Brand new to pineapple

Onus

Hey all,

I just got my pineapple nano in the mail. YAY!?

It is my very first pineapple and i have no idea what i am doing with it.. I have it set up via my Kali machine, but with no modules available, i don't understand what good it is?

What can i do with no modules. A tutorial around the basic interface would be nice. Right now its acting like merely a usb->eth-wireless adapted (seemingly pointless)

I was trying to look up old pineapple tutorials, but the interface is so different and there is no infusions tab :(

What have i really bought here :( can't even run reaver with it.. so so sad..

Also, as far as using the android app, it is impossible as usb tethering is disabled on my device by my carrier :( sprint> nexus 6

someone please help this noob find his way in the land of pineapple

Erik

• Upvote 1

Oh I guess i should add, my hopes in getting this device was that with an sdcard i could run scripts like reaver v 1.5.2 and metasploit right from the pineapple.. perhaps i am not understanding what this thing actually is used for.. i am so sad, christmass is ruined

ok, well forgive me for being such a noob, and admitably kind of blindly buying the nano, but when modules are up will that be the same as infusions? And will i be able to run reaver and metasploit right from the nano?

The NANO is in its dev kit launch phase so that it can be developed for by programmers and evaluated by integrators. Think of it as a public beta. Eventually many "infusions" you see available for the Mark V now will be available as "modules" on the new device. Now is a great time to start learning.

• Upvote 1

Hey all,

I just got my pineapple nano in the mail. YAY!?

It is my very first pineapple and i have no idea what i am doing with it.. I have it set up via my Kali machine, but with no modules available, i don't understand what good it is?

What can i do with no modules. A tutorial around the basic interface would be nice. Right now its acting like merely a usb->eth-wireless adapted (seemingly pointless)

I was trying to look up old pineapple tutorials, but the interface is so different and there is no infusions tab :(

What have i really bought here :( can't even run reaver with it.. so so sad..

Also, as far as using the android app, it is impossible as usb tethering is disabled on my device by my carrier :( sprint> nexus 6

someone please help this noob find his way in the land of pineapple

Erik

The "Help" section in the UI does a great job at explaining all the areas of the device.

Ya I think for noobs you may want to hold off buying the dev nano

This release isn't what your looking for this release is more for the development community to start making modules and testing for the official release that way there are less questions about what can I do with it

But if you got a Development model Try looking at the modules and try making your hello world module who knows may you will make the nano better by contributing to the modules

As this is what this forum is all about

A community coming together to make the amazing hak5 products even better

Thru community input

• Upvote 1

I'm a couple days in now.. And everything is starting to make much more sense. I am new to pen testing as well but have experience developing with Java, C++, and python.. Would love a link to a good tutorial about developing mods.. That would be even more fun.. Anyone point me in a building pineapple mods 101 tut?

:)

• Upvote 2

Sweet.. I assume one develops in python? Ooh I'm super stoked to learn how to dev mods for the pineapple and graduate from script kiddie to junior.. Can't wait to see the API and a hello world mod..

Yes in another thread Seb said python is what's available when someone asked about ruby which isn't...

However couldn't you also develop them in a compiled language instead of interpreted as well? Like perhaps even if it has to have a python front end to make use of the compiled application, like in say C++? :smile:

I'll make a module or two also if I can code them in C++!

Anyone to clarify? Yes I realize you could just probably compile a binary on it or cross-compile for it's architecture and it wouldn't even need to be a module, but would it be acceptable to build a module that way?

Yes in another thread Seb said python is what's available when someone asked about ruby which isn't...

However couldn't you also develop them in a compiled language instead of interpreted as well? Like perhaps even if it has to have a python front end to make use of the compiled application, like in say C++? :smile:

I'll make a module or two also if I can code them in C++!

Anyone to clarify? Yes I realize you could just probably compile a binary on it or cross-compile for it's architecture and it wouldn't even need to be a module, but would it be acceptable to build a module that way?

I can clarify what languages are usable.

Webinterface Modules are written in AngularJS, interfacing with a PHP API. We make this process extremely simple though, so people unfamiliar with either should not have an issue.

The WiFi Pineapple also features CLI modules, which can be written in sh, ash, bash, php-cgi, and python. Theoretically, you could write the entire module in python and create a PHP wrapper, but this may not be the most efficient solutions.

