Introducing the WiFi Pineapple TETRA

Darren Kitchen

Been using Hak5's gear since MK III and first sales of the Ducky.

Dual band goodness at last...

Awesome...

(Fills basket with TETRA TAC BUND,YARDSTICK,DUCKY, and other asorted Hak5 goodies)

Here, have some ov mwa monnies....

Peace.

That's an absolutely valid point. At the time that we were creating the Mark V we had ambitious goals for the expansion. With the Mark V being the first foray into bespoke hardware I think I was a bit naive at what was actually achievable both practically and economically with the bus. For instance, I wanted a GPS slice - but as it turns out an off the shelf dongle did the job better and at lower cost than I could hope to make. I wanted a bluetooth serial slice - but again an off the shelf HC-05 did the same.

There was a single slice in the form of an HDK. Based on the popular arduino standard, it utilized the bus as a means to spur rapid development. I had hoped that with it we would realize unforeseen potential in this regard. Unfortunately that has yet to come to fruition in a massive way.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from and share in your disappointment. I'm still keen on the concept and I hope that with a "core" we can continue to add expansion options to the platform in a more standardized fashion.

With the "Mark VI" being realized as the TETRA and NANO, we reviewed what worked well and what didn't with the Mark V based on feedback and user testing, then we looked to streamline the experience with a focus on usability and performance. I'm confident that the 6th generation platform will bring innovation to the project -- and I'm sure you'll agree when it's ported to your Mark V -- just unfortunately not in this one particular regard.

Well even though i am disappointed, I do understand that the Mark V was Hak5's first major release that was built from the ground up in the Wifi Pineapple series and that it was a learning experience for you guys as well as us. I just don't feel that i got as much use out of it as expected due to changes in wifi security and other factors that your aware of as well as my learning curve and when purchased i was hoping it would be a solid platform that could be upgraded and built upon on a user level.

As i am sure you are aware i know several people complained that due to changes in the wifi security landscape that the mark V just didn't have the same spark as the Mark IV. Has Hak5 considered hiring freelance developers to help? (Seb does a great job and is a mad genius but sometimes it takes a few extra head with different experience to really get the juices flowing.)

Also since i mentioned learning curve and i know i am not the only person who has one. I know you guys are doing the Red Team training, but it been mentioned by me and others about offering something online as well. Although i am not sure about prices but Udemy makes a great platform for this and since most all your students will be directly refereed to by Hak5 they would only take a 15% cut for sue of their platform. Just a thought. Anyway i look forward to seeing what these knew products and software brings to the field and Thank you for your fast response.

What is the best antennas and boosters that stack with this for maxing it out? Links please :)

The TETRA already includes four onboard boosters and ships with 5 dBi SMA antennas. Like I said -- it's a powerhouse. Try the stock config before upgrading -- I think you'll be pleased :)

• Upvote 2

The TETRA already includes four onboard boosters and ships with 5 dBi SMA antennas. Like I said -- it's a powerhouse. Try the stock config before upgrading -- I think you'll be pleased :)

Thanks! But I really want it maxed out. Bought 2 NANO devices already, so I want this one to be better if I buy it :) If I really want it's possible to run it with 9dBi antennas with the included 29 dBm amplifiers right? Souce: http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/long-range-wifi-kit. I was thinking of this antennas: http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT004ANT/

Very excited to try the 6th gen out. I just placed my order for the TETRA. Do you guys have these in stock now or is there going to be a short delay in shipping? Assume you are probably backed up from the holidays. Great work as always!

Quick check on the site, doesn't say sold out, so I'd assume in stock.

And since they've been shut for two weeks, I'd say there'd be a delay, but that's normal.

As hard as it is to wait, all I can say is be patient and it will arrive. And be well worth it.

Quick check on the site, doesn't say sold out, so I'd assume in stock.

And since they've been shut for two weeks, I'd say there'd be a delay, but that's normal.

As hard as it is to wait, all I can say is be patient and it will arrive. And be well worth it.

Patience is my best friend for sure. This looks like a beast of a device. My mk5 hasn't gotten a lot of use the last few months.

I'm sure they have a ton of orders to catch up on. I probably should have placed my order as soon as it went live. Will be a nice late Christmas gift.

To be honest they were probably sold out shortly after the announcement came out. I wonder if they just marked it as sold out now that they are back in the office and processing orders.

Much popularity for a great product :)

We just put a brief hold on orders as we're facing an unforeseen delay -- details here: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37235-shipping-delay-for-wifi-pineapple-tetra/-- I'll keep that threat updated re: first batch.

Unlike the NANO, the TETRA has passed all certifications and...

Wonder if this will be it until the non development release? Or was this an actual release unlike the nano? Assuming not as it's the same UI.

The Tetra is the actual release.

Edited by Fallen Archangel

TETRA passed all certifications and has been filed. ID will be in the FCC database shortly. NANO passed SAR today and is being filed. Likewise an update to the 6th Generation software is underway with bug fixes and small feature updates, as well as API documentation and it looks like modules are coming together as well. We're on track for a very exciting January.

• Upvote 2

Sold out, Reminds me of the MarkV release.....Congrats Darren/Seb/Shannon/Sara and crew........

Poor Sara......I bet she is tired...I remember the pics of her trying to get MarkV's out......October 2013

I hope mine gets sent.....

If you already ordered it'll be in the first batch to go out in 2 weeks.

And if you wanna send encouraging notes to sara@hak5.org -- it'll likely brighten her day :)

Shannon and Patrick are in Vegas for CES this week so we're just holding down the fort.

Oh and Seb isn't allowed to sleep because the code doesn't write itself.... Unless he writes code to write code... Hmm

• Upvote 2

If you already ordered it'll be in the first batch to go out in 2 weeks.

And if you wanna send encouraging notes to sara@hak5.org -- it'll likely brighten her day :)

Shannon and Patrick are in Vegas for CES this week so we're just holding down the fort.

Oh and Seb isn't allowed to sleep because the code doesn't write itself.... Unless he writes code to write code... Hmm

Lol poor Seb. I think he needs uplifting emails too. You guys truly are awesome for keeping us all in the loop and working hard on this project. I really appreciate the transparency.

• Upvote 1

We just put a brief hold on orders as we're facing an unforeseen delay -- details here: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37235-shipping-delay-for-wifi-pineapple-tetra/-- I'll keep that threat updated re: first batch.

Saw that post AND got the email from you guys! Absolutely willing to wait - the 18th is not that bad at all. Glad you guys have kept in touch. Thank you again!