalca -

I understand your frustration and I sympathize. The device should be working properly out of the box. Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce the symptoms you've outlined above with the limited information provided. I've had my NANO up for weeks at a time without issue so I know it's possible to run for more than 15 minutes without freezing.

How are you connected to the NANO? Over WiFi or USB Ethernet? What host OS? Network manager? I'd like to rule out any network connection drop.

You say it freezes -- can you be more specific? Do you lose web connection? SSH connection? Can you ping the device? Are you still on its 172.16.42.x network? Do you receive any errors in dmesg on either the NANO or host computer?

Can you describe step by step what you are doing and what you are expecting to happen before it freezes?

We're here to help and I assure you the NANO is absolutely capable to operating in the manner we have shown. I'd like to get you having the same good experience I have.

While I'm not ruling out the possibility of a hardware issue - we have had a less than 0.2% failure rate so it is extremely rare - and of the units we have had returned, the majority of them have been recovered with a factory restore and tested with our baseline Ubuntu machine.

We've spent over a year developing the 6th generation platform with rigorous testing throughout and while we cannot test under every possible computer and network configuration out there - we are confident in its abilities.

Johnmalca -

I understand your frustration and I sympathize. The device should be working properly out of the box. Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce the symptoms you've outlined above with the limited information provided. I've had my NANO up for weeks at a time without issue so I know it's possible to run for more than 15 minutes without freezing.

How are you connected to the NANO? Over WiFi or USB Ethernet? What host OS? Network manager? I'd like to rule out any network connection drop.

You say it freezes -- can you be more specific? Do you lose web connection? SSH connection? Can you ping the device? Are you still on its 172.16.42.x network? Do you receive any errors in dmesg on either the NANO or host computer?

Can you describe step by step what you are doing and what you are expecting to happen before it freezes?

We're here to help and I assure you the NANO is absolutely capable to operating in the manner we have shown. I'd like to get you having the same good experience I have.

While I'm not ruling out the possibility of a hardware issue - we have had a less than 0.2% failure rate so it is extremely rare - and of the units we have had returned, the majority of them have been recovered with a factory restore and tested with our baseline Ubuntu machine.

We've spent over a year developing the 6th generation platform with rigorous testing throughout and while we cannot test under every possible computer and network configuration out there - we are confident in its abilities.

Thanks for the reply darren - I'd rather figure it out and not have to send it back because realistically it would take months waiting for someone to come visit me here overseas, have them bring the unit back and wait for someone else to bring back a replacement so i appreciate you helping to troubleshoot

Ill try to be as detailed as possible:

• Im using a windows 7 laptop with an ethernet connection
  • The nano is connected to my laptop using the provided dual usb connector into two of my usb3 ports.
  • It powers on just fine and can log in every time through the 172.16 network through mozilla or chrome
  • I go to the dashboard and see the bulletins to confirm I have internet access through the nano. No modules running (modules are installed on sd card fyi)
  • i go to the pine ap tab and have the daemon off and only the first three checkboxes marked (allow assos, and log both)
  • I go to the recon tab and do some continuous searches of clients and ap's, and have results for multiple networks with clients on a few of them so everything is working as expected so far. I let this run for 5 min on 15 sec continuous to make sure it continues to work and it does
  • I go back to pine ap tab and switch on the daemon but dont check any more boxes in an attempt to go step by step to narrow down the cause of the problem. Now run the recon scan again for 5 min on 15 sec intervals
  • All is fine so i go back and check the beacon response and broadcast ssid pool and add one fake ssid in (free wifi) and run the same recon
  • Recon runs for a few min and the fake ap picks up my phone on the free wifi network, so now we have one client connected. I open the client tab in a new window and verify my phone is now a client. I switch back over to the recon view still running and it is stuck at 100%. I wait a couple min but nothing changes, its still at 100% even though the interval is 15 sec like it was before. The pineapple is now basically hanging or unresponsive or something.
  • I try going back to the dashboard but now the boxes are blank where the client count and runtime and ssid pool numbers should be
  • After about a minute now I cannot even switch in between tabs (dash, recon, etc), clicking on them just doesnt work, its now completely frozen. The tabs with the menu (recon, dash etc) is still there but the rest of the page is blank and clicking on anything doesnt work. The pineapple still has the blue light on and the rest of my computer works and is connected to internet just as before.
  • I ssh into it using putty, log in, and dmesg returns this: http://pastebin.com/5mjuNT86

thanks for your help in troubleshooting - been spending so much time trying to fix it and hope youre able to figure it out. Ive never had a pineapple before but Ive watched all the videos and am pretty clear on how its supposed to work - ive gotten as far as getting clients, using urlsnarf to watch website activity from the clients, deauth clients, etc.

Johnmalca -

Can you look into this?:

I'm also getting impatient with the poor/no support.

http://pastebin.com/EnzYaGDu

http://pastebin.com/FeM1gwRE

-> If I added a few networks to the pool and whitelisted these networks (allow mode) to spoof some networks. If I do a recon a few times, the wifi networks disappear (not visible anymore by other devices)+Recon is stuck on 100%.

I don't know if this is related (I don't want to hijack this thread, if you think I do, send me a PM and I start a new thread and remove my post here).
Details:

Which commands do I have to run when this happens (over ssh)?

Here is some output:

http://pastebin.com/EnzYaGDu

http://pastebin.com/FeM1gwRE

Just got a replacement nano in the mail overnighted to me, they didnt say they were sending that before me even sending my defective unit back so ill have to take back my last post. I wont get to test it till someone delivers it to me overseas in a couple weeks but will post back when i test it. Thanks in the meantime and if something comes up in analyzing my output i pastebinned in a prior post please let me know, especially since other people are having the same problem

Archived