Questions about USB Tethering

wesleymok9

To make things worse, the 172.16.42.0/24 network doesn't seem available from the Android device, at least from my testing (There might be some configuration I am not aware of for this) , so we can't connect to 172.16.42.1:1471 from the android device...

The android app in the Play Store will help you.

"WiFi Pineapple Connector"

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I know that, but the behavior of Android is as I said, even with the app,

What the app seems to do to help is catch that DHCP address that is assigned to the pineapple and then open a browser to that address port 1471,

The issue is when I want to use the SSH terminal, I have to copy the said DHCP address from the browser,

I can simply not reach 172.16.42.1 from the android device, which would simplify things a lot for me, as far as the Web UI can go, sometimes I need a quick SSH session going to fiddle some things up..

I am simply wondering what prevents us from accessing the 172.16.42.0/24 network from the android side (Usually 192.168.42.0/24), I tried some configurations but I am far from a Linux/Android Expert,

I am out of ideas here...

Okay, I have done more testing with my phone.

I can get on my phone's data connection through USB tethering with my laptop. My phone isn't connected to wifi.

When I plug in my nano and try the same thing, I get issues not being able to connect to the nano. I flashed up to 1.0.3 and it is still doing the same thing.

any ideas on what I should try next now that I've ruled out it's my phone?

For info, my phone is the OnePlus One with cyanogenmod on it fully up to date.

Thank you.

Is anyone else not able to get the WiFi Pineapple Connector App to work on Android 5.1.1 on a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet I downloaded the app installed it powered on the NANO using Y Cable waited for the blue LED to be solid plugged in the OEM USB to Micro-USB to my tablet and the Male USB end to the USB on the NANO go to Configure on the WiFi Pineapple Connector App enabled Tether on my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi Tablet press the back button still says Terthing Disabled checked the Configure shows Tether is Tethered won't do anything else just shows the Tether Disabled screen.

Introduction:

This process requires an Android phone capable of running the EasyTether app which can be downloaded here: http://www.mobile-stream.com/a/easytether-device.apk and also possibly an SD card. The Lite version of the app prevents https & udp connection, so to use those you have to pay mobile stream $10 once, which I still think is better than paying your carrier that every month.

I do not endorse tethering data without your carrier's permission, proceed at your own risk.

I am currently working on a module that will automate this process, if you can't figure out this tutorial you can wait for that or contact me.

Setup on Android:

Download and install the EasyTether app and follow the in-app instructions for setting up USB Tethering.

Setup on the Pineapple:

You will need to install EasyTether for Openwrt located here: http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/drivers.html

I used the OpenWrt 15.05 --openssl which I show being downloaded below. NOTE: You may need an SD card for this as it is a larger file. The below commands assume you have an SD card set up correctly. If you do not with to install to your SD card ignore the --dest sd options below and know that it may not work.

root@Pineapple:/sd# wget http://www.mobile-stream.com/beta/openwrt/easytether-usb-openssl_0.8.5-1_openwrt-15.05-rc3.zip
Once you downloaded the package, install unzip so you can open the previously downloaded compressed package. (BTW if anybody knows the the two errors at the bottom are let me know, to my knowledge they do not effect the packages being installed. My assumption is that opkg is searching in /usr when it should be looking in /sd/usr).

root@Pineapple:/sd# opkg install unzip --dest sd
Installing unzip (6.0-3) to sd...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/unzip_6.0-3_ar71xx.ipk.
Configuring unzip.
grep: /usr/lib/opkg/info/unzip.control: No such file or directory
cat: can't open '/usr/lib/opkg/info/unzip.list': No such file or directory 
Then unzip the EasyTether application.

root@Pineapple:/sd# unzip easytether-usb-openssl_0.8.5-1_openwrt-15.05-rc3.zip
Then cd to the correct application distribution.

root@Pineapple:/sd# cd 15.05-rc3/ar71xx/generic/
Then install the application!

root@Pineapple:/sd/15.05-rc3/ar71xx/generic# opkg install easytether-usb-openssl_0.8.5-1_ar71xx.ipk --dest sd
After that you can run the application (you do not need to be in any specific directory anymore)

root@Pineapple:/sd/15.05-rc3/ar71xx/generic# easytether-usb
Now control-C because the Pineapple doesn't have Internet just yet, you need to configure it to allow Internet sharing from Android by running the below command (all the lines at once).

cat << EOF >> /etc/config/network

config interface 'wan'
option ifname 'tap-easytether'
option proto 'dhcp'
EOF
You should be all set and see "Connection Established" if you followed the Android instructions correctly and have Internet on your Pineapple!

If you need more help ask me or read MobileStream's tutorial.

Good luck guys!

Have you tried this?

No. My USB tethering is working confirmed with my laptop this morning.

Yeah I dunno how you setup tethering on a Laptop but I do know I was only able to access the NANO over USB from a laptop

by tethering I assume you mean using the wp6.sh

Tether with an iPhone via USB? That wouldn't be possible for two reasons.

1) It isn't possible because that functionality is not supported. An iPhone can only be used for charging and syncing data with iTunes.

2) An app would be needed; there isn't one for IOS.

Tether with an iPhone via USB? That wouldn't be possible for two reasons.

1) It isn't possible because that functionality is not supported. An iPhone can only be used for charging and syncing data with iTunes.

2) An app would be needed; there isn't one for IOS.

That's not totally correct - iPhones support USB tethering, but using a different standard - one which we do not currently support, but hopefully will down the line.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Not sure if anyone else has this or not.. maybe a weird bug? If so I'll open ticket.

I downloaded the connector app, installed it on my android phone.. Samsung Galaxy S4

Booted the nano with the juice pack.. then took the cable that came with the nano, to phone to nano. Didn't see doesn't see any USB device to enable, so I can't turn it on.

