problems after 1.0.5 firmware update

j4rv1s

I just updated my pineAp firmware to the latest 1.0.5 .. well i already encountered some problems after this update like the "ssid pool" that doesn't show anymore all the nearby AP ssid's . Even if i try to add them manually to the pool it doesn't work, the pool keep being empty.

Another problem is uninstalling modules, when i go to "manage modules" and click the "remove" button it doesn't work at all.. i keep having my module installed.

the third problem is the "Access Points" box in the "Networking" section, sometimes when i change the Open Ap Name and refresh the page i still get the default Open AP name.

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware to the 1.0.3? or maybe a way to factory reset my pineAP?

Everything worked like a charm in the 1.0.3 firmware but after 1.0.4 i found several problems..

You can reset the NANO by holding the reset button on the back for a few seconds. I've done this a couple times and it seems to flash it but it doesn't take me back to an earlier firmware version. If the reset button doesn't work then SSH into it and enter the following command:

jffs2reset -y && reboot
  • Upvote 1

Connect pressing reset button then assing thIs ip 192.168.1.2 and netmask 255.255.255.0 and go tO web browser with thIs ip 192.168.1.1 and up load the bin you want and wait go finish the upload and flash then go normally 172.16.42.1:1471 and config

Ps sorry for my bad english

Connect pressing reset button then assing thIs ip 192.168.1.2 and netmask 255.255.255.0 and go tO web browser with thIs ip 192.168.1.1 and up load the bin you want and wait go finish the upload and flash then go normally 172.16.42.1:1471 and config

Ps sorry for my bad english

I understand English isn't your first language but this was nowhere near a correct answer. While one could manually upgrade by downloading the bin file the only one available is the latest at wifipineapple.com. In this case j4rv1s wants to downgrade.

Also, if you set the IP as 192.168.1.2 why would you upload the .bin to 192.168.1.1?

Connect pressing reset button then assing thIs ip 192.168.1.2 and netmask 255.255.255.0 and go tO web browser with thIs ip 192.168.1.1 and up load the bin you want

192.168.1.2 ip address, 255.255.255.0 masknet, 192.168.1.1 gateway or router ip

You can download any bin by modify the url as www.wifipineapple.com/nano/upgrades/1.0.3 or 1.04 etc

My point remains, you would not push the Pineapple firmware to your router. Only to the Pineapple at 192.168.1.2.

Edited by sud0nick

well this is mi last post im limited to only 3 per day i don't know why..

router ip i referrer to pineapple as router

try it really works

1.- download the bin by the way i say to get the version you want (www.wifipineapple.com/nano/upgrades/1.0.3 or 1.0.4 etc)
2.- disconnect from internet ( wifi, ethernet or any connection)

3.- connect the nano pressing reset button for 10 sec ( when is recognized you see with an ip as 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and net mask 255.255.0.0)

4.- change the ip manually 192.168.1.2 and netmask 255.255.255.0

5.- open web browser and put 192.168.1.1 (you see an upgrade page by PA nano)

6.- click browser find the bin you download

7.- click upgrade and wait

when finish the upgrade PA reboot and has 172.16.42.42 as ip an you can go to web browser with that ip and por 1471 normally a setup all as new

if you go to advanced yo can see version you put in this case downgraded

1.- download the bin by the way i say to get the version you want (www.wifipineapple.com/nano/upgrades/1.0.3 or 1.0.4 etc)

2.- disconnect from internet ( wifi, ethernet or any connection)

3.- connect the nano pressing reset button for 10 sec

Yes.

4.- change the ip manually 192.168.1.2 and netmask 255.255.255.0

5.- open web browser and put 192.168.1.1 (you see an upgrade page by PA nano)

No. You would not set the IP of the Pineapple to 192.168.1.2 and THEN push the firmware upgrade to your home router at 192.168.1.1. Unless if I'm completely misunderstanding what you are saying.

Your first point does solve the problem about downgrading the firmware, though. If you access wifipineapple.com/nano/upgrades/$ver where $ver == 1.0.3 or some other version it will start the download.

Edited by sud0nick

No. You would not set the IP of the Pineapple to 192.168.1.2 and THEN push the firmware upgrade to your home router at 192.168.1.1. Unless if I'm completely misunderstanding what you are saying.

You are. In the Recovery mode you set your Pineapple facing interface to 192.168.1.2, and navigate the recovery interface running on the pineapple, at 192.168.1.1.

