Cannot see clients on my dashboard

j4rv1s

Hi guys i'm new here and after a month i finally managed to receive my pineapple nano, i finished the configuration and everything it's ok.
I have a question regarding the clients counter, i just connected my imac and my phone to the wifi network created with the pineapple nano and everything seems to work like a charm (internet connection included) except that i can't see on the dashboard any client connected. Do i have to check some kind of option? thanks :)

I've already seen the video, but i can't find answers to my question, i have my "victim" client laptop which is connected to the internet through the PineAP.
Let me explain with a schema:

[ROUTER] ---connected via wifi to--- [KALI] ---connected via ethernet/usb to--- [PINEAP]

• at this point the PineAP provides a new wifi network that i called WIFI-FREE, so:

WIFI-FREE (network powered by pineAP)
\
\

\
[My "victim" client laptop]

When my "victim" client laptop connects to my new wifi network powered by PineAP i can't see it on the dashboard, i can't see for example the mac address or the IP address. Is this ok? i thought the clients counter on the dashboard was for every client which is connected to the wifi network provided by the PineAP.
Hope you will understand my schema's . Sorry for this kinda stupid question :wacko:

Theres two kinds of access points the pineapple creates - a "Management" access point and an "Open" access point. Is WIFI-FREE the name of your Management or Open? The Management one requires a password, the Open is...open. If you're connecting to the Management, your client will not show up in your dashboard. If you connect to the Open I believe it should show up.

If you start up PineAP and you're spoofing access points that clients are looking for, those all should show up in your dashboard as well. Remember, in order to catch those types of clients, they have to have stored access points that are open (thats how they know to look for them, and the pineapple knows to respond to them).

If you're still doing everything right (connecting to a PineAP "spoofed" access point name for instance) and its still not showing up in the dashboard, I'd look into what browser are you using? Do you have adblockers enabled? Do you have javascript disabled?

I hope these answers and questions can lead you down the right path. Let us know!

telot

• Upvote 1

Okay i think i found the problem, as you said i only configured my management access point with a wpa following the Darren Kitchen's video on yt

Can you explain me how to configure an open access point instead of using the management AP? i couldn't find a guide anywhere, just followed the instructions on the video.

Thanks! and sorry for my incompetence, but at least, i learn fast. :grin:

Set up an open connection on your victim laptop. Say Bob's free wifi. Don't give it any encryption. Now connect to your pineapple from your phone/kali/whatever you're controlling it with computer and turn on pineap, check capture beacons, check broadcast ssids in pool. Your victim laptop should connect to Bob's free wifi.

• Upvote 1

Set up an open connection on your victim laptop. Say Bob's free wifi. Don't give it any encryption. Now connect to your pineapple from your phone/kali/whatever you're controlling it with computer and turn on pineap, check capture beacons, check broadcast ssids in pool. Your victim laptop should connect to Bob's free wifi.

sorry but i can't understand the first part, why should i set up an open connection on my VICTIM laptop? Maybe you wanna say i have to set up an open connection on my "PineAP-controller pc" .

I can't get physical access to every single client device wtf. just imagine me walking around with my PineAP that takes internet traffic from the 3G connection through my android-phone and that redirects and spread the traffic with the open AP created by the PineAP.

Why should i set up connection on, as you said, victim laptops?

The purpose of pineap is to catch people that have connected to open networks in the past, starbuks, crap like that. I don't think you'll be able to see the client's that connect to the open pineapple network.

I see all clients connected to the open wifi regardless of method. Only time I don't see clients is if connected via management.

Edited by jermzz

so wait, let's say i have an open internet connection nearby called free-wifi, now i wanna create a network with the same name that provides internet connection. let's say i have my laptop connected to my router, i connect it to the PineAP with the usb and that's ok. Now i just have to configure the wifi network, i just want to know how, i mean i know how to do that but if i use Kali linux to create a new wifi network without protection i can connect to it but of course there's no internet for this network. I can't be connected just to this new network, i should also have something that provides me internet connection in order to share it to the victim clients.

So can you explain me how to set up this damn fake AP that takes internet traffic from my home router?

and of course at the end i would like to see on my dashboard all the clients connected to this network.

Edited by j4rv1s
  • Upvote 1

so wait, let's say i have an open internet connection nearby called free-wifi, now i wanna create a network with the same name that provides internet connection. let's say i have my laptop connected to my router, i connect it to the PineAP with the usb and that's ok. Now i just have to configure the wifi network, i just want to know how, i mean i know how to do that but if i use Kali linux to create a new wifi network without protection i can connect to it but of course there's no internet for this network. I can't be connected just to this new network, i should also have something that provides me internet connection in order to share it to the victim clients.

