Reaver Pro router to Mark IV

Rainman_34

So I have a reaver pro which is built on the same router as the wifi pineapple mark IV. Shame on me I know I shouldn't of wasted my money especially since reaver systems has pretty much decided to not add newer features into. The only thing it does do is provide an easy to use gui when I want to show some clients their wifi is unsecure. My question is I want to use this as a second wifi pineapple, (I already have one), when I travel but also be able to revert it back to a reaver pro when I need to give that easy to understand, red means bad, visual to a client that their wifi is not secure instead of them seeing a view of wash and being like so what. Is it possible to just ssh into this router and flash it with the pineapple firmware when I want it to be a mark IV pineapple and then ssh into it and flash it with the reaver firmware when I want it to be a reaver pro? Or would I need something else for flashing it? Thanks for any help.

No as far as I know you can't have both on the same device at least I myself have never heard of "dual booting" an AP.

Just so you know;
Reaver Pro contains SDRAM 64MB Flash: 16MB
WiFi Pineapple Mark 4 Contains SDRAM 16MB Flash: 8MB

So the OpenWRT firmware is not the same as far as I know the memory address blocks as to where the firmware is sent on the device are not the on both devices there both in a different location.

I planned on doing a video covering how to flash Reaver Pro but the biggest problem some people will have is getting the serial cable driver working on their machines after that the rest is smooth sailing.

You can pick up both the MK4 hardware and and a Reaver Pro hardware and flash them both it's really not all that hard.

Below are links of the hardware reaver pro is using
Board: http://www.data-alliance.net/alfa-hornet-ub-wifi-board-atheros-ar9331-400mhz-802-11n-version-w-16mb-flash-64mb-ram/
Case: http://www.data-alliance.net/case-for-alfa-hornet-ub-board-make-openwrt-router/
Antenna: http://www.data-alliance.net/antenna-2-4ghz-5dbi-omni-directional-w-rp-sma-connector-black-or-white/

You could build a Reaver Pro for less than what Reaver Systems sells it for I found this out myself shortly after Reaver Systems kicked me out of making any commissions after all I did for Reaver Systems I surely got tossed under the rug.

I also stopped hanging out on Reaver Systems forum i'm not gonna offer technical support on hardware I make no sales or profit off of so wasn't gonna waste my time hang the reaver systems forum reaver systems can handle their own technical support.

Anyways you can find hak5's old MK4 hardware on that same website you might even find the board already flashed with OpenWRT so all you need to do is login to the WebUI and then you can find the backup and flashing section and upload Hak5's firmware to that.

Edited by ZaraByte

So I have a reaver pro which is built on the same router as the wifi pineapple mark IV. Shame on me I know I shouldn't of wasted my money especially since reaver systems has pretty much decided to not add newer features into. The only thing it does do is provide an easy to use gui when I want to show some clients their wifi is unsecure. My question is I want to use this as a second wifi pineapple, (I already have one), when I travel but also be able to revert it back to a reaver pro when I need to give that easy to understand, red means bad, visual to a client that their wifi is not secure instead of them seeing a view of wash and being like so what. Is it possible to just ssh into this router and flash it with the pineapple firmware when I want it to be a mark IV pineapple and then ssh into it and flash it with the reaver firmware when I want it to be a reaver pro? Or would I need something else for flashing it? Thanks for any help.

Be careful with the above link, that board is the 64 MB version and may not work well or at all with the Mark 4 firmware.

If you already have the firmware, you will have to follow the flashing procedure for that hardware. It would be the same to flash it back to Reaver firmware. As long as it's not the 64 MB one, it should work fine. It's been a while and I can't remember if they used the 32 or 64 MB one for Reaver Pro.

If I'm not mistaken, you need to use a tool similar to this: http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/sven-ola/area51/

Clean flash instructions if you really screw things up :P

Zarabyte,

I am not attempting to dual boot the AP but instead be able to flash it with either firmware for the reaver when I want reaver pro or flash it with pineapple firmware when I want a second pineapple. PM Sent.

Mr-Protocol,

Thanks for response. I will look into whether they used the 64 or 32 MB. However it does sound a bit more than I was wanting to do. I was hoping it would be something as simple as it is for updating the firmware on the mark IV.

UPDATE: I have tested hak5's WiFi Pineapple IV firmware with the hardware made for Reaver Pro I would avoid trying to the WiFi Pineapple IV firmware with the Reaver Pro hardware it appears to not be compatible.

Here's what happen the flashing kinda went fine but then when I went to upload the WiFi Pineapple IV firmware via the OpenWRT web UI I watched the serial console and noticed after it started booting back up I got a Bad Magic Number which means the flashing failed and caused a bricking of the device.

------

No the correct hardware that Reaver Pro is using the SDRAM 64MB Flash: 16MB while the WiFi Pineapple IV was using SDRAM 16MB Flash: 8MB

The sticker inside my reaver pro says SDRAM 64MB Flash: 16MB on it.

I know for fact that reaver systems uses that because I've talked with Terry and he told me what hardware it used I also talked with Patton.com which were producing reaver systems with the hardware before he went with a cheaper company that gets him the hardware for reaver pro.

I have a Reaver Pro and just for laughs and giggles I will use my reaver pro as a test box and let you know if you can flash the Reaver Pro with the WiFi Pineapple IV firmware before you waste your money and time.

Will update you later on the outcome.

Edited by ZaraByte