• Upvote 1

You are. In the Recovery mode you set your Pineapple facing interface to 192.168.1.2, and navigate the recovery interface running on the pineapple, at 192.168.1.1.

This is where the confusion was. It sounded like he said you set the IP of the Pineapple to 192.168.1.2 on your home network and navigate to 192.168.1.1 which would make no sense.

I honestly don't know. I've read some other threads where people state they reset their NANO and it went back to the 1.0 firmware but mine has not done that when I reset it using both methods I stated before.

Ohhhh you mean how like the wifi pineapple connector app for android doesn't work on my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet but for other people it works for their tablet?

You mean that kinda scenario?

Ohhhh you mean how like the wifi pineapple connector app for android doesn't work on my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet but for other people it works for their tablet?

You mean that kinda scenario?

No, not at all.

Let me say this one last time, and be totally clear here. The nexus 7 on the latest android firmware DOES NOT SUPPORT USB TETHERING.

If you have an issue with that, go take it up with Google.

I have been working together with one of the Nethunter guys, and we have native support coming to nethunter via an OTG cable soon.

Please stop with your constant explaining that your tablet does not work, and somehow blaming us for it.

If you have further constructive feedback, you are welcome to leave it on the forums.

In regards to people resetting their WiFi Pineapple and going back to an older firmware, this is simply impossible. It's not how upgrades work.

• Upvote 1

No, not at all.

Let me say this one last time, and be totally clear here. The nexus 7 on the latest android firmware DOES NOT SUPPORT USB TETHERING.

If you have an issue with that, go take it up with Google.

I have been working together with one of the Nethunter guys, and we have native support coming to nethunter via an OTG cable soon.

Please stop with your constant explaining that your tablet does not work, and somehow blaming us for it.

If you have further constructive feedback, you are welcome to leave it on the forums.

In regards to people resetting their WiFi Pineapple and going back to an older firmware, this is simply impossible. It's not how upgrades work.

Seb sometime I question how you claim tethering doesn't work for the Nexus 7 2013 tablet when clearly people on this forum have said they're able to use the app with the Nexus 7 2013 just fine.

Feel free to tell me again how tethering doesn't work for the nexus 7 2013 when this user at https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37361-wifi-pineapple-connector-app-issue/page-2

clearly shows and states the app is working.

There is no tethering option on the Nexus 7 2013 tablet for 6.0 however this user is using 5.0.1 and clearly it's working fine for him.

I even attached screen shots of pictures from the thread....

4FDA69D6-736F-4FAF-81F3-BFE75DE8934D.jpg

14711226-B03B-41B0-969C-D2D50C237F1E.jpg

2643C96D-07AD-4EA2-ACE0-8E0A738F0362.jpg

You gonna still claim it doesn't work on the Nexus 7 2013 tablet even though many users have said the app works fine for them?

Also should I bring up the subject that at least 20 people have personally came to me for technical support for your hak5 products because they fear that people will have them back slash like i'm getting treated on here?

I could sit here all day posting screen shot after screenshot of people messaging me on facebook and twitter asking me for help with the WiFi Pineapple and I don't sell people this product all im trying to do is find out how to get my problem fixed so I can help other people who face the same issue I can't even use my NANO anything I have the Nexus 7 2013 isn't supported the wp6.sh doesn't work and you want people to give feedback well if the truth honestly hurts that you guys are selling people a half working device never in history have I heard any company selling people some thing to test I mean does Apple sell a iPhone for people to test ? You guys should've held off releasing this stuff and just gave them NANO to people who won't give you feedback if you can't handle the feedback you're getting.

be sure to delete my comments like you been doing I mean I wouldn't want people to know that they paying $100 for something that isn't fully working yet.

Allow me.

If you read the sentence he actually said:

I have bolded a very important prepositional phrase. On the latest Android firmware for the device, there is no tethering support. If you chose to use an older kernel/bulid that includes tethering, by all means you can.

This is not a reflection of the App performance, or the ability to use the device by connecting to the management interface over WiFi or by other means (laptop, etc.).

Allow me.

If you read the sentence he actually said:

I have bolded a very important prepositional phrase. On the latest Android firmware for the device, there is no tethering support. If you chose to use an older kernel/bulid that includes tethering, by all means you can.

This is not a reflection of the App performance, or the ability to use the device by connecting to the management interface over WiFi or by other means (laptop, etc.).

