Tetra or Compex which?

repoman

I was looking at rolling a COMPEX WPJ344LV but you guys reworked a better unit just wish profit margin was smaller per unit so it had more killer specs (64megs vs 128megs) no microSD slot :sad: I just hate onboard NAND failures (thou it is SLC) what todo, what todo...

I was looking at rolling a COMPEX WPJ344LV but you guys reworked a better unit just wish profit margin was smaller per unit so it had more killer specs (64megs vs 128megs) no microSD slot :sad: I just hate onboard NAND failures (thou it is SLC) what todo, what todo...

I don't think the 64 vs 128 MB is going to be a big deal for our devices, and there are some tricks we still have up our sleeves.

In regards to the SD card slot, I know a lot of people are disappointed about this, but in all honesty, SD cards have caused a lot of issues for us in the past. While we have resolved these issues with the NANO, having 2GB of nand on board should be plenty for all WiFi pineapple applications (and even logs). If you do need more, you can always plug in a small USB disk.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• Upvote 1

Repoman,

Yes, both Micro USB ports allow you to power the TETRA. You can use one, both, or 12V DC in to power the WiFi Pineapple TETRA. It depends on what you can output.

In regards to how the ethernet works, it's a USB to ethernet device (realtek in this case) build in to the TETRA. You simply plug it in and you'll get an ethernet device mounted on your system. On the TETRA side, the chip is directly wired to eth1.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Since you're bringing up a reference design I think it's worth pointing out here the immense work we've done in regards to integrating the four very high gain amplifiers onboard for the main SoC plus the PCIE second radio. It's no small feat and not something you'll find off the shelf. The RAM specs aren't of much consequence for what we're doing though it's a simple drop in replacement if we want to upgrade down the line. The focus was on making a rock solid long term platform and looking at our roadmap I think we've done just that.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think the 64 vs 128 MB is going to be a big deal for our devices, and there are some tricks we still have up our sleeves.

In regards to the SD card slot, I know a lot of people are disappointed about this, but in all honesty, SD cards have caused a lot of issues for us in the past. While we have resolved these issues with the NANO, having 2GB of nand on board should be plenty for all WiFi pineapple applications (and even logs). If you do need more, you can always plug in a small USB disk.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Whats the likely hood of the nand going bad? Is it easy to replace? Can the os be installed to usb in case it does happen? I like the form factor of the nano (small portable) and the power of the tetra... hmmmmm what to get

• 4 months later...

Wow, I just realized the $250 Tetra doesn't have a microSD port.  What a waste.  2gb?  Are you kidding me?  That's barely enough for RAM let alone ROM.

Absolutely lame.  64mb RAM should be enough?  You're running a fancy web-server and network sniffing tools.  It's going to run out of memory.

3 hours ago, shadesoflight said:

Wow, I just realized the $250 Tetra doesn't have a microSD port.  What a waste.  2gb?  Are you kidding me?  That's barely enough for RAM let alone ROM.

Absolutely lame.  64mb RAM should be enough?  You're running a fancy web-server and network sniffing tools.  It's going to run out of memory.

The only reason the NANO has a microsd slot is because there is not enough internal storage for all the modules.  2gb is more than enough for the Tetra and I would rather use USB stick than a microsd card.  You would be surprised how well these perform for the size.

42 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

The only reason the NANO has a microsd slot is because there is not enough internal storage for all the modules.  2gb is more than enough for the Tetra and I would rather use USB stick than a microsd card.

It has nothing to do with the modules.  Logging all interfaces via TCPDump with one active client can fill up a 16gb SD card in a day.  And I had to buy another microSD adapter just for the Tetra -- maybe not a big deal, especially if I can use those two micro-USB ports.  Otherwise, the USB 2.0 port that _should_ be used for a wifi adapter is now going to have to be used for storage?  Not right.

You would be surprised how well these perform for the size.

Maybe.  But my Mk 5 has 64mb of ram, and it's absolutely _not_ enough.  I'm constantly maxing out.  Going to have to make a script to strip out the web-server and other scripts for controlling all the services from the CLI (PineAP?  Really?  Only socket communication?  Yeah, I found the python script that was posted on the forums... )

If it doesn't work for what you need it to do don't buy it.  Thats pretty simple.  BTW smile more, life's too short to be negative.

• Upvote 2

On 6/19/2016 at 2:55 AM, shadesoflight said:

Honestly, if it wasn't for the software, the WRT AC1900 is a much better deal in terms of hardware specs.

Then build your own software, hardware, and a company to deliver it.  If you build it and it doesn't suck then people will buy it.  Until then you should stop bashing a good piece of hardware.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sud0nick said:

Then build your own software, hardware, and a company to deliver it.  If you build it and it doesn't suck then people will buy it.  Until then you should stop bashing a good piece of hardware.

There's routers out there with double the ram, quadruple in some cases, and given the tasks at hand and the price point, I'd just think they could add in more RAM.  .  It's nice that it comes pre-bundled with OpenWRT and a webGUI for people who aren't comfortable with the command-line, as well as the concept of infusions and some really awesome software like PineAP etc.

You're right, I'm unreasonably negative.  I bought the hardware, surely.  I will complain about there not being enough ram, though, when people say 64mb is more than enough.

2 hours ago, kerravon said:

you could always buy a second hand one, and play with upgrading the memory.

regards
kerravon

While this sounds cool in theory, you're probably going to have issues with the bootloader after you modify the amount of memory.

I take back everything I said.  The Tetra is amazing.  Mine arrived today and it is _soo_ much better than the MkV

It says it only has 64mb of ram, but `free -m` show 128

Also, the lack of other USB ports is made up by the fact that it is designed to run off the network of a host PC -- this makes logging packets and other traffic manipulation _super_ easy.  It's so solid!  I don't need to worry about running out of space at all because all of my data is logged on a separate machine.  And the setup of the shared connection is also (relatively) easy, considering how complicated it would be to do it without the aid of all the really cool scripts this comes with.

All the bugs make sense, so far.  Some modules stop me from being able to turn off PineAP and/or change the activated PineAP modules.  I cannot connect to the broadcasted networks when I'm running the WPS attacks.  Etc.  

The interface is fast.  Everything is stable.  I love it.  I _love_ my Tetra.

Sorry about everything I said before.  Absolutely love it.

15 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

While this sounds cool in theory, you're probably going to have issues with the bootloader after you modify the amount of memory.

Well I mistakenly thought, because he had practically disassembled his tetra in his head, he'd have the Knowledge to solve this and any other problems he encountered.  Little did I know he didnt even own one yet. Sorry cant think of anything else to say I'm just speechless.

what a pilchard.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shadesoflight said:

Yeah man, guilty as charged.  The MkV had really made me sad, and I was playing with it waiting for my Mk6 Tetra to arrive when I realized the Mk6 had 64mb of ram also and no SD card slot.  I was really really sad.  But it really surpassed my expectations when it arrived.

Maybe don't be so harsh on a product you havnt even tested or seen the hard work that has gone into it next time.

Glad you're enjoying the Tetra.

• Upvote 1