Used another two different cables, and when I launched the connector APP again, it comes up with the prliminary "You need to enable USB tethering". So I go ahead and hit configure. Enable. I see "device connected:

Then go back as per the video.

Problem is, i keep getting the USB tethering needs to be enabled prompt even when it's turned on.

Any suggestions? I'm not blaming the nano.. just trying to figure out why the two won't communicate

It's a known issue. Different phones use different tethering standards. There are a couple posts here about it if you're inclined to scour for them. Otherwise I'll gladly post a link to a workaround once I'm back at my computer.

Edit: Found it from my phone anyway: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37101-questions-about-usb-tethering/?fromsearch=1

Darren says:

Sounds like your AT&T phone is doing something "special" with tethering. We're using the standard API AFAIK. Surely it's a matter of debugging.

Here's a workaround until we can diagnose the idiosyncrasies of these carrier specific tethering functions:

1. Connect the NANO to your Android device and enable USB Tethering as usual

2. From another device/computer, connect to the NANO via the WiFi Management interface.

3. SSH into the NANO and issue ifconfig

4. You should have a usb0 interface with an IP address in a 192.168.x.x range. That's your NANOs IP on your Android devices network.

5. On the Android device, open Chrome and browse to 192.168.x.x:1471 (as derived from step 4)

From my experience the DHCP leases on Android USB tethering is pretty long so it'll likely always be at that address.

UPDATE: I had to use my Laptop to access the Pineapple NANO to find out what the IP Address was for the NANO under the ifconfig tab for the networking section of the NANO I noticed my LAN was 192.168.42.70 so I went to 192.168.42.70:1470 im able to login just fine using that IP I hope the pineapple connector app gets fixed i'd like to be able to use that in the future.

-----

I'm having a similar problem with the WiFi Pineapple Connector App made a thread https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37361-wifi-pineapple-connector-app-issue/about it still haven't got the issue fixed yet so I can't even use it.

Tested cables.

Here's what I learned:

Power is plugged separate via the male USB on the NANO.

Connect phone to NANO via female port

- Had to use the cable that came with my phone (Not a USB 3.0, but must allow data transfer)

- The adapter / cables that came with my Field Kit / NANO didn't seem to like data transfer?

The phone then allowed me to enable USB tethering and I was able to connect to the NANO.

Hope this helps.

That solves my Problem with tethering for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. It does not accapt the delivered Cables. After taking the original Samsung Cable my Pad can connect to the Nano and the greyed out tethering option was working correctly. tryed every workaround from here but none helped me. Maybe u guys from hak5 can deliver the nano with a better/more compatible usb cable... to avoid other customers get frustrated. :) btw... awesome work with the nano. im very happy with my stick! thanks for ur work & perfect service.

That solves my Problem with tethering for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. It does not accapt the delivered Cables. After taking the original Samsung Cable my Pad can connect to the Nano and the greyed out tethering option was working correctly. tryed every workaround from here but none helped me. Maybe u guys from hak5 can deliver the nano with a better/more compatible usb cable... to avoid other customers get frustrated. :) btw... awesome work with the nano. im very happy with my stick! thanks for ur work & perfect service.

The nano doesn't come with a cable. The battery pack comes with a cable, it's a charge only cable.

I'm confused. I bought a Nano only and it came with a Y cable that allows me to use it for ICS with a laptop.

The WiFi Pineapple NANO comes with one USB-Y cable for power / ICS with a laptop. The confusion lies with people buying a WiFi Pineapple NANO Tactical bundle and receiving a charge only micro USB cable (to charge the battery).

ZaraByte, sell that nexus 7, today on eBay..... Even Craigslist.....you have a bad unit......jeez you know way more than I do......my nexus 6 with 5.1 with the second Nethunter works better, give up the ghost. It's not the NANO.

ZaraByte, sell that nexus 7, today on eBay..... Even Craigslist.....you have a bad unit......jeez you know way more than I do......my nexus 6 with 5.1 with the second Nethunter works better, give up the ghost. It's not the NANO.

So everyone should sell their Nexus 7 2013 tablet just so they can use their NANO I'd rather figure away to fix the issue then just give but right now the NANO will just have to be put off to the side I mean the NANO works it's just the WiFi Connector App just doesn't do anything other then take me to the tethering section after that it doesn't do anything I mean yeah I've seen what it's supposed to do but it doesn't.

I've tried at least 4 different USB Charger cables 3 will enable tethering the other cable shows the Tethering disabled and cannot be enabled with that cable so 3 cables appear to allow tethering to work I just hate having to guess what the IP is gonna be everytime I connect to a new AP.

I'm not really sure as to what it can be so far one person with a Nexus 7 has been able to get it to work I even flashed to the same firmware of android he had and still nothing.

one thing I wanna mention is I notice the blue LED light will go out when I when enable Tethering and then it comes back on after about 5 seconds..

I'm not gonna spend $300 just to get a Cell phone to use the NANO with I mean We need to get people to start up a thread letting people know what devices the NANO works on and what it doesn't work on.

Darren clearly said that not all devices are supported so maybe it's time we get people to start telling people know which devices are working and which ones might have issues.

Well I can't even get on IRC with my outdated iPhone 6, I know your frustration for sure, i don't think it's the Nexus 7, maybe it's the one you have or 5.1.1......Other people on 5.1 are able to make it work, maybe it's 5.1.1..... I'm on 5.1 on a Nexus 6.... I understand its a Nexus 6 5.1, but it works...... Yay it works good.

I just bought an android phone, more specifically a BLU phone that comes with Android Lollipop just so that I can make my Nano mobile, but it's having a lot of problems. It won't deauth anyone and it will not even show the spoofed PineAPs. When I use it with my computer it works normally. What could be the reason for this?

Archived