[Official] ettercap

Whistle Master

• 2 months later...

Ettercap will not start on my nano, checking the module script I see the following

<snip>
MYCMD=`cat /tmp/ettercap.run`

if [ `$1` = "start" ]; then
      eval ${MYCMD}
      rm -rf /tmp/ettercap.run

</snip>

When I check the /tmp/ettercap.run file I see

-T -w /pineapple/modules/ettercap/log/log_1457500461.pcap -m /pineapple/modules/ettercap/log/log_1457500461.log

If I ssh to the nano and prepend /usr/bin/ettercap to that ettercap starts. A quick hack of the ettercap/api/module.php on line 110 to add /usr/bin/ettercap to the command that is written to ettercap.run and I can start ettercap from the GUI.

The -T option sets ettercap to the interactive text interface, I'm not sure but I think the -D option to daemonize the process would be preferred?

That's weird... The ettercap.run file did not have "ettercap" at the beginning ?

What is the content in the GUI of the "command" field ? It should have "ettercap" and the rest of your options.

The "-T" option is mandatory to start ettercap start in the interactive text interface, otherwise, it won't start. The "-D" is not used in this case.

Hi, i am having issues with ettercap. It seems to say it is running but it is not or it is crashing. I am not sure what it is.

I am starting it with the command "ettercap -i eth0 -V text". When i connect with my device (iPad) to the PineAP and start browsing, nothing will appear in the log. After some time it will just say "ettercap is not running..." but at the top the button is red and says "Stop".

Any idea what is happening? I can post logs if you tell me where to find them.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone expirience ettercap shutdown problem? When you start to sniff on br-lan with ARP the module stop working after a while, especially if there are more than 10 clinets connected. In status is says that ettercap is not running but button is still red and says "stop". Then if you click "stop" the module start working again... ?!

Is it normal to have 30+ connected clients, run ettercap on br-lan with ARP poisoning and receive only those kind of logs:

DHCP: [38:71:DE:85:AE:13] REQUEST 172.19.106.221
DHCP: [172.16.42.1] OFFER : 172.16.42.112 255.255.255.0 GW 172.16.42.1 DNS 172.16.42.1 "lan"
DHCP: [38:71:DE:85:AE:13] DISCOVER
DHCP: [E4:98:D1:D0:90:1E] REQUEST 172.16.42.112
DHCP: [38:71:DE:85:AE:13] DISCOVER
DHCP: [172.16.42.1] OFFER : 172.16.42.241 255.255.255.0 GW 172.16.42.1 DNS 172.16.42.1 "lan"
DHCP: [172.16.42.1] ACK : 172.16.42.112 255.255.255.0 GW 172.16.42.1 DNS 172.16.42.1 "lan"
DHCP: [172.16.42.1] OFFER : 172.16.42.241 255.255.255.0 GW 172.16.42.1 DNS 172.16.42.1 "lan"
DHCP: [E4:98:D1:D0:90:1E] REQUEST 172.16.42.112
DHCP: [172.16.42.1] ACK : 172.16.42.112 255.255.255.0 GW 172.16.42.1 DNS 172.16.42.1 "lan"
DHCP: [38:71:DE:85:AE:13] REQUEST 172.16.42.241
DHCP: [172.16.42.1] ACK : 172.16.42.241 255.255.255.0 GW 172.16.42.1 DNS 172.16.42.1 "lan"

• 2 weeks later...

I was excited to use this module, but I like others can't get it to work.. sometimes it won't start, sometimes it won't stop.. but when it is running it doesn't seem to work at all.. either the target gets blocked from the internet all together once it's running, or the target gets internet but no logs of the targets browsing. I second the motion that a video is made giving an example of how to use it.. I'm not sure what interface to use and most of the other settings seem confusing.. please give us a video tutorial 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi I am new in Pineapple so if I am starting something old here please don't be mad :)

I have Pineapple Tetra and trying to run ettercap in this unit.

As shown in different youtubes I have connected test client to free wifi. I can see his IP and mac address. Also tested by DWall and it works fine.

On ettercap in target 1 was written client IP, and on target 2 router IP (at this moment it is pineapple). For poisoning was choose arp and remote.

In commandline it shown like this:

ettercap -i wlan0 -M arp:remote /172.16.42.227/ /172.16.42.1/ 

After START WAN connection dropped. That's mean client cant co into WWW (no ping). Also pineapple WAN is dropped as well.

Log what I downloaded is below:

Listening on:
 wlan0 -> 00:13:37:A6:24:E7

Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Regained root privileges: 0 0Privileges dropped to EUID 0 EGID 0...

