EC-Council to begin charging annual membership fee

sud0nick

I received an email from EC-Council this morning as a CEH certification holder and they informed me that they will begin charging an annual fee for membership. This fee is $80 for "certification maintenance" which makes no sense and seems like just another certification organization seeking money for nothing. CompTIA has already produced this model of generating somewhat useless certifications and charging people money upfront and annually. It disgusts me that the industry has become so greedy. Here are some excerpts from the email I received.

Please be advised, effective January 1, 2016, EC-Council will be initiating the requirement for Membership fees for all certified members holding EC-Council certifications. In the year 2012, EC-Council had announced that it would be initiating this membership fee structure in 2016. We are proud to say our certification membership base continues to grow at a steady rate and the cyber security field is growing as a whole.

Holding a certification from EC-Council comes with many benefits and advantages but comes at an immense cost of maintenance to EC-Council. To continue to provide these benefits and elevate the value of EC-Council Certifications in the market, EC-Council has no choice but to implement a certification maintenance fee of $80.00 per annum.

The "maintenance" should be covered by the initial cost of the certification and one would think once they've earned it they don't need to provide more money. I emailed EC-Council and told them how greedy I think they are and that I won't renew my certification with them but I doubt they'll care.

I received an email from EC-Council this morning as a CEH certification holder and they informed me that they will begin charging an annual fee for membership. This fee is $80 for "certification maintenance" which makes no sense and seems like just another certification organization seeking money for nothing. CompTIA has already produced this model of generating somewhat useless certifications and charging people money upfront and annually. It disgusts me that the industry has become so greedy. Here are some excerpts from the email I received.

The "maintenance" should be covered by the initial cost of the certification and one would think once they've earned it they don't need to provide more money. I emailed EC-Council and told them how greedy I think they are and that I won't renew my certification with them but I doubt they'll care.

The EC-Council guys are a bunch of goons...I used to work for the Data Center that houses their servers, so we had to deal with them. They know absolutely nothing, and are PURELY in it for the money. Please don't subscribe to their BS. You're just feeding their ego and profits.