If you want to ship compiled programs (c, c++, pyc), they will need to be cross-compiled to the WiFi Pineapple. Because we have no way of verifying what code a binary contains, hak5 will require a copy of the source code and will compile and host said binary in the software repository. This can then be pulled down by the module. If you do not agree with this, you can always host your module somewhere else and provide manual install instructions somewhere. Note however that if done on the forums, it will require a warning to users.

A guide and more information will become public soon, and that should clear up any other questions on the topic.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• Upvote 2

Thanks Seb! Yes that won't be an issue shipping the source code to be hosted and compiled by you guys is perfect! I'm glad native modules are supported, I much prefer writing native code but I guess I could also play around with JS as well! I know PHP too, so a JS interface for a PHP API should be fun also :grin:

Now I just need to get my Pineapple! Which I'm definitely going to now (real soon), and it seems like I'm just at the right time when things are taking off!

If you wrap python, an interpreted language, into php, also an interpreted language, the processor will likely spend more time interpreting than actually doing something useful.

• Upvote 1

Can you speak a little more about the inefficacy of all python? I love python

I probably should have been a little more clear.

On the WiFi Pineapple, python applications run just fine but starting an application takes a little longer as the CPU is a 400MHz MIPS. That means launching a python program which has a short runtime may not be the most efficient thing.

If for example you do want to make a webinterface module, you are required to use AngularJS interfacing with a PHP API. If you really wanted to use python, you would write a PHP wrapper for your python program, but for short actions, this may be too inefficient. I would image users are going to create hybrid solutions and use python for longer running or more complex applications.

Will there be anymore of the current Pineapples be sold before the Nano full release is put out? I saw some being sold on Ebay a few weeks again but didn't purchase in time and their all gone now and the auction prices for the current Pineapple are outrageous on Ebay.

No, we are not going to be selling any more WiFi Pineapple MKV devices. The hardware is end of life, as some chips have become unavailable. The WiFi Pineapple NANO is a much more reliable piece of hardware and we are very excited to have now launched it for evaluation. The hardware by the way is final -- the version you can purchase now is the same as on the big launch.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Hi all, my Wifi Pineapple Nano arrived in the UK today, itching to get started.

Before I do, a couple of questions about the basics:

1. I've bought a new 32Gb Micro SD card. Do I need to format that before inserting it into the Nano and booting it up for the first time?

2. I have the tactical edition; should I charge up the battery for an amount of time before using it, and if so for how long? Or can I start charging the battery and plug the Nano into it?

3. I've got a choice of machines I can connect it to for first use; Macbook (but probably wont due to ICS issues); a Win 7 machine, or a low powered Netbook running Kali as the native OS. Any thoughts on which one to go for?

Thanks all!

Hi Bolus and welcome to the WiFi Pineapple Community!

Let me get right to your questions:

1. You can insert the card right away, because you can format it using the WiFi Pineapple webinterface. Simply navigate to the Advanced module and select "Format SD card" from the dropdown in the USB panel. This will format the card ext4 and also create a 1GB swap partition. After the process is done, you may need to remove and re-insert the SD card for it to mount. Saying that, there is currently a bug with it not mounting at boot, but the upcoming firmware upgrade will resolve this.
  2. You can use it right away, but it would be best to let it charge first. Simply use the provided micro USB cable and wait until all four LEDs are light up. Should only take a couple of hours, depending on current charge level and rate of charging.
  3. Kali will make your life the easiest, but Win7 or OSX will do just fine. With OSX, there are issues with ICS (Thanks, Apple!), but I was recently told of a program called "IceFloor" which allows you to reliably do ICS. Not sure what other firewall settings you need to change though. In the end, if you don't mind linux, Kali is a good one.

I hope that answers all your questions :)

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• Upvote 1

I was kind of excited to get the pineapple this week but I don't see the utility of it yet. I've read the forum and help section but don't understand what is the Pine AP module other than renaming a wifi connection and giving access? Though I see people connect to it what else can I do? If would be kind to inform when modules will be released.

I was kind of excited to get the pineapple this week but I don't see the utility of it yet. I've read the forum and help section but don't understand what is the Pine AP module other than renaming a wifi connection and giving access? Though I see people connect to it what else can I do? If would be kind to inform when modules will be released.

You should direct PineAP questions the PineAP thread. There is already a ton of information there and all of your questions have already been answered. As for modules, they are not released by Hak5. Modules are developed by the community and will become available after the developers build them. I for one have been waiting for the new Pineapple Tetra to start porting my infusions over to modules and I'm sure I'm not the only one.