33 plugins
  42 protocol dissectors
  57 ports monitored
20388 mac vendor fingerprint
1766 tcp OS fingerprint
2182 known services

Scanning for merged targets (2 hosts)...

0 hosts added to the hosts list...

Do I am still to do something wrong?

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I am trying to use the ettercap to replace/modify HTML code. 

I executed the replace_str.filter with the bellow code:

if (ip.proto == TCP && tcp.dst == 80) {
   if (search(DATA.data, "Accept-Encoding")) {
      replace("Accept-Encoding", "Accept-Rubbish!"); 
   }
}

if (ip.proto == TCP && tcp.src == 80) {
   replace("Anarchy", "Hola");
   msg("Filter Ran.\n");
}

The command is simple: ettercap -i br-lan -F /pineapple/modules/ettercap/filters/replace_str.ef 

And in the logs the filter look good and appeared the string "Filter Ran" but I cannot see any modification during the navigation :-(

Any ideas? Thank you very much :-)

• 4 months later...

Having a bit of trouble installed the dependences for the Ettercap module on the wifi pineapple nano running the updated 201 firmware.

The module itself downloads and installs without any issues at all but when it come to installing the dependences needed for it to run it doesn't work. I tried pineapple interface and nothing. Then i decided to ssh into the pineapple and install it using the command line using opkg

Installing ettercap (0.8.2-1) to root...
Downloading https://www.wifipineapple.com/nano/packages/ettercap_0.8.2-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for ettercap:
 *     libnet1 *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ettercap.
root@Pineapple:~#

How do i fix for the pineapple?

19 minutes ago, SystemCrash86 said:

How do i fix for the pineapple?

Im not 100% sure.

When you look on opkg -

opkg list | grep libnet

you can see a libnet0 - 1.0.2a-9

I suspect there is a missing lib link or libnet1 needs to be added to the packages.

When I download Ettercap, it never completes downloading the dependencies as shown via the webGUI.  using cabinet to look at the files under /modules/ettercap it looks like the dependencies have been downloaded but there is some sort of connection missing that links the the completed download to the webGUI. I don't know anything though..

+1 to subscribe. I love to know how to install ettercap onto my SD card.

On 27/12/2017 at 1:18 PM, Spoonish said:

When I download Ettercap, it never completes downloading the dependencies as shown via the webGUI.  using cabinet to look at the files under /modules/ettercap it looks like the dependencies have been downloaded but there is some sort of connection missing that links the the completed download to the webGUI. I don't know anything though..

Ditto. I would love to see what other recommendation are out there to help noob (like myself) installing this module on my WP Nano.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Just bought the Wifi pineapple NANO. PineAP is working as it should but I'm having trouble with a handful of modules that I expected would work out of the box, one being ettercap.

I have been able to install ettercap via the modules list on wifipineapple.com (Via the graphical web interface) as well as with "opkg --dest sd install ettercap" via ssh. I had to symlink the ettercap.list file from sd to internal to avoid errors in the installation process:

root@Pineapple:~# opkg --dest sd install ettercap
Installing ettercap (0.8.2-1) to sd...
Downloading https://www.wifipineapple.com/nano/packages/ettercap_0.8.2-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Configuring ettercap.
cat: can't open '/usr/lib/opkg/info/ettercap.list': No such file or directory
root@Pineapple:~# ln -s /sd/usr/lib/opkg/info/ettercap.list /usr/lib/opkg/info/ettercap.list
root@Pineapple:~# opkg remove ettercap
Removing package ettercap from sd...
root@Pineapple:~# opkg --dest sd install ettercap
Installing ettercap (0.8.2-1) to sd...
Configuring ettercap.
root@Pineapple:~#

However; I can't run ettercap after that. It throws the error about libnet module as mentioned in this thread. This is what I found:

root@Pineapple:~# ettercap
ettercap: can't load library 'libnet.so.1'
root@Pineapple:~# find / -name libnet.so.1
/sd/usr/lib/libnet.so.1
root@Pineapple:~# ls -allh /sd/usr/lib/libnet.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root          15 Apr  6 10:21 /sd/usr/lib/libnet.so.1 -> libnet.so.1.3.0
root@Pineapple:~# find / -name libnet.so.1.3.0
/sd/usr/lib/libnet.so.1.3.0

Is ettercap having problems with using libnet.so.1.3.0 ?

When will this be fixed?

Trying to run ettercap via the web interface displays no errors, but returns to the "start"-button without any information except "ettercap is not running...".

Appreciate any help.

2 hours ago, xref said:

When will this be fixed?

It was already, but you will need to install the libnet files manually IIRC. there was a small post about it on the firmware thread(s?).

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived