Help steer me in the right direction please

sg24usmc

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to coding and networking and the HAK5 products. I was wondering if any one had any book recommendations, or could tell me what specific areas of study would benefit me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Interested in how routers, APs, Modems, etc tie together through networking and how to interface the devices to flash them and also how to interface and use them.

Thanks

I would suggest taking some computer networking courses or finding books that cover the basics first.

If you are unfamiliar with how computers work, core components, etc. I would start there. You can try and find some CompTIA A+ or N+ certification prep books that would help for a start.

Get very familiar with the OSI model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

A quick search for "Introduction to computer networking" came up with the below link. It may be overwhelming for a introduction book I feel.

http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/

On replacing device firmware, this is typically very device-specific and involves overwriting a chunk of device memory. You're going to want to read up on u-boot for what a device expects where within the boot sequence so you understand why the binary file is formatted the way it is.

Note that recently people are looking more at securing over-the-air firmware upgrades, meaning that the binary blobs that get written to the hardware will more and more typically be cryptographically signed at the least and outright encrypted at the worst, making it harder to fiddle with them.