Just Bricked my Nano - Howto unbrick

ale

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connected through kali vm on my mac, ran wp6.sh shows it detected the pineapple on 172.16.42.1:1471 but will not connect, tried on a windows 7 computer and still no luck. watched the windows setup video and tried those settings but still will not connect. it was working fine then just stopped and can't log in or even go to the log in page. ifconfig shows it's there as eth1

whats the proper ssh for the nano so I can try the jffs2reset -y && reboot

Hi ,

Sorry for being a noob...

I got my nano and when i was following and upgrading my nano with latest firmware of 1.0.5. ...my friend came in the room and he unplugged the nano from usb during that time.

Since that time when i plug nano to the laptop ..suddenly the blue light up ..i mean it doesnt blink as before and continuous on.

In windows a axis ethernet does comeup with no ip information i tried to give it a static one but nothing happened.

Please help ..what should i do..

inshort it was unplug during the first update of 1.0.5 ..

is there still some life in my nano or it gone???

Thanks.

The first thing I would try is to reset it. If that doesn't work there are still other ways to fix it.

Plug it in and wait for it to boot up, then hold the reset button on the bottom for about ten seconds.

Also, are you sure you used the correct network settings? You can follow the windows setup guide to find them.

I wanna know what you do if you brick the pineapple NANO I mean at least with the MK4 and MK5 you had serial recovery what if I wanted to go back to the stock firmware how could I do that. I heard you press the reset button but how long would you hold the reset button to stock firmware the NANO.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread but while we're on the subject of a possible bricking i'd like to hear without making a new thread how we unbrick it.

I saw a thread on unbricking it but let's assume the device can't be accessed im not sure how bricked the nano can get I mean let's say he did pull the power in the middle of flashing what are the chances of not being able to recover it I mean assuming we can't SSH into the nano how else it can be reflashed?

To the thread starter try following this guide;

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37210-just-bricked-my-nano-howto-unbrick/

If you did unplug it while flashing, you would still be able to recover by holding down the reset button and accessing the recovery interface on 192.168.1.1.

Hmm I'll have to check this out when I power off my nano and see this would be pretty neat if this works.

I just got my nano yesterday and im very green to Pineapple. but today i wanted to try and play with the RT5370 wifi chip i had also bought when i got the nano i powered the nano down inserted the chip when i rebooted it started a boot loop continuous flashing and restarting i could not communicate with the nano at all. i re flashed the firmware and tried again all works good. just wondering if there were other steps i was supposed to take when connecting a new wifi card.

I just got my nano yesterday and im very green to Pineapple. but today i wanted to try and play with the RT5370 wifi chip i had also bought when i got the nano i powered the nano down inserted the chip when i rebooted it started a boot loop continuous flashing and restarting i could not communicate with the nano at all. i re flashed the firmware and tried again all works good. just wondering if there were other steps i was supposed to take when connecting a new wifi card.

How are you powering it? Computer? Computer with y-cable? Battery pack?

The most likely cause I would guess would be not enough power.

As far as the steps you only need need to plug it in, power it up and then you can go to networking and connected it to a wifi of your choice.

I don't have that card specifically but I've used the Alfa the in the hak shop and it worked without issues. I'm sure if they are selling that one it's because they've extensively tested and approve of it. Possibly check out just hooking up the wifi card to a computer and making sure it works that way in the off chance you got a lemon one somehow.

it was with the laptop with the Y cable. not enough power makes sense maybe ill have to see what my output actually is on this laptop.

Bad USB port maybe? I haven't heard of anyone ever having an issue with power from a USB port unless the port was bad or maybe a driver issue.

You say you bricked your nano did you ever get it unbricked?

If you need it unbricked there is a guide on how to do it in the sticky of this category.

• 7 months later...

Hy folks,

i am in big trouble with my Pineapple Nano....

got it a few days ago and followed Darren's Video on how to update the firmware.
Same shi.... happend as mentioned in this post bevor.... it disconnected and boom bricked.

i tried your Step-By-Step guide from page 1 Darren, but alsways the same Problem:

when i do dmesg it says:
[

1.   [ 2995.205491] asix 1-1:1.0 eth1: kevent 4 may have been dropped

2.   [ 2997.393008] asix 1-1:1.0 eth1: Failed to enable hardware MII access

3.   [ 2998.449446] net_ratelimit: 14 callbacks suppressed

4.   [ 2998.449457] asix 1-1:1.0 eth1: kevent 4 may have been dropped

5.   [ 2998.661424] asix 1-1:1.0 eth1: kevent 4 may have been dropped

]

and goes into a kind-of loop.

