AWUS036NEH working in window not in kail

black raven

I just got a laptop and installed kali and enabled the adapter to the vm but no networks showed and I had the adapter for a near a year now but im still testing if anything will work I try install wicd and the old backtrack wifi patch but no improvements.

1. I get help from the hak5 community

2. I get a refund or new adapter

3. Get a new adapter from a different manufacturer

Well a few questions.

1) Does the adaptor work on it's own, when just plugged directly into a laptop or other machine? Does it show up if you livebooting and not trying to connect through a VM?

2) What type of laptop and OS is it running? This doesn't always, but sometimes can, cause issues.

3) Refund for what? The adaptor, if it's over a year and it works on other devices, I'd say that's not going to happen.

Also have you checked with the official Kail community at https://www.kali.org/community/

Edited by Rkiver

I running a vm of kali 2 on an hp pavilion 15 the adapter works in the window os but not in the vm I have enabled the adapter under the vm while running it

I dislike live booting as the usb install will some times wipe its self or the crash the computer and corrupting thw os and restore from older back ups

I check google kali and the black hat forums for solution and never worked

Let me just chime in here.

I running a vm of kali 2 on an hp pavilion 15 the adapter works in the window os but not in the vm

So technically the adapter works. That means that your problem is either driver-related or the device is being mis-detected. It also means that, from your original post, options 2 and 3 will not happen.

I have enabled the adapter under the vm while running it

And just how did you do that? What VM software are you using anyway? What did the guest OS do when you told the host OS to enable the adapter for it? Logs? If you want people to help you remotely you're going to have to provide a *LOT* more information.

I dislike live booting as the usb install will some times wipe its self or the crash the computer and corrupting thw os and restore from older back ups

I think you mean that you threw commands at it without being really sure what they might do and they ended up hitting the harddisk in a not-so-good way. This isn't a problem with the live boot or Kali - it's a problem with YOU.
You're an inexperienced user, which is just fine - we all had to start from somewhere, but maybe Kali isn't the best OS for you to be learning this stuff on. The key feature of Kali is that it makes a point of getting out of your way as much as possible as quickly as possible. It assumes you know what you're doing which, when you do, is a godsend. However when you don't it's like learning to ride a bike without having the side wheels on, and blaming the bike when you fall and bang your knee.

I check google kali and the black hat forums for solution and never worked

Interesting. Which solutions were that and what happened when you tried them. Yes, I understand that whatever you tried didn't produce a working solution, but did anything work a little bit? Did anything in the system ever give you a hint that your situation might be improving? More details please!

As cooper pointed out, what, if anything, can you show us from the command line that happens when the card is plugged in? Every device you plug into linux will show some kind of output to the system.

Start with the basics. Can you see the card with dmesg when plugged in, lsusb, and if wlan0 shows for the device(or something to that effect) try airmon-ng start wlan0 (or the corresponding id). This card should be supported out of the box, just make sure it's being passed to the VM properly. Alternatively, try LIVE BOOTING off a cd/dvd/usb on the main laptop, not in a VM, and then try the card natively to rule out vm software issues, see what happens. if it really won't work for you(but it should), try the AWUS036NHA, which does work out of the box with kali, but is limited to one antenna and by default, can only see 2.4ghz bands, so no 5ghz 802.11 A, N or AC