scripting languages supported by the nano?

rek2wilds

No, ruby is not shipped with the WiFi Pineapple, as it is a little too big. This is why we decided on shipping it with Python.

The current firmware is based on the latest stable release of OpenWRT (Chaos Calmer).

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Cool thanks. well I guess it is python then :) have a couple ideas for modules.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Perl doesn't seem to be available through opkg :

root@Pineapple:~# opkg install perl
Unknown package 'perl'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package perl.

Doesn't show up in "opkg list" either.

So I was wondering if there is a manual way to download the package that is distributed for the standard Pineapple ?

Did you run opkg update first? After every reboot you must run opkg update prior to other commands. Give it a shot!

telot

So I believe this has been an issue since the MK5 where the pineapple will be connected to the internet then after so many hours it just loses connection somehow to the ISC.

Here is a screen shot of the NANO up and running for 1 day 6 hours I connected to the NANO and it was unable to connect to the internet so some hours later after setting up ISC internet has been lost I guess the only thing you can try is to re run the wp6.sh and configure it again

DyJpEdr.jpg

Hi ZaraByte,

Am I understanding correctly that simply running the wp6.sh script will fix the connection? Do you reboot the WiFi Pineapple NANO, or change any configuration on the device?

If all you do is run the wp6.sh script, the issue seems to be with the OS / Network manager and not with the WiFi Pineapple.

As an example, I use the gnome network manager and I have not encountered the issue before. I'll take a look at Kali and see if I can get the same results as you.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Thank for the detailed feedback and screenshot. That sucks it's disconnecting for you. Sorry that's happening. I've had that happen to me before too. Annoying. It's always a fight with NetworkManager in Gnome Ubuntu. I ended up stopping the service since I prefer to configure my interfaces manually anyway. It's probably different in Kali - but that's not my day-to-day OS. Will give it a whirl.

For what it's worth, we have a test pineapple here at the office that only reboots for firmware test images and it seems to be trucking away for nearly a week so I know it's possible with ICS.

08zHZJz.png

Hi ZaraByte,

Am I understanding correctly that simply running the wp6.sh script will fix the connection? Do you reboot the WiFi Pineapple NANO, or change any configuration on the device?

If all you do is run the wp6.sh script, the issue seems to be with the OS / Network manager and not with the WiFi Pineapple.

As an example, I use the gnome network manager and I have not encountered the issue before. I'll take a look at Kali and see if I can get the same results as you.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Seb I'm not sure if running the wp6.sh script will fix it or not however im gonna setup my pineapple tonight and let it run till I wake up and i'll check the internet on my NANO and see maybe its just an issue with Kali Linux I don't really have any other device to test the NANO with im using OS X now so I would have to setup a Windows computer if I was gonna test with Windows.

But I believe maybe it might be an issue with Kali Linux cause this has been an issue with the MK5 where after I'd set up ISC using the script internet would be fine but sometime later on the internet is I guess no longer being shared with the NANO.

But im gonna set it up again tonight and see if running the wp6.sh will get internet working on it again or not I had the NANO up and running for 1 day 6 hours but unplugged it I was curious if their would be anything in dmesg I should post or what for logs the next time this happens.

Thank for the detailed feedback and screenshot. That sucks it's disconnecting for you. Sorry that's happening. I've had that happen to me before too. Annoying. It's always a fight with NetworkManager in Gnome Ubuntu. I ended up stopping the service since I prefer to configure my interfaces manually anyway. It's probably different in Kali - but that's not my day-to-day OS. Will give it a whirl.

For what it's worth, we have a test pineapple here at the office that only reboots for firmware test images and it seems to be trucking away for nearly a week so I know it's possible with ICS.

Yeah it's a big deal I just was curious if it was an issue with Kali Linux I didn't think it be a problem with the pineapple I'm curious when you have free time if you can maybe give me a quick walkthrough on how you configure your pineapple with Kali so I can see if that will fix my problem if you say it's a network manager problem

If you're going to leave it on overnight you could also run something like the following on the NANO

while true; do ping -c1 8.8.8.8 >> /root/uptime.log; uptime >> /root/uptime.log; date >> /root/uptime.log; sleep 60; done

Then you'll have a lot file in /root in the morning that'll show if/when the Internet connection died and if it came back up for any point in time. Comparing that based on the timestamp to the dmesg output on the Kali side might also be helpful.

