Question about irc, and being banned

revolations2525

I am not sure on how to phrase the question, I was seen that I got ban from the irc for a "ping bot". I mean that is ok that I got banned from the irc channel that is no big problem. Its all good :) .

But the thing is, the computer that I was using just for irc, has been acting very funny, and things would happen. For an example, files on the computer would become missing, and new files would show up. Plus the computer would do really weird things (thinking that is is just a really bad software issue with something.)

This is maybe a long shot, but would it have been possibly that this computer was maybe broken into (hacked)? But if not, maybe I got some kind of a bots/spy-ware/ad-ware/virus problem.

But If I caused any problems/headaches in the irc, I am sorry. But I figure there is at least a week ban (or more), so that is all cool. Sorry for the problem that I caused. :)

/me gives the irc ops a hug :)

Hey it's no problem, I'd noticed you had a couple of scripts running like ping and such but until today nothing had been sent to #hak5.

I'll unban you when I've finished this message but I'd ask that you turn those scripts off while in #hak5 if you don't mind :)

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, welcome back :)

Edit: Unbanned.

Moonlit, there has to be something on my computer(s) that is making a ping issue, I turned off all the little things, but my guess it that it is the program that I am using or, there is something wrong with the internet connect.

I thought that I had the problem fixed. But to make sure everything will be fixed, I am going to redo all the computers that I use.

Very sorry again?

/m feels like a fool for trying to fix a problem and failed to fix.

Hey it's no problem, let's hope we can get it sorted and have you back in there...

In case you didn't see what sets off the script, it seems that !PING (whatever goes here) makes your client respond with /me <ping response>.

You're unbanned again for the moment so if you think you've got it nailed come on back and we'll try again :)

Which client are you using? Perhaps there's a script that installed somewhere... I don't know about anything other than mIRC but hopefully someone else here will know what the deal is.

Moonlit, this what I found, but I don't know if this is something that can help.

<revolations2525> !Ping <something> Could not be resolved to an IP address

#hak5 - Banned by: moonlit - *!*moonlit@microsoft.com

* Dns resolving microsoft.com

* Dns resolved microsoft.com to 207.46.130.108

But, I think that it is a Windows problem.

<revolations2525> !Ping <something> Could not be resolved to an IP address

This is the part we see when someone used !PING and it's the part we wanna get rid of...

I'm not sure what's causing it but I can only assume it's a script that's defined somewhere in your client.

Ok, I was using mIRC 6.2 with the power pack RC9 mod, and it has a lot of things with is, but I know that I am not going to use it. I will try using Chatzilla and see if that works. (hopes it works).

And if it does work, I know that I am not using mIRC again...lol :)

/me is afraid to try it, not knowing if it will do the same thing... :

That should work, I think the problem will disappear with a different client but there's probably a way to disable the power pack if you'd prefer to still use mIRC.

You might want to try uninstalling mIRC and reinstalling with a fresh copy from www.mirc.com.

Also now I know you're dealing with it you can come on in and try it, I won't ban you now because I know you're trying to fix it. :)

Cleaning your machine is always a good thing but I will say I don't personally think the problem was mIRC itself and while I don't generally trust 'add on packs' or 'power packs' I don't think that was related to your virus.

I think the !PING thing was a function of the mIRC Power Pack though...

That I will agree with. I have used mIRC for a long time, and I have use the power pack say for about 3 months, and it has gave me some problems, with some of the scripts, I am guessing one of them had a issue with something after turning bunch of the scripts off.

I will re-install mIRC with no add-ons (maybe never again) and see if all my problems are fixed. if not, I will find out really quick...lol... :)

• 2 weeks later...