So can you explain me how to set up this damn fake AP that takes internet traffic from my home router?

and of course at the end i would like to see on my dashboard all the clients connected to this network.

You misunderstood that part.

IF there's already an open free-wifi ap close by, you don't need to create it. Just start pineap, turn on collect and broadcast and allow connections. As long as your signal is stronger than the real free-wifi signal, clients will autoconnect. Now you will still need some way for your pineapple to have an internet connection, you do that with internet connection sharing on your kali laptop.

• Upvote 1

Oh well now it's clear :) so if i go, for example, into my college where there is a Free-Wifi i could turn on the pineap as you said, configuring the internet connection sharing and it will automatically say to the devices nearby "hey i am Free-Wifi Access Point" tricking and connecting them to it rather than the real Free-Wifi AP, right?

Oh well now it's clear :) so if i go, for example, into my college where there is a Free-Wifi i could turn on the pineap as you said, configuring the internet connection sharing and it will automatically say to the devices nearby "hey i am Free-Wifi Access Point" tricking and connecting them to it rather than the real Free-Wifi AP, right?

Not exactly. PineAP will broadcast open SSIDs of any nearby device the pineapple can see. But if that device has never connected to a free-wifi, PineAP will not associate it. When you connect to a free wifi with your phone, tablet or computer, once you've left the covered area of that AP your device will always probe for that wifi. And it will automatically connect when it's in range. PineAP simply sniffs those probes and says "I'm this AP, connect to me!" And you will get clients that way.

So at your college, if you connect to the free wifi, you're still only going to get clients that are not already associated to an AP, AND that are probing for formerly connected APs. Other than that it's just a 50/50 which AP they connect to if they're the same SSID.

Theoretically, if you name your AP the same SSID as an access point, and deauth them, they will connect to you if your signal out powers the other AP. I've not had much luck doing this with the nano in its stock configuration and antennas though. But I haven't tried so much. Maybe someone else can chime in if they've had success.

Edited by jermzz
  • Upvote 1

perfect! thanks a lot for the explaination, now it's all clear! :)

PS: do i have to connect my "pineAP laptop" to the free-wifi too and redirect the traffic through the pineAP or can i also use the 3G connection from my android-phone and redirect it to my pineAP? i mean in order to perform what u just said can i use another "internet source" like 3g connection or i just have to use the free-wifi AP traffic?

PS: do i have to connect my "pineAP laptop" to the free-wifi too and redirect the traffic through the pineAP or can i also use the 3G connection from my android-phone and redirect it to my pineAP? i mean in order to perform what u just said can i use another "internet source" like 3g connection or i just have to use the free-wifi AP traffic?

There's a wifi pineapple app in the android store to tether your pineapple to the Internet through your android phone. You can use your laptop as well if it's running Linux by using the wp6.sh. Windows I hear it's harder to connect. Another way to do it is use a USB dongle on the back of the pineapple and under the network tab you can connect to a hotspot or any wifi with client mode with wlan2. Edited by jermzz
  • Upvote 1

You redirect anything if you're using your Android phone tethered to the nano with a usb cable, just verify the pineapple has Internet as explained in the Android video Darren posted.

Also the wifi ssid you are trying to have your "victims" connect to, are you adding it via the ssid pool in pineap or the same page you setup your management ap?

You redirect anything if you're using your Android phone tethered to the nano with a usb cable, just verify the pineapple has Internet as explained in the Android video Darren posted.

Also the wifi ssid you are trying to have your "victims" connect to, are you adding it via the ssid pool in pineap or the same page you setup your management ap?

Supposed to say you don't have to redirect anything... It is automatic with the phone. I use it myself and it works great.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I can see some confusion here in this thread about seeing clients on the management portal vs the pineap portal. I'm connected from my desktop via USB to http://172.16.42.1:1471/#/modules/Recon and I am seeing some clients but not all clients. I have 5 clients connected to my WiFi router and I see 3 at most. I have disassociated the clients and have them re-associate with the WiFi router yet I do not pick up the beacon and hence do not see the MAC address. The devices are a mix of raspberryPi, MacOS and android devices. I tried looking at the pineap (connecting to the AP SSID over WIFI) and I see the same screen as the management portal.