If you're going to leave it on overnight you could also run something like the following on the NANO

while true; do ping -c1 8.8.8.8 >> /root/uptime.log; uptime >> /root/uptime.log; date >> /root/uptime.log; sleep 60; done

Then you'll have a lot file in /root in the morning that'll show if/when the Internet connection died and if it came back up for any point in time. Comparing that based on the timestamp to the dmesg output on the Kali side might also be helpful.

EDIT: Figured the command out gonna let it run overnight and see what the outcome in in the morning.

-----

Hey darren thanks the reply im curious as to how im supposed to use the above command is that from the NANO webui or on Kali Linux?

Would like to try this wednesday night if you can reply before then

Edited by ZaraByte

im curious as to how im supposed to use the above command is that from the NANO webui or on Kali Linux?

Would like to try this wednesday night if you can reply before then

SSH into the nano after you have internet connectivity on the nano through your kali linux ics,

then run that command on the nano.

It'll give you a log stored at /root/uptime.log showing ping results

(you may want to put it on /sd/uptime.log if you plan to leave it running for a long time and you have an sd card in the nano)

That'll give you a log so you can see if the nano lost connection and regained it at any point or if it just plain loses internet for good after it lost it once

• Upvote 1

Okay so my nano lost it's ISC after 9 hours.

Here's the dmesg from Kali Linux first

http://pastebin.com/cQ088tNH

uptime log from kali

http://pastebin.com/E9W5dcn1

It does look like it lost connectivity at the end of the uptime log.

I have no idea how to interpret the dmesg stuff (i still have a lot to learn about linux unfortunately)

But I would guess something between where it looks like it setup eth1 and then towards the end where it showed eth1 again as well as some of the association stuff with wlan0 is describing why there is a problem.

If you are using wlan0 as your connection for internet to share with the nano have you tried with an ethernet connection instead and see if it looses connectivity that way? if it doesn't then i would lean towards the wireless card is going into power saving mode but that's just based off my windows experiences.

Take all of that with a grain of salt because I really don't know for sure what most of that dmesg stuff means honestly :)

...it looks like your machine went to sleep...

Working my way from the bottom up, this was at line 1170.

[ 8525.857200] ACPI: Preparing to enter system sleep state S3

Also, if you're using a laptop with kali, closing the lid will cause the system to sleep unless you edit one of the configuration files.

Open /etc/systemd/logind.conf and change the line that says "# HandleLidSwitch=sleep" to "HandleLidSwitch=ignore". Then either restart your system or restart run:

systemctl restart systemd-logind

Edited by Fallen Archangel

okay so the first post I did of the dmesg was after I admit I had turned my laptop into sleep mode so the light would not keep me awake I left the laptop on all day the screen never once has turned off.

Here's the dmesg for today with the screen being on all day.

http://pastebin.com/Q6XKMJ59

Here's the uptime log from Kali linux to the NANO

http://pastebin.com/kXDPCeCe

Here's the uptime log from inside the nano

http://pastebin.com/S8XTPyJb

Edited by ZaraByte

Hi ZaraByte,

Your Kali system is still going to sleep:

[ 8519.093022] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
[ 8519.099383] PM: Preparing system for sleep (mem)
[ 8519.099722] (NULL device *): firmware: direct-loading firmware iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
[ 8519.099735] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
[ 8519.101600] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
[ 8519.102759] PM: Suspending system (mem)
[ 8519.102782] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)

From the NANO log, it just looks like the connection is cut at some point (kali going to sleep most likely).

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Hi ZaraByte,

Your Kali system is still going to sleep:

[ 8519.093022] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
[ 8519.099383] PM: Preparing system for sleep (mem)
[ 8519.099722] (NULL device *): firmware: direct-loading firmware iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
[ 8519.099735] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
[ 8519.101600] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
[ 8519.102759] PM: Suspending system (mem)
[ 8519.102782] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)

From the NANO log, it just looks like the connection is cut at some point (kali going to sleep most likely).

Even if you disable sleep, you might need to disable power saving mode for your WiFi Card.

Either way, you can see in the dmesg how the networking is shut down while preparing for sleep, and how it is built back up when it wakes up.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne