Windows Packet Sniffer

Painkiller667

Hi guys. I have an Airnet 108mpbs Wifi USB adapter and cannot use it on my linux livecds. I've tried knoppix and backtrack and it isnt detected there. On the website it doesnt mention linux capability so I cannot have any complaints about that. Anyway, what I am looking for, is a windows packet sniffer. Ive tried some, like ethereal and wireshark, which seem to me exactly the same, and they do not work for me. They are too complicated and I think do not detect my adapter as well. What I want to find is an app, which detects my Airnet USB, detects the signals that Im able to detect with NetStumbler, and is able to crack the wep encryption via packet sniffing. Please help me out. Thanks.

Ethereal is wireshark, and if they do not work, then it seems likly any packet sniffing will not work in windows. It means that either your card isn't supported by winPcap or the drivers have had promiscuse mode disabledi n the drivers and you must find some 'unoffical' drivers to have any chance of it working.

My wifi card is a slut...

You need a linux compatible chipset, as most wireless card makers don't bother about drivers for linux. There is ndiswrapper which lets you use windows drivers in linux. But since its a wrapper you can't get direct access to the cards hardware. There is also madwifi or something. No idea about how that works though.

Here's a good tutorial for cracking WEP with Windows. You should take the time to read the entire thread because there's a lot of good information in there and it will teach you a lot about this subject.

http://www.tazforum.thetazzone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2069.

There is a part 2 if you look through the tutorials section but all of the meat is in part 1.

However, if you're looking to crack WEP, you'll need to get your hands on a Linux tutorial so you'll have access to applications that support packet injection. Comm View is the only Windows app so far that supports it but it's not free.

Another thing, before I get myself a new usb adapter, I have been thinking about one of those homemade antennas for a usb adapter. They look very simple yet effecting, in some sites stating that they increase range up to 10 miles! yea, right. Anyway, I took one of those cookware things, the ones you use to run water through pasta, and I just poked around a bit with the usb positioning it every which way in the thing. Nothing different. No new signals, the old signals are detected with the same strength. Maybe Im doing something wrong, or maybe there is something I am not doing at all.

• 3 weeks later...

i thought you couldnt use USB adapters for hackin wifi, when i tried about a month ago, everything i found said it you MUST have a pci/pcmia card in order for the drivers/warez to work or they wont acknowledge your usb card...i used unencrypted signals for a few months then went and bought a 6mbit cable line @ $45/month lol --- my 2 cents,