Questions about USB Tethering

wesleymok9

Here is the phone http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Dash-Smartphone-Unlocked-Black/dp/B0170O5198/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453781183&sr=8-2&keywords=blu+dash

The android version is 5.1.

Basically all I have done is use the battery pack to power it up and I have a wire connected to the phone and to the nano for tethering.

Also, I don't know if this is worth mentioning or not, the phone is connected to the home wifi that it's tethering with the pineapple. I don't have a SIM card on it because I specifically got it just for the pineapple nano.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it wouldn't get WiFi initially, I just wanted to check if your phone could load the interface and see things as it should without plugging it in.

You should be able to connect to the management AP and deauth clients from there. This seems like an interesting problem.

What does the error say?

Can you use your laptop and check what version the firmware you are running. After you login to the dashboard, it will be located under "Advanced". It should read 1.0.5.

You can get the latest firmware using OTA update or view https://www.wifipineapple.com/nano for more details on manual download and flashing.

After the update, you will have to re-configure the device. After that, double check if the Management AP is running via the "Networking" section. The "Disable Management AP" checkbox should not be checked.

If you are currently on the latest firmware, I would suggest resetting the default WiFi settings using the "Networking" section, clicking the down arrow next to "Advanced" and reset the WiFi settings to default. After this, you will have to reconfigure the wireless interfaces. You will need to refresh the page or simply select a different option on the dashboard and then return to "Networking". The default management AP SSID is Management.

If the NANO works on the laptop it may be some odd ball thing with the phone that can be looked into further. I may see if I can find the same model phone to borrow, test one in store, or buy one and see if I can get it to work.

Not sure where I should post this, just wanted to add:

I own a Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) running stock 5.0.1, carrier is Ting.

The pineapple connector app would not leave the prompt to tether despite USB tethering being enabled.

I found the IP of the pineapple via ssh from a laptop plugged in via the male USB, but also found I could find it via port scanning on the phone.

With the IP I successfully was able to connect via browser an ssh on the phone.

Not sure where I should post this, just wanted to add:

I own a Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) running stock 5.0.1, carrier is Ting.

The pineapple connector app would not leave the prompt to tether despite USB tethering being enabled.

I found the IP of the pineapple via ssh from a laptop plugged in via the male USB, but also found I could find it via port scanning on the phone.

With the IP I successfully was able to connect via browser an ssh on the phone.

I'm having the same issue i'm looking to find someone I know local who has a newer Android device that can download the WiFi Pineapple Connector App and see if the nano will work with their phone.

It doesn't wanna work with my tablet but other people claim the app works fine with their tablet so i'm not sure if it's an issue with my OEM charger cable or if it's android or what but I've tried at least 6 different versions of Android and 4 different charger cables.

Done sold my tablet to my mom possibly gonna buy a Nexus 6 and if the wifi pineapple connector app works with the nexus 6 I order I might just get phone service :B

What is supplying internet to the nano?

PC through ICS? Third party wifi adapter? Client mode? An android phone? What happens when you launch the Connector app?

I am tethering it via an android phone. When I launch the connector app it firsts asks me to enable usb tethering, which I do, and then after I go back it tells me to wait and 5-10 seconds later it will open up chrome and load the page. Everything works but when I connect as a client I don't have Wi-Fi

What provided cable? And you dont need OTG. Video coming.

Video by Darren:

Video by Mr-Protocol:

Thanks

Forgot I had to plug phone into USB input at the top of the Nano.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got my nexus 6p today and it won't let me turn on usb tethering or WiFi hotspot to make a connection to my NANO. I keep getting a message I need to contact my provider. It's an at&t unlocked running on straight talk. I'd rather not root it but if that's what I have to do then so be it

Ugh, I feel for you man. Don't even get me started about Straight Talk. I had 'em cut me off after a gig on my "unlimited" plan. Called support only to have an agent talk down to me and insinuate that I'm a bad person for streaming Pandora and that there's only one warning before they suspend my service forever. Anyway, suffice it to say we could have a special board dedicated to the suckage of carriers, but I digress...

Root and don't look back if ya ask me!

So I just got my nexus 6p today and it won't let me turn on usb tethering or WiFi hotspot to make a connection to my NANO. I keep getting a message I need to contact my provider. It's an at&t unlocked running on straight talk. I'd rather not root it but if that's what I have to do then so be it

If StraightTalk finds out your Tethering they will Terminate your account.

It be like me talking about illegal stuff on hak5 it's against the TOS it's against the user agreement and TOS of StraightTalk to Tether your phone's 3g/4g services.

STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER YOUR DEVICE TO A LAPTOP OR PERSONAL COMPUTER OTHER THAN FOR THE USE OF WIRELESS SYNC. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

States that on Section 6. near the bottom just before section 7.

However i'm planning to get StraightTalk with my Nexus 6 and i'll Tether till they terminate my account. Granted I won't Tether 24/7 only when i'm out.

I had my moto x dev edition rooted and tethered for my NANO only so im not to worried to much about there TOS, I did it with my nexus 5 also and never had any problems with Straight Talk yet.

Ugh, I feel for you man. Don't even get me started about Straight Talk. I had 'em cut me off after a gig on my "unlimited" plan. Called support only to have an agent talk down to me and insinuate that I'm a bad person for streaming Pandora and that there's only one warning before they suspend my service forever. Anyway, suffice it to say we could have a special board dedicated to the suckage of carriers, but I digress...

Root and don't look back if ya ask me!

Ive rooted every android I have ever owned, I want to see how the 6p does updates because it did one update when I turned it on and then did 2 security updates right after. Eventually it will be rooted, I just hate dealing with OTA updates after rooting.

Im going to find a way somehow someway and if its legit ill post it up for others.

i ordered it off amazon and im pretty sure it is not carrier specific, like the moto x pure edition, but I have an at&t sim provided by straight talk, Idk if it would have something to do with the APN configuration

Archived