Questions about USB Tethering

wesleymok9

Very odd. I would think it would be a function of the OS not the SIM. There really is no data on the SIM to say "Disable tethering" unless there is something I haven't seen. Would be interesting to see if the SIM had a setting. But from my experience, SIM doesn't have hardly crap on it.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very odd. I would think it would be a function of the OS not the SIM. There really is no data on the SIM to say "Disable tethering" unless there is something I haven't seen. Would be interesting to see if the SIM had a setting. But from my experience, SIM doesn't have hardly crap on it.

It'd be the APN settings. Fairly common for providers of unlimited data plans to block tethering.

It'd be the APN settings. Fairly common for providers of unlimited data plans to block tethering.

That's because there is no such thing as "Unlimited" ANYTHING it's a marketing thing it makes people feel warm and comfy inside but the minute they notice on there end that you're pulling over 1GB of data that's when they will start sending you messages or calling you to ask why you're using that much data.

I laugh everytime I see a web hosting company offering "Unlimited Space & Bandwidth" because that is a lie if they claim to offer Unlimited everything for under $1,000 /m something's up even at $1,000 /m that's still fishy.

So far from what Ive found its a callout in the "build.prop" file, but that was for the nexus 5 and 6 but i would assume ( I haven't looked yet ) that it would be in the same place for the 6p and even 5x. You have to have root to edit this file. I can be done over adb shell or in a root file explore with text editor.

That seems like it would be a solution surely, and simple enough. As for 1gigabyte being "that much data" I'd have to disagree with that sentiment, even though that's how they want us to feel like. The false advertising of unlimited is also very dishonest and they have to stop saying that, then in the fine print it says 1 GB... lol how is 1gb unlimited? If you say unlimited yes surely it isn't REALLY unlimited but I'd expect that to mean at least like 50 or 100GB a month is practically unlimited. I did have a provider that let me use that much per month, and they called it unlimited too, but strangely it wasn't every month and certain months they would cut me off much sooner than that so I got fed up with that after a while...

as for:

"CANNOT BE USED FOR:"

Why let them know and how could they tell with certainty that you're tethering... Since you can download gigs on a mobile, or download gigs through your pc what is the difference? I mean really what is it? 4G is still 4G whether being used directly on a mobile, or through a pc connected to it in some way. Maybe if you share that connection with multiple devices you'll use more bandwidth, but so what it's your bandwidth isn't it? You could also use up all your bandwidth just on the mobile itself as well so I don't see how it is any different other than just oh hey your using an "extra" feature that we don't even provide you with, it's a built in feature, so even though that's the case more $ please...

Finally being able to have freedom with something you own is required and necessary. For example in the case of rooting apple devices (so you could run your own applications or alternative applications other than in the 'app store') it was ruled that yes the owner of the device is entitled and legally allowed to root and unlock their device since it is theirs and that being the case apple not being the owner can't arbitrarily decide what you can or can't run on your device! :smile: This was the right ruling of course and an example that not everything they don't want you to do for whatever reason can just be written in the terms and conditions and that prohibits you from doing so.

In this case however of blocking your service if they determine you're tethering, I think unfortunately they may actually be able to deny you service for it and that be legal and acceptable. Since even though they don't technically provide the feature since it's built in to your phone, it is more tightly coupled with the service they provide as that's what's being "tethered".

Im considering switching from Straight Talk to Google Fi just because they allow tethering, Id like to hold off on rooting for right now since Ive only had the phone for 2 days

That's because there is no such thing as "Unlimited" ANYTHING it's a marketing thing it makes people feel warm and comfy inside but the minute they notice on there end that you're pulling over 1GB of data that's when they will start sending you messages or calling you to ask why you're using that much data.

I laugh everytime I see a web hosting company offering "Unlimited Space & Bandwidth" because that is a lie if they claim to offer Unlimited everything for under $1,000 /m something's up even at $1,000 /m that's still fishy.

Each WiFi Pineapple we sell comes with UNLIMITED gratitude from everyone at Hak5 including but not limited to Seb, Sara, Shannon, Patrick, Jayson and myself. This is non-negotiable and must be agreed upon for use of the device. Check, it's in the terms of service. No backsies.

Each WiFi Pineapple we sell comes with UNLIMITED gratitude from everyone at Hak5 including but not limited to Seb, Sara, Shannon, Patrick, Jayson and myself. This is non-negotiable and must be agreed upon for use of the device. Check, it's in the terms of service. No backsies.

I will say i like the NANO over the MK5 I'm not sure if it's the slim pocket size or the responsive webui but it does make the experience a lot more better than before.

The NANO is my first pineapple devices, the MarkV was the first I had ever even heard of them. I want the TETRA but in my situation I cant pull the trigger on it yet. ( I just bought a $500 phone that screwed me on the tether, its an awesome device though ) The NANO is awesome, I attached 9dbi antenna, and its a beast, wifi 2 blocks away. I want to add the 5dbi amps to it but the hak store is sold out right now.

