How to fix Intel e6850 processor using metasploit?

nick5990

Hi

I have troubleshooted my computer, and found that something is wrong with the Intel e6850 processor used. - Since no graphics output / signal is coming from the pci express card, and the rest of the motherboard is working fine. I do not believe the motherboard (asus p5n-d) has a fault.

Hence I need some advice on how to fix the issue using tools such as metasploit or others on how to reenable graphics output in the processor?

If there's no video output, how did you determine the system is actually running?

And since when is Metasploit a diagnostics tool?? You're genuinely puzzling me.

Define "powers on". Light go on? Fans start to spin? Harddisks crackle? Keyboard activates and responds to num lock? Do you actually hear it booting an OS? Until it does, metasploit can't help you. If the processor's dead it's my experience the harddisks don't spin up or spin down kinda quickly, but I'm guessing you're sporting an SSD.

Take out everything except for 1 strip of RAM and the processor, then see if it tries to post. If not, take out the RAM and stick a different strip (if available) in a different slot. Same result? Call the shop you got it from and ask them to diagnose. If it's a new build it could be as simple as the current mobo bios not supporting your proc. That happened to me twice thus far. If it's an old machine, tell us what you changerd in terms of hardware.

Hi.

Ok thanks for the advice. I will get some more info and post back hear soon. Also all the kit I purchased was from retailers, and is now out of warranty. I cannot afford to buy a brand new processor. I am trying to work out what the cause is so I can get the cheapest solution that works.

Define "powers on". Light go on? Yes

Fans start to spin? Yes

Harddisks crackle? Yes

Keyboard activates and responds to num lock? No

Do you actually hear it booting an OS? No

but I'm guessing you're sporting an SSD. No - I'm using HDDs.

Currently troubleshooting the RAM.

Tried 6 different RAM sticks - a different slot was used each time for each stick - no output onto monitor using dvi and vga cables, and 2 different graphics cards.

USB keyboard - works when plugged into laptop, but does not work in any usb port on the motherboard in question - keyboard lights don't go on.

It may be posting, however since no video output on monitor I don't know.

There are no beeps as computer turns on.

It's not a new build - it's an old build. The problem happened a few months ago. I'm thinking something may have changed some of the settings on the motherboard when it was connected to the internet.

Before the problem happened, the BIOS was latest available & years without issue.

Please advise?

As I said before, disconnect everything. What you should test is the combination of PSU, Mobo, CPU and 1 stick of RAM - that's the minimum to boot a machine. I'm assuming now that you did the RAM test with this configuration. If so, either your mobo or processor has died or your BIOS config has become invalid. Mobo's invariably have a CMOS reset option, normally in the form of a jumper you need to open or close. Do so, then power on the machine. Chances are it won't do much more than previous because this powering on only clears the CMOS and doesn't let the machine start to POST. Wait a minute or 2, then power off the machine. Put the jumper back to its original form and turn the machine on again.

If the above didn't help, either your processor or your motherboard died on you. It's a sad thing, but it does happen. Figure out which CPUs the motherboard supports, then call around to find a local computer shop that also fixes computers. Ask if you could bring over the mobo and CPU and, for a modest fee, they could check to see which of the two is dead. The process there is they try to start the CPU you have on a different motherboard that they know isn't defective, and they try to start a known-working CPU on your mobo. Shouldn't take that long so they should be able to do this for not a lot of money. At this point you'll know the part that needs to be replaced and you can figure out what options you have going forward.

Edited by cooper

Could be PSU issue?

If no beeps:

Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

If the system beeps:

If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Also, if your CPU is overclocked,over-volt'ed it could have burnt out?

I've had newly bought old(ish) boards with a new, supported CPU fail to boot in absolute silence because the BIOS on the board was too old to know about that model CPU. For me that meant a quick trip to the shop asking them to flash the BIOS. They normally have a stack of known-good CPUs around for testing purposes.