Any Suggestions?

• 7 months later...
On 2016-1-6 at 1:23 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

Your lsusb and ifconfig indicates that the NANO is seen by your computer -- you're just lacking an IP address from it. Try the following command:

sudo ifconfig eth2 172.16.42.42 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Then SSH in or hit the web interface.

Failing that try the web recovery method:

1. Download the latest WiFi Pineapple NANO firmware from https://www.wifipineapple.com/nano/

2. Hold down the reset button while plugging the WiFi Pineapple NANO into your computer

3. After a moment, release the reset button

4. Set a static IP address on the WiFi Pineapple NANO Ethernet interface to 192.168.1.2 (netmask 255.255.255.0)

4a. Linux: sudo ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

5. Open a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1

6. From the recovery web interface, click browse and select the file downloaded in step 1

7. Click update and wait 5-10 minutes as the WiFi Pineapple flashes the firmware. Do not interrupt power during this time.

I get up to navigate to navigate to 192.168.1.1 but the page it took me to didn't seem to have anything to help me. Am i the only one?

• 4 months later...

On Mac, I have factory reset, and assigned 192.168.1.2 as the IP to en4 (what is shows up as on ifconfig) and cannot SSH or get to it from a web browser. 

en4: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

options=4<VLAN_MTU>

ether 00:c0:ca:91:bd:

inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

media: autoselect

Any ideas on this one? Stumping me.

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2016 at 8:23 PM, Darren Kitchen said:

Your lsusb and ifconfig indicates that the NANO is seen by your computer -- you're just lacking an IP address from it. Try the following command:

sudo ifconfig eth2 172.16.42.42 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Then SSH in or hit the web interface.

Failing that try the web recovery method:

1. Download the latest WiFi Pineapple NANO firmware from https://www.wifipineapple.com/nano/

2. Hold down the reset button while plugging the WiFi Pineapple NANO into your computer

3. After a moment, release the reset button

4. Set a static IP address on the WiFi Pineapple NANO Ethernet interface to 192.168.1.2 (netmask 255.255.255.0)

4a. Linux: sudo ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

5. Open a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1

6. From the recovery web interface, click browse and select the file downloaded in step 1

7. Click update and wait 5-10 minutes as the WiFi Pineapple flashes the firmware. Do not interrupt power during this time.

I´m George, thnk you are the best.

• 1 year later...

Ok, so right now my nano blinks once then solid for 4 seconds.

I tried to firmware flash it. I held reset for 10. It goes solid and stays solid. I then set eth to 192.168.1.1 and in a Windows pc using Firefox i go to 192.168. 1.1

This allows me to see the firmware page. I upload. A bin from the site called nano factory I think. 

The nano flashes during install but when finished and it tries to reboot ìt , all it does is blink once and goes solid for 4 secs...then off. Nothing. Back  to where it was. If i try to reboot jut by unplugging I get same. Solid blue 4 secs then off.

Im using y cable from male usb of nano to powered usbport. I have eth3 (which appears when nano plugged) set to 192.168.1.2. 

Firmware reset just doesn't seem to take.

Ideas? Ìve hadit for 2 days. It used tho boot. I'd get clients etc but things like dwall never worked. Then suddenly it took a çrap. Not its just solid blue to count of 4 n off. Even after firm reboot.

Update: now after an attempt it is solid for 4 blinks for a few then goes off....

Help !

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The most common way in Windows for an ordinary user is to set it using the GUI, but you could use netsh and it would look something like this:

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
or
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

i brick the nano and i can't access the pineapple, the reset has no effect.

When I connect it with the Y cable the led lights up, flashes, and then stabilizes.

With the

lsusb

I can see the nano.

with the

lsconfig

I see that an ip is assigned in my case 192.168.1.125.

I tried to follow guide, but if i press the reset button while i connect the nano, the led flashes and then stays steady, if we press the reset button again, the LED continues to remain lit steadily.

With the

lsusb

I can see the nano, typing the

ifconfig

this time no ip address is assigned, with the

sudo ifconfig ethx 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

I can assign an ip but then, I can't log in via browser, with

ssh root@192.168.1.1

I can't log in via ssh

Can someone help me ? do i have to give my pineapple for dead?

Many Thanks

Archived