Questions about USB Tethering

wesleymok9

I just got the pineapple nano in the mail today. I tried hooking it up to the Note 4 and enabling the USB tethering as shown from the setup video. For some reasons there have been issues enabling the USB tether. I'm not sure if it's because I am using Verizon. Are there any ways to go around this issue.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried it on a stock note 4 on Verizon also. So I used my old Samsung Galaxy S3 w/cyanogenmod and it all worked fine. It did remind me to usb tether it had to turn off wifi. After doing the firmware update I tried the note 4 again and it worked this time. Yes, its cyanogenmod time for the Note 4.

I'm having odd issues with USB tethering on my HTC One M8 as well. I have an AT&T plan that unlocks the feature, the option to enable is available, upon turning it on I receive a message that USB tethering is indeed enabled, but the Pineapple app continues to say I need to configure USB tethering first and never moves past that initial prompt. I've tried many combinations of actions (like maybe if I close the application, then enable USB tethering, then open the app, then hit Configure, then disable USB tethering, then re-enable, then go back to the app, etc etc) but the Pineapple app is still stuck at insisting I need to enable USB tethering.

Even tried multiple cables, different power sources.. Not sure. Odd.

My next issue is that, in Linux, mine shows up as eth1 but refuses to hand out an IP address. :lol: Ahh I love learning new hardware. I'll figure it out eventually.

My next issue is that, in Linux, mine shows up as eth1 but refuses to hand out an IP address. :lol: Ahh I love learning new hardware. I'll figure it out eventually.

Scratch that! This was only an issue with the Kali build on my laptop. Tried another PC and we're all good in Linux. Now to continue the USB tethering adventure.

Sounds like your AT&T phone is doing something "special" with tethering. We're using the standard API AFAIK. Surely it's a matter of debugging.

Here's a workaround until we can diagnose the idiosyncrasies of these carrier specific tethering functions:

1. Connect the NANO to your Android device and enable USB Tethering as usual

2. From another device/computer, connect to the NANO via the WiFi Management interface.

3. SSH into the NANO and issue ifconfig

4. You should have a usb0 interface with an IP address in a 192.168.x.x range. That's your NANOs IP on your Android devices network.

5. On the Android device, open Chrome and browse to 192.168.x.x:1471 (as derived from step 4)

From my experience the DHCP leases on Android USB tethering is pretty long so it'll likely always be at that address.

Sounds like your AT&T phone is doing something "special" with tethering. We're using the standard API AFAIK. Surely it's a matter of debugging.

Here's a workaround until we can diagnose the idiosyncrasies of these carrier specific tethering functions:

1. Connect the NANO to your Android device and enable USB Tethering as usual

2. From another device/computer, connect to the NANO via the WiFi Management interface.

3. SSH into the NANO and issue ifconfig

4. You should have a usb0 interface with an IP address in a 192.168.x.x range. That's your NANOs IP on your Android devices network.

5. On the Android device, open Chrome and browse to 192.168.x.x:1471 (as derived from step 4)

From my experience the DHCP leases on Android USB tethering is pretty long so it'll likely always be at that address.

Darren, that worked perfectly. Until I can figure out what goofiness AT&T is doing with my tethering, this solution will work just fine.

I appreciate the help!

Tested cables.

Here's what I learned:

Power is plugged separate via the male USB on the NANO.

Connect phone to NANO via female port

- Had to use the cable that came with my phone (Not a USB 3.0, but must allow data transfer)

- The adapter / cables that came with my Field Kit / NANO didn't seem to like data transfer?

The phone then allowed me to enable USB tethering and I was able to connect to the NANO.

Hope this helps.

I'm having odd issues with USB tethering on my HTC One M8 as well. I have an AT&T plan that unlocks the feature, the option to enable is available, upon turning it on I receive a message that USB tethering is indeed enabled, but the Pineapple app continues to say I need to configure USB tethering first and never moves past that initial prompt.

i have this going on with my galaxy tab.

and my phone has the usb tether option grayed out issue. no matter data cable

both using t-mobile prepaid sim

works fine on pc. linux

thinking here...later i try see what happens using my phone and tabs linux

i have a htc one m8 europian version when i connect the nano whit usb thetering on the phone sees nano but the app stil says no usb tethering enabled

i can choose diverent options in the tethering menu

smart usb tethering

usb tethering

troughput of internet

mirror link

on all the options i can not connect to the nano true the app

the computer sees the nano and my phone if i connect them seperetly

so the phone and the nano works

also the phone says htc sync manager dowload popup and media mtp connected

what can i do more to connect my app to the nano

tnxs

i have a htc one m8 europian version when i connect the nano whit usb thetering on the phone sees nano but the app stil says no usb tethering enabled

i can choose diverent options in the tethering menu

smart usb tethering

usb tethering

troughput of internet

mirror link

on all the options i can not connect to the nano true the app

the computer sees the nano and my phone if i connect them seperetly

so the phone and the nano works

also the phone says htc sync manager dowload popup and media mtp connected

what can i do more to connect my app to the nano

tnxs

It's really hard to debug without having the same phone / OS as you.

What I can do is update the app to add some debug information which would allow us to get some more information to remedy this issue.

Sadly, because I am incredibly busy, I won't get around to that until maybe mid January.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

i run android 5.0.1 htc sense version 6.0 can i share screenshots of the menu here .png ? on the pc it works fine keep up the good work and enjoy the holidays

That won't be required. I'm going to have to see what interfaces are doing what on your device and then I can add them to the list of interfaces that can be tethering interfaces.

You may be able to provide this information by downloading something like "Better Terminal Emulator" and running "ifconfig" on a local shell after you have started to tether. If you can give me the entire output of that, I might be able to make this work faster.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

i dont have root on my phone and with the terminal app nothing shows up as i type ifconfig do i need root?

You might. Depends on the manufactuerer, the OS, etc. As I said, no easy way for me to debug until I have time to add debugging to the app.

Does anybody have a workaround for tethering to the pineapple without a tethering plan? (root can be required)

I have attempted ClockworkMod Tether but this requires a listener on the computer end which uses NodeJS and adb, neither of which I can find precompiled for openwrt. I have not attempted cross compiling either of those because I couldn't find an adb source.

I also attempted using iptables, which my phone either had preinstalled or it came with BusyBox, but I just don't know this program well enough to figure out how set up internet sharing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If you have iptables on your phone it's not inconceivable that you could use wp6.sh (or the iptables commands from it) to setup tethering via eth0.

In this way you'd connect the NANO to your phone over the male USB connector (power/eth0) just like you would with a computer and it'll recognize as an ethernet device on your android.

Archived