I know my video of flashing my nexus 7 2013 tablet was wrong but even after I did that the app still did not work. I even used the same firmware and build that the user in that thread had still didn't work.

Tethering works just the app doesn't reload like it should it just says that Disabled Tethering. The pineapple and the app are setting up tethering but the app isn't loading to the nano page it just says the app is supposed to obviously reload and send you to the nano login page after you set up tethering on your device I could still access the nano just fine but before I can I'd have to use a laptop and connect to the nano over wireless to find out what LAN IP was assigned before I could access the nano on my tablet.

From what I seen in the setting up video after you enable tethering on your device you simply tap back and then the app is supposed to take you to the nano login that doesn't happen for no no matter what android version I use.

I've tried at least 3 of the 5.0 versions of android including the one the user has in the screenshot.

I've tried 4 Charger cables 3 out of 4 of them will allow me to enable tethering the 4th cable shows tethering disabled so it can't be the cables.

Edited by ZaraByte

I have a question, not trying to high jack the thread at all.

In fact I helped as best I could.....

If I recall correctly, ZaraByte you said your Nexus was WiFi only..........if ZaraByte's tablet is "WiFi" only, how could tethering be enabled anyway..you have no Data connection ?????

Seb is it possible I could tether my nexus 6 using my WiFi as Internet and not use my Data, without maybe using iMacPwn's possible "EasyTether" solution?

Edited by xrad

Have you tested that tethering is working? If so, in what ways?

I'm not sure if there are package updates per version of nethunter. I do not have experience with it.

I'm not sure if your comment is is to me or not but if it is...

two reasons..

1. It shows tethering is tethered under the option for tethering.

2. If connect to the NANO via the tablet as long as I can SSH to the NANO and figure out what LAN IP has been assigned to the NANO then it's a matter of putting that LAN IP in my tablet browser and it loads the wifi pineapple nano page just fine also any device I connect to the NANO can connect to the internet of the WiFi i'm connected to on my tablet just fine.

The only thing again that doesn't work is the app once I enabled tethering on the WiFi Pineapple Connector app and it's showing tethered I tab back it and never reloads the connector app to take me to the NANO page.

My NANO appears to work fine my only issue that is holding me back from using it is the app and also tethering with the wp6.sh script doesn't work for me on Kali Linux 2.0 so im waiting for a new release of the wp6.sh and trying again.

I have a question, not trying to high jack the thread at all.

In fact I helped as best I could.....

If I recall correctly, ZaraByte you said your Nexus was WiFi only..........if ZaraByte's tablet is "WiFi" only, how could tethering be enabled anyway..you have no Data connection ?????

Seb is it possible I could tether my nexus 6 using my WiFi as Internet and not use my Data, without maybe using iMacPwn's possible "EasyTether" solution?

If that is true then we have a really big issue because im able to tether the WiFi im connected to on my tablet and share the WiFi it's using with the NANO however like I said after I enable tethering with the NANO when I tap back it doesn't reload to go to the NANO login page however any device I connect to the NANO can use that internet from the tablet.

So if tethering is not supposed to tether your wiFi then for some reason my NANO is because how else could the NANO be connected to the internet without any wireless adapter connected and having it setup via client mode?

I do wanna see if I can test and see if Client Mode will provide internet to my NANO but but I guess if the NANO isn't supposed to tether with WiFi on a tablet maybe that's my issue but then why is other people who have a Nexus 7 2013 tablet able to use their tablet with the app just fine?

And guys I don't mean to hijack this thread either it's just you gotta understand how frustrating this I know the NANO is for testing but I can't even test the NANO because I have nothing I can use the NANO with to even start testing bugs.

I already had to sell my tablet now I gotta spend $250-350 and see if I buy a Nexus 6 if the NANO will work.

The NANO currently doesn't tether with Kali Linux 2.0 and were waiting on a fix for the wp6.sh to come out maybe its out already I just woke up I believe darren was supposed to be working on it last night.

Edited by ZaraByte

C'mon man, hijacking this thread is exactly what you meant to do with your sarcastic "oh you mean like how..." post. Own up to it.

Nexus 5's are ~$120 on wharehousedeals.com. That's what I got when my S4 wouldn't tether. See, I had your same problem with tethering but instead of acting like a child, I made a bug report. Got confirmation it was getting worked on. Moved on.

Not sure what your issue with Sana is. I'm running it in a VM and bare metal on a Chromebook (not crouton) and wp6 works just fine on both.

• Upvote 1