Questions about USB Tethering

wesleymok9

New question! Think I was a bit vague here and I pretty much answered it myself. I did the Linux set-up and could control Pine AP by logging in remotely with my tablet.

What I was asking was whether I could get direct access to the tablet with an OTG cable and Nethunter -- so far though it doesn't seem possible.

Which leads me to a new question. After having set everything up last night I was accessing the Nano remotely -- then something strange happened.

Although I had chosen the BSSIDs for the management tools after the Nano reset the APs were not visible.

Instead the Nano created an AP that I was locked out of --- the name is literally "Management" -- and didn't respond to either of the passwords I had entered in the config stage.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does it happen often? and is there a default password to get into "Management"? Haven't yet tried but pretty sure I can get back in by connecting to the computer -- but would be annoying If I was out and about with just the tablet and a hotspot to connect as I would be entirely locked out until I connected back to a laptop.

Muchly appreciated !

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Nexus 5X cellphone to use as an portable interface to the Nano. It is running android 6.0.1..

I installed the pineapple android app -- but I am unable to get it to work.
The Nexus 5X has a USB-C port -- and I purchased a "OTG capable" USB-C 3.1 to USB-A-female cable.
This cable works fine with USB flash media, USB keyboards and other USB stuff. The Nexus recognizes most things plugged into the cable. I have not tried a USB-Ethernet adapter.
When the nano is plugged into the cable, the Nexus does not recognize it -- and the Pineapple app wants you to turn on "USB tethering," but that option is "greyed out" (as the Nexus fails to recognize the nano via USB)
So it appears there might be a USB driver issue here of some kind. No idea. Is there any kind of diagnostic tool I can use here? I assume the nano enumerates as an ethernet adapter of some kind.
Using another cable for the Nexus ( a USB-C to USB-A male cable) plugged into the macbook air, the Nexus recognizes the mac and the USB tethering option is "lit" . So USB tethering is functional in this state.
Has anyone had the opportunity to test the Nano <-> Nexus 5X or 6P (USB-C) connection as being viable using the pineapple app?

Followup -- I plugged an Apple branded USB to ethernet adapter into the Nexus 5X USB-C OTG cable and cabled it to my LAN and this 1) disabled WIFI 2) picked up an IP address vis DHCP and 3) changed the icon on the top row. The same Apple branded adapter when plugged into Kali Linux enumerated as an "ASIX 88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet" ..

The Nano when plugged into Kali Linux similarly enumerates as "ASIX 88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet" so they both appear to be more or less identical as far as Linux is concerned save for the vendor ID...

Has anyone been able to get the Android Pinapple app working with a nano and a Nexus 5X or 6P?

I have but I had to flash a custom rom. The stock android, depending on your provider, wont tether due to TOS violations. So to start who is your carrier?

I have Straight Talk and they will not allow Wifi or USB tether. So to get around that problem I installed multirom and flashed CM13. I dont like running custom roms so I use Stock android for day to day stuff. When I want to WIFI tether with the nano and do things on the go, I just reboot into the secondary rom and Ive had great success with this. I have a 6P

I have two t-mobile sims -- one prepaid and one postpaid.

With either sim in the Nexus 5X phone, and with the Nano connected to the Nexus via the USB-C to USB-A female adapter cable, tethering is disabled on on the Nexus configure tethering page.

With either sim in the phone and the phone connected to my MacBook Air (with USB-C to USB-A male cable), USB tethering is able to be turned on. So the sim card/plan/carrier does not seem to be the problem here.

The cable is a variable here as well as what is connected to the cable. As stated previously, the OTG/USB-C cable inserted into the Nexus will connect just fine to all matters of USB peripherals.. including a USB ethernet adapter that acts exactly like the Nano hardware. So something else seems to be going on here.

So I just tryed it with my 6p and the usb-A to usb-C cable provided by google with the phone and it works just fine, Remember though I have to use a custom rom because my carrier does not support tether of any kind. Only downfall to this method is that the cable provided is only like 8in long so that sucks and ive also read that there are a lot of problems with cheap usb-A to usb-C cables that will not work at all or mess things up. So do your research on the usb-a to usb-c cable. If im not mistaken the 5x does not come with this cable but I could be wrong. Hope this has helped.

Thanks for the video -- Using the USB-C to USB-A male charging cable plugged into the nano's usb-a female receptacle works as described -- !