So Straight talk uses at&t sim and towers, they probably have to comply with certain rules to use those towers and tether is probably one of those rules

UPDATE: Got everything installed but sadly tethering appears to be blocked nexus 6 is rooted turned off data rebooted the phone tried to tether again keeps saying;

Your phone cannot currently connect to AT&T's server. Please try again later.

By the way im using WiFi right now and I it still won't let me tether the wifi im on tells me the same message .

---

I'm installing nethunter 3.0 on my nexus 6 then im gonna see if i can tether or not I got straighttalk today unlimited everything for $45 a month haven't even tried the wifi pineapple connector app to see if it will work with my nexus 6 or not just yoloing doing all this work.

I paid $240 for my nexus 6 local met up with a guy from craigslist that had one I was honestly surprised the nexus 6 is as big as some of the iPhones I've seen people with.

I got a $220 1 watt USB powered amp from shireen inc to review I'm honestly glad that no one bought it when i was selling it on ebay LOL.

83nFHk0.jpg

I got a $220 1 watt USB powered amp from shireen inc to review I'm honestly glad that no one bought it when i was selling it on ebay LOL.

Just made me wonder why most wifi boosters are around this price range, yet there's an 800mW one for $50 available in the hakshop (sold out).

Just made me wonder why most wifi boosters are around this price range, yet there's an 800mW one for $50 available in the hakshop (sold out).

Well here's the thing about Shireen Inc booster.

1. Powers by USB doesn't require a wall outlet to power it unlike the others.

So you can simply power the amp by using your laptop I find the one shireen is pretty handy for being usb powered.

I had a video on my youtube channel that showed the gain I got but the video got deleted along with like 30 others due to a mistake on my end :D

but yeah when you see a signal of -90 to -40s that's a huge gain for the price.

https://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/wireless-gear/products/long-range-wifi-kit

The 800mW booster in the HakShop is also powered by USB.

Agreed, amps make a significant difference.

ohh dang i never honestly knew the one from hak5 shop was usb powered i thought it required to be used connected to a power strip or wall outlet good to know if people ask me for a less expensive one.

Alright so to get back on the subject of tethering sadly it appears straighttalk blocks tethering the only thing I can really tell people to do is pull your sim card if you wanna use wifi and tether Easytether kinda works but you can't use the nano at least I haven't figured it out yet.

Don't really have time to mess with tethering but any of you figure a work around feel free to let us know.

Like I said I tried to enable tethering with straighttalk and it tells me to dial 611 or visit att.com/wireless to enable it.

But I was able to only tether wifi if I take my sim card out if you try to put it back in it will turn tethering off.

Alright guys so I spent a few minutes googling and came across a method that works for me.

You will need a rooted Nexus 5/6 phone.

I recommend you use this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118

Make sure you have the Android Driver installed on your machine.

grab TWRP force your device from here. Save it in the same folder as your adb/fastboot install.

Make sure your phone is connected to your computer, open command prompt and verify adb sees your phone.

Type:

adb devices

Now reboot to bootloader.

adb reboot bootloader

Now we boot from TWRP without having to flash/install it.

fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-img
Replace x.x.x with whichever version you have downloaded of TWRP When TWRP finishes booting, click Mount and check the box for /system

Now we need to pull the build.prop file.

adb pull /system/build.prop
Using a text editor add this line to the end of the build.prop file and save it.

net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
Now we push it back to the phone.

adb push build.prop /system/
Make sure the permissions are correct.

adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop
And lastly ( might might give an error for nexus 6 )

adb shell settings put global tether_dun_required 0
Now we just reboot

adb reboot
I haven't tested to see if the cellular data can be tethered however this fixed my issue with not being able to tether WiFi with my straight talk.

CREDITS: Goes to the people at XDA and Reddit not me.

SOURCE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/general/guide-how-to-unlock-tethering-nexus-5x-t3231301

Has anyone gotten the Samsung S4 Galaxy to connect to the NANO via USB?

Yes, I am running my NANO with a S4. And with USB-tethering enabled. The WiFi Pineapple android app doesn't work (tells me to configure tethering all the time) but still USB-tethering runs and clients get served :P

Works as a charm over here! I am currently having my S4 connected to a Wi-Fi in the area and the USB-cable attached to the NANO and I've enabled USB-Tethering in the S4. Clients connected to the Nano gets served with the Internet.

Now I only hope to get the issue with my SD-card solved so that I can get it up and running as it should.

But if anyone who owns a S4 and have issues with USB-Tethering let me know and I'll help out. I can add that I am running Android 5.0.1 on the S4.

/crashie

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

Just got my Nano in the post and have a couple of questions regarding the Pineapple Connector App.

I was thinking of using the Nano with my tablet (16gb NoWifi or tethering option but with Nethunter 3.0) which I use with an external hotspot. I don't have the option to configure USB tethering to share the internet connection from the tablet so don't *think* there's a way of using the pineapple connector app from Google Play.

My question then is whether I should be able to set the Nano up in Linux and then use the Pineapple connector in Nethunter to access it?

Thanks!

Archived