I had figured you could just plug the nano into a usb-c to usb-a female "OTG - like" adapter -- and then connect that to the male usb connector sticking out of the nano.

So preceding doesn't work on the Nexus 5X...

Using the other (female) port on the nano works when connected to a charging type cable -- but that port on the nano is now monopolized by the Nexus -- not that big a deal I guess as all you are looking for here is to get an upstream connection.

With my provider, for some reason even after rooting, the tether options for usb and wifi come up with an error to call my provider and will not let me do either one. So that is why I use a custom rom. I havent looked for anything to fix this problem for stock android yet. Also its a TOS violation for me to tether. Dang Straight Talk

• 2 weeks later...

Nano created an AP that I was locked out of --- the name is literally "Management" -- and didn't respond to either of the passwords I had entered in the config stage.

Has this happened to anyone else?

im having promblems with recon scans stuck at 100% . Noticed the Managment AP today . Is that not supposed to be brodcasted. I was trying so many different dam things, thought maybe i did that.

guess i need grab some logs and email hak5 support

Instead the Nano created an AP that I was locked out of --- the name is literally "Management" -- and didn't respond to either of the passwords I had entered in the config stage.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does it happen often? and is there a default password to get into "Management"? Haven't yet tried but pretty sure I can get back in by connecting to the computer -- but would be annoying If I was out and about with just the tablet and a hotspot to connect as I would be entirely locked out until I connected back to a laptop.

Muchly appreciated !

Yeah, it happens to me frequently: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/38042-management-ap-disconnects-and-wont-reconnect/

Out of curiosity, what was your power source?

When you tried logging in, did it establish a connection REALLY quickly and then bounce without an error, so it seems to be the wrong password... when it really isn't?

Also, could you check your PineAP pool and see if the management AP is getting added to it? I'm wondering it that may be an indication as to when the problem occurs.

Yeah, it happens to me frequently: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/38042-management-ap-disconnects-and-wont-reconnect/

Out of curiosity, what was your power source?

When you tried logging in, did it establish a connection REALLY quickly and then bounce without an error, so it seems to be the wrong password... when it really isn't?

Also, could you check your PineAP pool and see if the management AP is getting added to it? I'm wondering it that may be an indication as to when the problem occurs.

my power is 5v 1.5a wall charger. It took awhile trying to connect . On either my win7 or Kali i dont remember which, it showed ''managment'' and the other machine showed my managmant ssid name i actually create after resets. but that password didnt work

Nothing in my Pine pool or any pool

regards to op the nexus 7 is wifi only so google didnt see the need to put tethering capabilities or dam sdcard expansion,

Hey guys,

Can you recommend a cheap mobile phone that is compatible with nano's Tethering?

I have a 3G usb dongle but I'm unable to use it with the current firmware. (works fine on the mkv)

BTW, I have a HTC One m9 (factory unlocked) and it won't tether.

Thanks!

Yes with Straight Talk all tethering is disabled. There was a way to bypass that with root and changing the build.prop file by adding a line to enable tethering but with the jan or feb security update that is not an option to edit that file through ADB. Im currently looking for solution to this problem with the stock ROM. Alternatively you can flash a custom to enable the tether but I like the Stock nexus ROM and dont want to use a custom ROM like cyanogen mod or whatever to tether devices. When I find a working solution for the nexus I will definitely post the results and process.

I was unable to tether with my S4, rooted it and put a custom nexus rom on it and it was still disabled. Rather, it lets me "enable it" but never progresses past the error dialog stating "please connect your device now" in the connector app.

Do you have a link to that build.prop modification? Wondering if that'll fix it... though I've read others not having luck with this phone so it might just be a hardware limitation.

I'm using StraightTalk mobile service with an Asus Zenphone running Android. Tethering has been working fine with this combination.

However, I've also used a Nexus 7 that just has Wifi capability and it refuses to tether with the Pineapple. It will tether with other equipment like an SDR but not the pineapple. Reading through the forums it seems that many people have had the same struggle with the Nexus.

I'm using StraightTalk mobile service with an Asus Zenphone running Android. Tethering has been working fine with this combination.

However, I've also used a Nexus 7 that just has Wifi capability and it refuses to tether with the Pineapple. It will tether with other equipment like an SDR but not the pineapple. Reading through the forums it seems that many people have had the same struggle with the Nexus.

It depends on the version of Android on the Nexus 7. What do you have on it?

Archived